?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Last Time You Said That, You Didn't Actually Get Any Jellies - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

February 27th, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:38 pm - Last Time You Said That, You Didn't Actually Get Any Jellies
Wait, wait: final guesses on whodunit:

Poll #936924 A mystery for the ages!

Whodunit?

Professor Plum
2(3.6%)
Miss Scarlet
10(18.2%)
Colonel Mustard
4(7.3%)
Mrs. White
2(3.6%)
Mr. Green
5(9.1%)
Mrs. Peacock
1(1.8%)
Wadsworth
5(9.1%)
Communism
26(47.3%)


Well, that was different. A little underwhelming and less exciting than "Spit and Eggs," but I liked that it was less "Let's put Veronica in danger" and more "Let's let Veronica solve a crime."

sincerelysummer would like to remind you that she called Tim Foyle, albeit with an incorrect motive, from the very beginning. I would like to remind you that I called Tim Foyle, and with pretty much the correct motive, last week. This was before I went to the writers' offices and had my suspicions confirmed by the whiteboard with everyone's appearances on it throughout the season. Because after this episode, Tim Foyle flatlined. So I was pretty sure he was the killer because of that, especially since he was my prime suspect anyway.

Did they really expect new viewers to tune in for this episode? There's really no other explanation for Keith to spend five minutes laying out the entire case for us. I mean, it did help put everything in proper order, but it still felt weird.

I did like that this mystery was so fucking full of clues and alibis and evidence and all that good stuff. It was fun to watch it point every which way. Mindy's setting Batando up! Mindy's setting Landry up! Landry's setting Mindy up! Mindy and Landry are working together! WHO KNOWS ANYMORE?!

I also liked that we finally got the begrudging crimefighting duo of Veronica and Tim, with Tim playing the bumbling fool ("Do we look like we smoke?" "Yes."). Of course, that's the part that sort of makes his murder/frame job a little hard to swallow since it's difficult to tell how much was an act. And I don't think much was, given what we saw of him in the previous episodes. He clearly was a little inept, and Landry knew it. Then again...I'm getting ahead of myself.

Sacks! Kristen told us that line about the jelly donuts; she seemed to get a kick out of it.

Mindy was such a great femme fatale. And with red hair! And those sunglasses! You don't put on sunglasses inside unless you're totally sketchy! Which...she wasn't, I suppose, in the end, right? I think she must have just been unwilling to believe Hank killed Cyrus until the clothes came out, so she was covering for him. Obviously, she and Hank looked hella suspicious, especially with the midnight visit. And I loved that we got flashbacks! With new Dean O'Dell craziness! In VM-flashback style!

The hunt for the bug CD was amusing. "Does he have A Bug's Life?" Haaa. "No, but he does have Taps." You guys. Seriously. Also, notice how linear-thinking Tim is all, "Hey, he has DVDs. Lookit!" That's not linear thinking, cheater! DVDs aren't the same as CDs! They just look the same! That's thinking outside the box! Or inside the box, if the box is a DVD case!

When we heard Landry's sort of ass-y non-recommendation of Tim, I immediately thought of my theory that Tim did it to prove himself to Landry, and that totally fit...except for the fact that he was just hearing it now. See, now I'm the one who's doing the linear thinking.

Does Keith not even bat an eye at the fact that Veronica clearly broke into Batando's house to get that CD? I mean, make jokes about running red lights all you want, but...there are laws to be upheld, here. Except in Neptune, where the laws are only as law-y as you want them to be.

It's definitely cool to look back at the episode and see that the entire time, Tim is obviously leading Veronica to all the evidence he wants her to see. He finds the CD. He finds the phone.

Mindy was hot, and NOW SHE'S DEAD. THANKS A LOT, ROB. WHY DO YOU HATE ME? (Or why do you hate women? And redheads? Because that's clearly the message you're sending here. And adulteresses! And Dean's wives! Do you have something against Dean's wives? The Irish?! Wait, wait, Mindy O'Dell probably considered herself a feminist. I'll betcha.)

I know my icon says that Veronica Mars is smarter than me, but, really, couldn't she have just Googled "Papa's Cabin"? Just for fun? I know she didn't hear the capital letters, but you've got to consider all possibilities.

Once Hank was in jail and the story focused on Tim again, it became pretty clear that Tim was in fact the murderer, and it was cinched when he made the dry cleaning joke, which was supposed to remind us that he had access to Landry's clothes. I really did like the parlor room scene in the classroom, however. It was cool to see Tim try to talk his way out of and around the murder until he finally made the classic slip-up of knowing something he shouldn't have known. I loved the way Veronica found the bug in her phone and just sort of gazed in horror, and I liked the way she confronted Tim about it. It was a good scene.

So, if I have things right, Tim decided to kill Dean O'Dell, like, as soon as he heard Landry diss him. This was the night of the Pi Sig party, and he was already in sort of a bad mood with the Bonnie Capistrano shit. He was inspired by Veronica's paper, and he came in late and killed the dean. Wearing creepy gloves, he typed the suicide note, knowing that would get Veronica interested and after Landry, whose clothes he planted in the furnace. Meanwhile, of course, Hank thinks Mindy killed the dean, and he switches out the dean's keyboard with one that has Batando's fingerprints all over it. This really is like the Lilly Kane case: one party covers up for an innocent, although the original keyboard wouldn't have been much of a clue anyway. Hank just clouded things up.

Oh, shit, dude. This whole time, I was hung up on the fact that Tim Foyle is not good enough to pull off this frame job. And he's not.

BUT VERONICA IS.

He didn't have to do any thinking because Veronica did all his thinking for him. I know the show won't go in a "Veronica feels weirdly guilty about basically being responsible for the dean's murder" direction, but it's interesting to consider.

So can anyone think of the red herring that's left red? Rob said that in compressing three episodes of mystery into two, one loose end didn't get tied up, but I can't figure out what it is because everything seemed to dovetail pretty nicely in the end.

All in all, it was a good episode, but not exceptional. Pretty low-key for the resolution to a six-episode mystery arc. But still fun.
Current Mood: mellowmellow
Current Music: Shiny Toy Guns - Le Disko

(47 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:expatiates
Date:February 28th, 2007 07:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
why are people voting for communism?! don't they know it's just a red herring?
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:February 28th, 2007 03:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That's what YOU say. *squints at you*

Do you work for J. Edgar Hoover?
[User Picture]
From:sterope
Date:February 28th, 2007 07:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's always Miss Scarlet! Every time I play! (And I'm always Miss Scarlet!) Another poll answer could have been "They all did it!" Man, I love Clue.
[User Picture]
From:wyo_lynn
Date:February 28th, 2007 08:11 am (UTC)
(Link)
Did they really expect new viewers to tune in for this episode? There's really no other explanation for Keith to spend five minutes laying out the entire case for us. I mean, it did help put everything in proper order, but it still felt weird.

I think Keith laying everything out isn't just for newbies. Like you said, it put things in order, unfortunately expository recaps always kill the dialogue flow.

It was a solid episode, I just wanted something with more oomph to head into a long hiatus.

Then again after last night's episode of Heroes everything on tv seems low-key this week.


[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 28th, 2007 08:14 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I predicted that it would be the best thing on television this week, and it may very well hold that title for a damn month.
[User Picture]
From:par_avion
Date:February 28th, 2007 08:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I felt that the son (stepson??) was supposed to be a bigger suspect, with the previous car=borrowing and the fact that the Dean was thinking of sending him to military school. I don't think anyone in-universe ever came out and suspected him.
[User Picture]
From:duchessdogberry
Date:February 28th, 2007 08:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
You don't put on sunglasses inside unless you're totally sketchy!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I loveloveloved the parlor room-esque showdown. I was waiting on the edge of my seat to figure out where Tim was going to slip up.

And, like you said, it was nice to have a mystery end without Veronica in danger. As soon as she started questioning Tim, my main thought was "Oh, thank god, she's in a crowded room in broad daylight and surrounded by semi-intelligent people. He can't attack her or run."
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 28th, 2007 08:29 am (UTC)
(Link)
I loveloveloved the parlor room-esque showdown. I was waiting on the edge of my seat to figure out where Tim was going to slip up.
Oh, seriously! I mean, at that point, I knew it was Tim, and, like you, I was just waiting to see how he would slip up.
[User Picture]
From:hillridgerpx
Date:February 28th, 2007 09:01 am (UTC)

Current

(Link)
I did like that this mystery was so fucking full of clues and alibis and evidence and all that good stuff. It was fun to watch it point every which way. Mindy's setting Batando up! Mindy's setting Landry up! Landry's setting Mindy up! Mindy and Landry are working together! WHO KNOWS ANYMORE?!

Really! I was so hoping that we wouldn't be shown that it was indeed Foyle who was behind the murder of the dean,and all because he was losing out to a smarter student [Veronica]!

I'm kinda confused about something as well. When exactly did Mr. Foyle bug the professors phone? And,why did he forget one simple little thing?

"Hey this Veronica Mars is so super smart,I'll see if I can throw her off by pretending I'm not as capable as her,or my smarmy boss,while in fact I am behind a murder! Even better,I'll open up a discussion at the behest of a student,about the identity of the killer!" Seriously..did he learn nothing about the skills of Veronica? Did he think she wouldn't figure out what was right in FRONT OF HER?!? Not to nitpick or anything,but after she,Veronica was so smart,she beat out the time to solve the first day of class "game",set by Foyle..he seemed a little sneaky,and waiting for a chance to put Veronica in her place. He did try once,and it failed..so I guess the continued cover up after he killed the dean,was his last chance to regain his 'lost honor?'
[User Picture]
From:the_partyman
Date:February 28th, 2007 09:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
Good ep, and I loved how the *reveal* scene worked so well, even after it became fairly obvious to the keen viewer that it kinda had to be Tim.

One thing that reallly bugged me though, was that Muhney's name was still in the credits. Yeah I was bummed that they killed off Lamb, but what is done is done.. however it just looked a bit sloppy that his name was up there this week. I know it's probably some contractual thing (like how we don;t excatly see Mac and Piz etc in every episode) but still... grrrr.
[User Picture]
From:cindywrites
Date:February 28th, 2007 04:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It might be a budget thing, too. Putting together new credits, this late in the year, is probably not worth the money to them. Did the credits change last year, after Teddy Dunn was written off?
From:wee_warrior
Date:February 28th, 2007 09:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
"Do you have something against [...]The Irish?!"

So Mindy is a Fitzpatrick! That explains it all!
[User Picture]
From:sabra_n
Date:February 28th, 2007 09:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
Loose ends, loose ends...um...no clue. Sorry. Batando's charges, maybe? Lamb's funeral arrangements?

This was...nice and twisty. Like an Agatha Christie mystery, complete with Poirot Veronica making her logic clear in a parlor-room scene at the end. And since we won't- no, can't- have another Lilly Kane mystery, with its deep emotional resonance for virtually every character in the show, Agatha Christie isn't a bad direction in which to turn.

-blue
[User Picture]
From:cindywrites
Date:February 28th, 2007 11:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
So can anyone think of the red herring that's left red? Rob said that in compressing three episodes of mystery into two, one loose end didn't get tied up, but I can't figure out what it is because everything seemed to dovetail pretty nicely in the end.
The Volvo vs. the minivan, which I never really did get, in the first place.

I know my icon says that Veronica Mars is smarter than me, but, really, couldn't she have just Googled "Papa's Cabin"? Just for fun? I know she didn't hear the capital letters, but you've got to consider all possibilities.
Yeah. I kept waiting for her to look it up on Planet Zowie, for the heck of it.
[User Picture]
From:loopychew
Date:February 28th, 2007 10:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Volvo vs. minivan gets solved because Mindy and the Dean were both at his office when it was being egged. Therefore, Nish saw Mindy's Volvo parked, thought it was the Dean's, and egged it.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:February 28th, 2007 12:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, I'm glad you liked it. I waited to read your post till I had posted because I knew we would be on opposite sides of the fence on this one. And honestly, I wanted to like it. It just seemed so . . . . I couldn't find the emotion to care about the resolution I guess. Maybe if the character of Tim had been more charismatic so that I cared about him. Maybe if we had those two extra episodes it wouldn't have seemed so formulaic. I don't know.

But I'm glad you were happy.
[User Picture]
From:lynevere
Date:February 28th, 2007 12:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So can anyone think of the red herring that's left red?

Yeah, I was happy that nothing jumped out at me either.

In retrospect, it's a little weird for Tim to make the murder appear to be a suicide if the entire motive is to SET LANDRY UP. I'd think after 6 weeks of no one doing anything, he would have been the one to initiate the investigation, not Mindy.

The episode was a little less climactic than it could have been, simply because I thought Tim was the only character who was suspicious but not insanely so (Mindy, Landry). Especially with the use of VM's murder paper, the list of suspects was really small.

Still, solid episode. The flashbacks and plot twists were great.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 28th, 2007 04:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Are you saying that Veronica's first day of class intellectual beat down of Tim is what led to his motive for framing Hank?
No, I'm saying that Tim wouldn't have been able to kill the Dean if it weren't for Veronica's paper.
[User Picture]
From:roniabirk
Date:February 28th, 2007 01:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My only comment because I didn't watch, but I see Taps up there? "I can't escape Tom Cruise." *L*
(Deleted comment)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com