Log in

No account? Create an account
My Name Is Carson Drew, and This Is My Assistant, Nancy - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

February 7th, 2007

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:30 am - My Name Is Carson Drew, and This Is My Assistant, Nancy
Okay, you guys are amazing. I've raised over a thousand dollars already! I need to adjust my goal; I can totally raise way more than $1,800 in exchange for my burning calves. What do you think? $3,000? $4,000? It's doable! Also, if you happen to have donated $150 the day I posted about the contest, you are currently in the lead. Since Rob doesn't count. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much.

Before I get to VM, I have to say that this episode of Gilmore Girls was the best episode in a looooong time. It had the mix of hilarity and pathos that makes this show so great. It was just...really good.

Veronica Mars was also really good, surprisingly enough. The awful promo did not have me looking forward to the episode, but it was very good. I think it was by The Twins, too. Good job, Twins! (On further inspection, they got story credit, but the teleplay was by Jon Moskin and Jill Klembom. Good job, guys!)

People keep complaining about the show, but every time I actually watch a new episode, I'm so impressed with it and happy it exists. One thing I love so very much about it is that tertiary characters always come back. The writers create a richly populated world, and they then continually draw from their own internal continuity, which makes the series feel like a series and not a collection of episodes. I will not be surprised if we see Nadia again.

I like the way the Madison angst was handled, the way we got to see Veronica totally obsess about it like anyone would, with quick-cut images and the total self-awareness that Sane Veronica and Crazy Veronica are duking it out. I was surprised that Logan said he had lied because most everyone had seized on his bedroom admission as a double entendre, when, in fact, it was just what it seemed to be. I was also surprised that Veronica was angry at Madison for drugging her...by giving her a drink drugged by Dick? It's weird to call attention to that when the writers are obviously ignoring that black mark in Dick's record. But that's our Veronica. She holds a grudge, no matter how petty. You never know when this show will bring up old shit! Hell, I didn't even make the connection that the reason Veronica was reminded of Mac's birthday was because of the whole Madison/Mac thing. Also, way to forget Mac's birthday, dude.

The MOTW was pretty interesting, and...okay, see, this episode has Jill Klembom's hands all over it, because it's really hard to compartmentalize my review since they twist all the fucking plots together. I knew that Bonnie's dad would end up being a good, decent guy because this show loves to thwart stereotypes, and unlike some shows that shall remain nameless, it doesn't get its kicks out of offending the religious right. The investigation was just fun to watch, and I liked the nod to the fact that Veronica escapes her own problems by solving other people's.

Veronica's doorside monologue about needing to meet her brother who it turned out wasn't even her brother was hilarious. (Oh, on an unrelated note: hellooooooo, Kristen's back!) Loved the way she got Tim's password and loved that Tim had turned into S1 Veronica with the files on his computer. I knew that the guy in Mac's great scene at the Pi Sig party would be serving this function, so it was cool to finally see him offer up a Space Ghost clue to Veronica, who is hotter than Tim.

I never even thought about it, but I liked that Logan sleeping with Madison affected Dick as well. He has feelings! Perhaps a fraction of another dimension! What do you know.

Backup!! Long time no see. Is Mindy hitting on Keith? I don't trust her. Even though she's hot. I'm not entirely certain what the hell Steve Batando was doing back, but it led to a clue, so we're all good. There's egg on that Volvo! Wait, I'm so confused about which car was supposed to be there and which Nish said she egged and...er. But it was a clue! I know that much!

The second best line of the night went to Weevil: "If I need any literature compared, I'll know who to ask." And he demanded $500! Ha!

The Keith/Veronica scenes were much better than last week. Hell, even the one jokey joke scene wasn't too much, as A) it was only Keith and B) Veronica even made fun of it. It was nice to see them working together, and, of course, we got the line of the night, which made me sputter laughing. You've got to wonder how long they've been waiting to make that joke.

The ending was a bit weak. Phyllis seriously left that bookmark in a pregnancy book? Is she mental? And the "Veronica learns a lesson from the mystery she has solved" was a little too on-the-nose, although I did like the way they overlaid Capistrano's monologue over the car-crushing scene.

All in all, I liked it a lot better than last week's.

ellric, who had never seen an episode of the show before, said, "I could get into that." danea said they might have to work around their House conflict, but ellric replied that, er, there wasn't much of a conflict. Because he found VM way more interesting. And that is how I hooked two more people.

See? The show's still got it.
Current Mood: crushedcrushed
Current Music: Her Space Holiday - Tech Romance

(82 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")


[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 04:19 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I haven't watched VM yet but I made the mistake of going into the TWoP thread after I got home lastnight (because I have no will power!!) and it got me really depressed. But I know you're a reasonable person when it comes to this show, so I was SUPER relieved to read this:

People keep complaining about the show, but every time I actually watch a new episode, I'm so impressed with it and happy it exists.

I mean, I've had some problems with various things this season - like any picky TV viewer would - but they haven't overwhelmed my enjoyment of the show so far. So I'm glad to read you found this episode primarily enjoyable. Yay! I'll get to watch VM tonight once iTunes slaps it up.

I will admit I saw a stage production of "12 Angry Men" last night that was so good, I briefly became enraged at "One Angry Veronica" again, but I got over it pretty fast. Hee.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 04:27 pm (UTC)
Being enraged at OAV is a hobby of ours.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 05:08 pm (UTC)
Who are you talking about when you say ours? You and who ours?
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 05:40 pm (UTC)
The fandom in general!

Find me one person who loves OAV. ONE. NOT EVEN ROB LIKES IT, DUDE.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 05:53 pm (UTC)
I didn't know it was a wide spread feeling! And I TOTALLY didn't know RT dislikes that episode too. Hmm. I don't read his interviews because... *flails* ...well, why did he put it on the air then?! I'm getting angsty. He confuzzles me. *flails somemore*


Eh. I'm over it already. Heh. RT will probably always be a mystery to me.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 06:01 pm (UTC)
They had a day less to write the script and a day less to shoot it. As for why he put it on the air, these things happen. Everything can't be awesomely perfect. There are so many variables in television that any number of things can go wrong.

He said in Austin that the morning after OAV, he stayed out of the TWoP thread because he knew it would be vicious.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 07:10 pm (UTC)
Why did he put it on the air? Because he was contractually obligated to do so and he could have been fired if he hadn't produced an episode by the network deadline. (See Sorkin, Aaron, who was fired from TWW after repeatedly turning in late scripts to NBC.)

TV producers put out a lot of episodes they aren't crazy about. They are working under ridiculous time pressures and it happens. You do the best you can to learn, and move on.
[User Picture]
Date:February 7th, 2007 08:20 pm (UTC)
Oh, I know all that, I was being facetious. Heh. But since you and P-C both answered me so seriously, I'll just say-

No one needs to defend Rob Thomas to me. I don't really care why or how a story gets on my TV. If I like the episode, great. If I don't, bummer. I try not to let that affect my overall feeling for this show because I still love it. That's good enough for me.


> Go to Top