?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Zuko Potter and the Goblet of Avatar - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

December 8th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:23 am - Zuko Potter and the Goblet of Avatar
So have you missed my TV posts? Don't lie, I know you have! People have been clamoring for my thoughts on TV all week! It's flattering. But as you now know, I was very busy and tuckered out, and while I do actually feel a strong obligation to make my episode posts in a timely manner, sometimes real life intervenes, and I don't get paid for this stuff anyway.

The following post is written while listening to my new iPod Shuffle, whose name is Pipsqueak. Our CEO gave everyone in the office an iPod Shuffle. This place rules.

Avatar

To be honest, I was expecting a little more awesome from the finale. "Siege of the North" was epic in pretty much every sense of the word, and I think this finale actually suffered from Nick's stupid scheduling. "The Guru," on its own, is solely a setup episode, and it is at times interminably slow. As a single episode, it's fine, and it would whet our appetites for the final episode of the season. But by packaging the finale as a one-hour extravaganza, you frontload the "finale" with way too much boring setup. Wouldn't it have been better to get into Finale Mood JUST for "Crossroads of Destiny," which is where all the awesome shit happens?

Okay, well at least one piece of awesome shit happens in "The Guru": TOPH IS A METALBENDER OMG!!! SHE IS THE GREATEST EARTHBENDER IN THE WOOOOOORLD. I do agree that she may have become a WEE bit too powerful, but I hope that her metalbending is kept in check, or else there's no reason for her not to, you know, singlehandedly take down all the Fire Nation War Machines. Still, Toph is awesome, and anyone who thinks different is WRONG. I mean, the girl figured out how to bend metal. Because, like Guru Pathik said, it's just a form of earth, after all. And no one else is as One with the Earth as she is because she's like the Daredevil of the Avaverse.

And speaking of Toph, let's talk about Sokka. Whose storyline is another reason "The Guru" is sort of lame: Sokka meets his dad, and...his dad is happy and Sokka is happy and everyone is happy? O...kay. I mean, good for Sokka, but it's not the most compelling thing ever. It was nice, I guess.

So the whole chakra thing was both good and bad. I really liked the philosophy of it all (like upanashad said, how cool is it that they're using so much Eastern philosophy in a kid's show?), and I of course loved the use of flashbacks (great callback to "The Deserter," I love that Aang still feels guilty about that, poor kid) to show all of Aang's emotional trauma. But the bad is that last word: TRAUMA. That Aang gets over in, like, three seconds. Yes, I know we have to move the plot along quickly, but it's still a little hard to swallow. I mean, opening chakras is supposed to be hard. This should be a BIG DEAL. Maybe it's a good thing the Avatar is a twelve-year-old, though, four years younger than usual. His emotions are less complex and easier to subdue, maybe.

Really, though, the entire chakra thing is redeemed by the writers' totally awesome self-awareness as ranted by Aang: "How can it be bad to love Katara? Three chakras ago, that was a good thing!" SO. HILARIOUS. Sometimes I forget I love Aang, and then he says something like that and I remember.

Oh oh oh: ZUKO. WELL-ADJUSTED ZUKO. NEVER AGAIN, MIKE AND BRYAN. PLEASE. Soooooooo weird and creepy.

The best plotline in the episode (which, geez, this show is juggling a lot of plotlines, huh?) was DANGEROUS KYOSHIS IN BA SING SE. Ty Lee makes fun of Mai's emo makeup: priceless! Ty Lee randomly proclaims her admiration of Azula's confidence: er, bizarre! Mai looks cute in Kyoshi makeup, though.

Azula is fast becoming one of my favorite villains of all time. I love that she manipulates Long Feng into thinking he came up with her plan. I was all ready to call foul on Ty Lee and Mai's RIDICULOUS CONVERSATION out on the steps, so I was really glad that it turned out to be staged for the wall-crawling Dai Li. And it was brilliantly done because first we think, "Man, how dumb are the Dai Li for buying it?" And then we think, "Um...we did." Because it totally works for Mai and Ty Lee to possibly be doing that. Azula would not be talking like that out in the open, ever.

And then Azula arranges a family reunion, and we head into the real finale, where so much shit goes down, it may well literally be insane.

(Holy crap, I just found out the Earth King is Phil LaMarr!)

So how long do you think the writers have been saving Iroh's "Dragon of the West" demonstration? Because you KNOW they knew he could breathe fire all along. Remember, in "Siege of the North," he told Zuko that firebending is all about the breathing, and that the "fire breath" move he taught him could save his life. This is why this show rocks, you guys. You can go back and be amazed at the foresight.

I'm not even going to discuss the Zuko/Katara scene because it's part of crazy 'shipper land, and I'm just REALLY GLAD Katara didn't waste her magic healing water on Zuko's scar (people have asked why she never thought to use it on Jet, and...I don't know! Because she still didn't like Jet. Or something). The scene still worked, though, and I did think it did end up being an interesting confrontation, especially Katara's admission that Zuko was basically "the face of the Fire Nation" to her, the face of the enemy that killed her mother.

I love Toph. This is no surprise. But I loved that she recognized Iroh from their bonding experience in "The Chase." I was actually a little surprised, though, by Aang and Sokka's reaction. Because, well, I suppose they know Iroh is Fire Nation and Zuko's uncle, but they've never had anything to fear from him, specifically. He stood up for them and against Zhao at the North Pole. He stood with them against Azula. It didn't seem right, and the "Er, help me find the guy who's trying to kill you" is conflict enough already.

Remember what I said about Azula being an awesome villain? Even the Dai Li recognize it: she's "terrifying...and inspiring." Somehow, she's able to win over the Dai Li, whose loyalty was previously to Long Feng, not the Earth Kingdom. It is a little odd that they would follow someone from the Fire Nation, but that just goes to show how convincing Azula is. Long Feng bows to her because he knows it's over, that she's beaten him at his own game. And then Azula smacks him down good: "Don't flatter yourself. You were never even a player." IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE IT'S TRUE. It was her game all along; that was the whole point.

Okay, the last ten minutes or so is when everything goes to hell. Because suddenly all the characters are in the same room together and that can ONLY END IN PAIN AND BADNESS.

How awesome was the recreation of the Blue Dragon/Red Dragon fever dream? Seriously, HOW AWESOME? I don't care that it was totally obvious because it was SO COOL and made SO MUCH SENSE and ZUKO IS SO CONFLICTED OMG. Seriously, you could meta about Zuko all day, the way Azula and Iroh represent his two paths in life, the way each of them is pushing him away by pulling too hard, the consequences of past and history as we know it in "Zuko Alone," where Zuko's mother fits into all this, and...he's just an amazing character. And he's changed so fucking much. Go watch some episodes in S1 if you don't believe me. You'll barely recognize that Zuko. And the thing is his character development has been both ridiculously subtle and incredibly drastic. There's been a LOT of work to get him to this point.

And then we have a CRAZY FOUR-WAY FIGHT with Zuko ATTACKING EVERYONE IN THE FUCKING ROOM AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER and Aang shooting air silhouettes and Katara using the Octopus and slicing Azula's hair and the entire Dai Li arriving to fuck things up and Zuko CHOOSING AZULA OVER IROH and Aang CHOOSING THE AVATAR STATE OVER KATARA and HOLY FUCKING CRAP OH MY MOTHERFUCKING GOD AZULA SHOT HIM IN THE AVATAR STATE AND I AM TEARING UP JUST WRITING ABOUT THIS. And Katara uses the healing water to save him but (Mai: "Just take the bear" ahahahaha) THEY LOST YOU GUYS.

Do you understand? Ba Sing Se just FELL. The Fire Nation just WON. And Zuko JOINED AZULA, WHO ALWAYS LIES.

See, everyone had convinced me, that Zuko would totally join Aang, and I had sort of resigned myself to it, even though it ALWAYS HAPPENS. The broken villain character eventually becomes a fully functioning member of the gang. And I thought, hey, at least maybe with Zuko, it could work; he's a good character, and his destiny is intertwined with the Avatar's, etc.

But WHY???

That major question, I could never answer. Because it was something I was just willing to accept when the writers gave their reason, but I couldn't think of really good, compelling reasons other than IT ALWAYS WORKS LIKE THAT.

And then...it didn't. They...did something horribly different. And...I don't know why Zuko would "lose fans," as has apparently been happening. Because it only makes Zuko all the more complicated and interesting, the best developed character in the whole bunch. He's got so much shit brewing around in his head, you never know what he'll do, but you know that when he does it, it'll make some sort of fucked-up sense, whether he realizes it or not.

The more discussion about Zuko's decision, the more and more it makes perfect sense. We all want Zuko to become Fire Lord. But he was labeled a traitor as it is; would the Fire Nation bow to a traitor on the throne? He first has to become part of the Fire Nation again. Like Azula against the Earth Kingdom, he has to take it down from the inside. birdsarecalling points out that the audience always thought Zuko would join the good side and reject Azula because Iroh thought he would, and Iroh is awesometacular and never wrong. But he is wrong. He can't even tell when flowers are poison. We side with Iroh, but Zuko sides with SENSE. Everything was set up so perfectly and we were all just blind to it.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened in that room. So between good and evil, he chose good. Between Azula and the Avatar, he chose the Avatar ("I must capture the Avatar and restore my honor."). And then Katara got in the way of that, so he attacked Katara, despite their bonding moment. Basically, in THAT ROOM, out of Azula, Katara, and Aang, the only person he could possibly ally himself with was his sister. She was the only one who would even accept him, unquestionably.

And then Iroh arrived, and he could have chosen him, except for the fact that Azula has the ENTIRE DAI LI at her disposal, and aligning himself with Iroh means facing the Dai Li, and...the kid is so traumatized from the choosing that he stops.

And he KNOWS he sucks, even though Azula tells him he's all right.

(Also, that was some high-quality firebending he was doing there. And I think it was because he had released some of that inner turmoil: if lightning comes from a place of calm, then Zuko has moved closer to that by making choices and becoming more confident in his own destiny. So it showed in his increased firebending skill.

And rage just seems to enhance bending, period.)

birdsarecalling points out that Zuko's decision totally mirrors Aang's decision to give up Katara for the sake of the Avatar state: it's rash and impulsive and he believes it's his only choice. And it brings the season full-circle: the premiere was entirely about the Avatar state. But what OF the Avatar state?! If anything, I think at the very least, Aang won't be able to enter the Avatar state, which sucks because PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER! even though it's unfairly tipped the scales in his favor too many times, in my opinion. The real, HORRIFYING question is whether Aang really just broke the Avatar cycle. Because I am very afraid that he did. Because they spelled out the consequences in the premiere, and they would not do that if they were not prepared to follow through on them. Is Avatar Roku's spirit gone forever? Because that would be VERY BAD, given that he would be the most powerful ally they have against the Fire Nation. Is Aang the last Avatar as well the last Airbender? CRIMINY.

Oh man. This show.

If you haven't already, you owe it to yourself to read these three excellent posts and, more importantly, the discussion in the comments. It's all so FANTASTIC.

Battlestar Galactica

After Avatar, BSG cannot compare, especially when it's this boring. So I heard this rumor that Lee and Kara sorta like each other? Did you know?

Mostly, my feelings about this episode can be summed up by the question "WHERE THE HELL DID THEY GET A BOXING RING?" This story was much better on Oz, when there was more cursing and people died.

I did like the sexual-tension-filled flashbacks with Adama and Roslin, and I guess it was interesting to learn some of the stuff that happened on New Caprica, but I just didn't care that much. And so I'm not going to waste any more time writing about it.

Heroes

Instead, I'll write about Heroes, which is always worth writing about, although I can't think of what to say anymore. I almost fell off the couch laughing at Hiro's assertion that "Save the cheerleader, save the world" was an if, then statement. And he knows, because he said it! Which writer is writing Hiro and Ando? Because they seem to get the best dialogue.

D.L. phased a bullet through his head, and that was cool. Niki/Jessica had a cool Gollum-esque conversation, and that was cool. Otherwise, though, that was boring, and I'm one of the few who LIKES her. Dudes? When you're more boring than MATT'S STORY, there are problems.

Matt's story had the benefit of Clea Duvall flirtage, though. And the awesome feedback loop when Peter absorbed his powers.

And Claire! Oh, I love Claire. "I've died before. It's no big deal." And oh my God, Mr. Bennet! I loved you, but you're fucking evil again! You brainwashed her best friend. That was so sad. Oh, Zach. And poor Claire does not even suspect that her dad would DO such a thing! Even though he very creepily asked who else knew about her powers. But why would her dad do that to her, right? And then...the Haitian can speak! And he has his own agenda! INTRIGUE. And...holy shit, Claire's mom has been brainwashed. Repeatedly.

I'm liking sober Isaac much more! He plays well off Hiro; I'm glad they finally met. And HOLY GOD HIRO VERSUS A DINOSAUR!! This show is pushing all my buttons. He really needs to find that sword.

Eden! Again, with her own agenda, just like I said! And I liked her, and now she's dead. I need to stop liking people. But she blew her brains out to keep Sylar from getting her power, which is awesome.

Also, Mohinder: how do you like it when people don't believe YOU, huh?

Finally, Peter has another prophetic vision-type thing and...holy shit, it's Peter who blows up New York. I...this is another example of a "surprise" that makes perfect sense but is surprising due to audience expectations. Pretty much everyone assumed one of two things: Radioactive Man would go nuclear, or Sylar would absorb his powers and go nuclear. The former is just sort of a meh idea, whereas the latter, I imagine, is one more people were inclined to believe because Sylar is the Bad Guy, right? So he would do Something Bad like blow up New York? But...why? Why would Sylar kill himself? That doesn't make sense, right? What does make sense, however, is that Peter absorbs Radioactive Man's powers and can't control them. Some people have speculated that Nathan is coming to fly Peter away so that he doesn't hurt anyone, but Peter doesn't have the scar! He needs the scar! Man, who knows what the hell is going on in that scene?

I love the NBC marketing department and their ability to take mundane phrases and turn them into cool catchphrases. We've gone from "Save the cheerleader, save the world" to "ARE YOU ON THE LIST?"

Studio 60

Did you hear that Aaron Sorkin Cares About Black People? And Katrina victims?

It was a good episode, though. The "To Catch a Predator" sketch was actually funny! Tom's delivery of "He had been visiting young girls for what he described as 'years'" was PERFECT.

And Cal broke a table. With a coconut. That they needed to make snow. Because apparently there is no other way to make fake snow. Whatever, coconuts are funny.

The whole Danny/Jordan thing was pretty cute. Well played. I continue to love Jordan. Also, I never expected to like Jack from the pilot, but he's come a long way. And, see, this FCC battle? That's an issue that's appropriate for a television network. I still think there's a little too much High Road being taken, but at least it makes more sense than religion or war or racism or Communism or whatever else the Issues of the Week have been.

So, yes, good episode. Whee for good television.
Current Mood: pleasedpleased
Current Music: Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch

(81 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:debetesse
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
On the list thing, with that tag, they need to have someone interesting be on the list.

On S60, the coconut thing irked (as a prop person. Seriously, a simple scene about how all the snow machines are rented out. It could have been funny, and would have made me buy it...more). And the FCC thing would have irked less had there not been the NOLA thing, too.

I was ranking the couples on Sorkin shows by irritatingness, and Jordan/Dany came in near the bottom (down with Jeremy/Natalie and Jed/Abbey).
[User Picture]
From:miniglik
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Blah. You didn't like Unfinished Business so I have nothing to say to you... :-p

(*Won't see this week's Heroes until this evening, so nothing to say about it yet.*)

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I like Ron's wife! Maybe. I mean, I hear she likes Socrates, so that's pretty cool.
[User Picture]
From:raelee
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The following post is written while listening to my new iPod Shuffle, whose name is Pipsqueak

That is the BEST. iPOD NAME. EVER.

That they needed to make snow. Because apparently there is no other way to make fake snow. Whatever, coconuts are funny.

Eh. I thought this too. I tried to make myself believe that the coconuts were simply the cheapest way to make snow but I don't know if I even believe that. Yet again, these are people who are in TV writing about TV so maybe coconuts really are the secret backup for making snow and the idea is just a bit out there so we just can't believe it? Whatever. *waves hands furiously*

As for the rest, I concur.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That is the BEST. iPOD NAME. EVER.
Hee. It's Avatar-inspired.
[User Picture]
From:gymble
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I wrote a comment, but LJ ate it. Stupid LJ.

I'll summarize: Agree, agree, agree, coconuts? WTF, show.

The end.

That might have been funnier if you'd read the original comment, but I'm too lazy to re-type it.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 07:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dammit! I want your funny comment back! Cough it up, LJ!
[User Picture]
From:schnappycat
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't watch any of these shows, so I'll just wave hi to Pipsqueak.
[User Picture]
From:shamoogity
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I find it interesting that I almost always agree with your Veronica Mars opinions and almost always disagree with your Battlestar Galactica opinions.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. That is interesting. Maybe it's in what we watch the shows for? I'm more into BSG for the spaceships and killer robots, for the most part.
[User Picture]
From:missquita
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So yes, you had bigger fish to fry. And I'm so glad you a good time.

But Heroes! I didn't get the Eden Hurt Her Brain On Purpose thing until talking to a friend later. GENIUS.

Niki was boring at first, but her story and character/s are becoming more interesting. Subtle but interesting. Matt on the other hand -- eh. I want to slap him. And his wife. Still, him with Peter was neat. But I was irritated that he didn't wonder if Peter was also a mind-reader or at least a person with powers. What could have been a cautious bonding moment was hollow.

Claire, love. Mr. Bennet, confusing. Haitian, whoa! Good line: "You're totally my hero."

I wanna be on the list! But with this new tagline comes the loss of the Skittles Announcer Voice Guy. Save the cheerleader, save the world!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ha, oh yeah, the Skittles girl! Maybe she'll come back. "Taste the list."
[User Picture]
From:missquita
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
P.S. Maybe I'm a bad person, but I only read the Heroes part of these entries. :) Then I read the comments. Then I hear about Pipsqueak -- so cute!
[User Picture]
From:latropita
Date:December 8th, 2006 08:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"The Guru," on its own, is solely a setup episode, and it is at times interminably slow.
I felt pretty much the same about Siege of the North part 1. Except it didn't feel as slow.
I do agree that she may have become a WEE bit too powerful, but I hope that her metalbending is kept in check
It's my assumption that doing something that hardcore would be incredibly draining, and it seems like it requires an incredible amount of focus, so I don't think it would be possible during an actual battle.
And speaking of Toph, let's talk about Sokka.
Toph holding Sokka's arm was like, the cutest thing EVER.
I was actually a little surprised, though, by Aang and Sokka's reaction.
I wasn't surprised by Sokka, because he's very Xander sometimes, but Aang didn't even pause in "Siege of the North part 2," so this came as a bit of a shock. Maybe because in SotNP2 it was much more obvious, where here he's actually asking them to help the guy who's such a consistent problem for them.
And he KNOWS he sucks, even though Azula tells him he's all right.
Or...BECAUSE!
Zuko ATTACKING EVERYONE IN THE FUCKING ROOM AT SOME POINT OR ANOTHER
I feel that this pretty much represents Zuko as a character. "I'm mad at the Avatar!...and that stupid girl from the cave!...and my stupid sister...and the stupid Avatar, again!..."

Other fight highlights: Katara kicking the shit out of Azula before Zuko's intercession, holy shit. I also love that Zuko copied Katara's octopus move, just like Iroh taught him to do.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I felt pretty much the same about Siege of the North part 1. Except it didn't feel as slow.
Yeah, and it was also, you know, clearly a Part 1. Plus, it was the culmination of the ENTIRE SEASON, you know? The goal the whole season was to get to the North Pole, so just being there is inherently interesting. The Guru stuff only popped up late. Everything in SOTN, Part 1, has the entire season behind it. Aang has to get his waterbending teacher, Zhao and Zuko are going to face off again, etc. Much of the stuff in "The Guru" was set up near the end.

It's my assumption that doing something that hardcore would be incredibly draining, and it seems like it requires an incredible amount of focus, so I don't think it would be possible during an actual battle.
I agree.

I feel that this pretty much represents Zuko as a character. "I'm mad at the Avatar!...and that stupid girl from the cave!...and my stupid sister...and the stupid Avatar, again!..."
Ha ha ha ha. Oh, Zuko.

I also love that Zuko copied Katara's octopus move, just like Iroh taught him to do.
Oh, nice catch! I didn't notice that exactly. You mean his little fire arms?
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You should. I look at this post and I think it should be pretty telling that I have the most to say about a cartoon from a week ago.
[User Picture]
From:tamarai
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh man, I fracking loved that BSG ep. Ah well, I can see how it wasn't for everyone.

Loved your post about Melanie's visit. I want the tour! Sans towing, preferably!

BTW, saw Tenacious D at the Masonic last weekend. They rocked our socks off!
[User Picture]
From:squaringkarma
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
*ignores BSG and S60 parts because she doesn't watch*
*ignores Avatar and Heroes parts because she doesn't want to get spoiled*

Dude! The iPod shuffle is amazing! You have an awesome CEO!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I really do! He's so cool!
[User Picture]
From:wimbledonchampv
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I thought it was cool that Toph could bend metal, I just hope they don't go crazy overboard with it because then she would be too powerful for it to still make sense but it was still pretty awesome.

"How can it be bad to love Katara? Three chakras ago, that was a good thing!" SO. HILARIOUS. Sometimes I forget I love Aang, and then he says something like that and I remember.
That was pretty much my exact thought when Aang said that. I always think about the other characters that I love so much and I forget that Aang was the first character that I really liked.

Oh oh oh: ZUKO. WELL-ADJUSTED ZUKO. NEVER AGAIN, MIKE AND BRYAN. PLEASE.
WORD!! SO CREEPY! I JUST WANTED IT TO STOP!!!

I think the finale episodes made me love Zuko even more. Besides the creepy, everything he did made sense. When it started, I thought Zuko was going to join with the gang but then about half way through I realized that that wasn't Zuko. Not even creepy new Zuko. He wanted nothing more than to go back to the Fire Nation. In the end, what he did made sense because he always makes sense in-character with the big decision he makes.

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
wimbledorable!! Hey!

I thought it was cool that Toph could bend metal, I just hope they don't go crazy overboard with it because then she would be too powerful for it to still make sense but it was still pretty awesome.
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear, though, that it's really hard to do and takes a lot of focus, so it's not like she could crush drills as easily as she can create mountains.

That was pretty much my exact thought when Aang said that. I always think about the other characters that I love so much and I forget that Aang was the first character that I really liked.
Yeah, I mean, he's the main character, but so often stuff happens to him because this journey is sort of thrust upon him, and so he doesn't always shine as a character even though he's the frickin' Avatar.

I think the finale episodes made me love Zuko even more.
Abso-fucking-lutely. I found it hard to say that I loved Zuko before because he was just so hilariously humorless, but now I can't deny what a fantastic character he is, and that transcends being a total dweeb with a secret ninja alter ego.

He wanted nothing more than to go back to the Fire Nation. In the end, what he did made sense because he always makes sense in-character with the big decision he makes.
Yep. He's always wanted to go back home. He's always wanted to regain his honor on the throne. In the goddamn premiere, he took Azula's offer, too. Yet another way they brought it full circle.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:December 8th, 2006 09:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm pretty tired so I'll just say: I'm scared for Iroh. I don't like Zuko and never really did. Toph rocks! And oh God, I hope the Avatar cycle isn't broken. Maybe it'll be like on Buffy sort of with the dying but being brought back in that maybe there'll be some sort of weird hitch in the cycle that'll end up helping Aang later? I don't know. Ack!

Well, Ok, I do have more to say-

And...I don't know why Zuko would "lose fans," as has apparently been happening. Because it only makes Zuko all the more complicated and interesting, the best developed character in the whole bunch. He's got so much shit brewing around in his head, you never know what he'll do, but you know that when he does it, it'll make some sort of fucked-up sense, whether he realizes it or not.

I didn't really care for Zuko to begin with and actually thought he was on the dull side. "Zuko Alone" is actually my least favorite episode. Yes, really. I just didn't find his angst about getting his honor back from his evil father that compelling simply because I'm not going to root for evil so why should I care if his daddy doesn't love him and doesn't honor him? Daddy is evil! Of course he isn't going to love and honor him. Sheesh.

But when Zuko turned on Iroh, who does love and honor him, I was pissed. Then when he turned on Katara after she nearly helped him even though he knew the hurt she holds onto because of her mother's murder, I decided I hate Zuko... but I'm fine with that because he IS an interesting character to me now. I enjoy hating him right now. He does add such an interesting depth to the show and I feel like, he'll end up choosing good in the end. I think he's probably the key to ending the war once and for all.

Now that he's at his sister's side, and presumably going to return to the Fire Nation, I wonder if he'll have insider access to Fire Nation secrets that might prove vital in the war? I personally don't think he'll be welcomed back as a hero. After all, "Azula always lies..."

I was thinking it might be super cool if Zuko and Iroh weren't actually at odds, but planned what seemed like Zuko betraying Iroah in order to get back to the Fire Nation and maybe take it down from the inside somehow? Or maybe Zuko came up with this idea and hasn't actually told Iroh - so it may seem like he's turned on Iroh, and Iroh believes that to be the case, but really, Zuko is faking it for his sister's benefit?

Because otherwise, it would be a shame to seemingly waste that awesome scene of him dropping the blue spirit mask into the Lake and then going through evil withdrawal or whatever that was Iroh nursed him through. I feel like, Zuko can't ever really be pals with Aang, but he can go about doing good in his own way.

Oh, and nia says my icon actually says "home" which still works in a way.

BSG, I liked the part where Adama called Chief out and got to punch him a couple of really good times (I can't stand the Chief) but then also got to make an awesome, slow clap worthy speech. I actually thought maybe someone Would start the slow clap. Bummer. I don't care about Starbuck and Apollo though. *shrug*

Heroes ruled. I KNEW you'd like the dinosaur thing. Heh. But who wouldn't? It was AWESOME! I personally think Nathan is going to turn out to be evil, and that's why Peter blows up in his dream. We know Radioactive man's powers go awry when he's emotional. So did you notice that Peter didn't blow up Until he saw Nathan? And it looked like Nathan was coming out of his office, so it implies Peter was heading toward him on purpose. I think it means, in the future, Peter finds out something about his brother that makes him so angry, that he goes to find him. Radioactive man must be near by when he finally sees Nathan, and Peter's own anger at his brother, and the picking up of Radioactive Man's powers combine to result in KABLAAM! That's my theory. So in the meanwhile, we'll have to wait to see what it is that makes Nathan evil.

I've officially given up on S60.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 10:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, Maka! How could you say all these things?! I think the reason Zuko's arc is so interesting is because he is from the evil Fire Nation, but he's not eeeeevil. I think the writers are really successful (not in your case, obviously) at making the audience root for "evil" but feel really weird about it.

Daddy is evil! Of course he isn't going to love and honor him.
Well, he loves and honors Azula. Who is also evil.

I decided I hate Zuko... but I'm fine with that because he IS an interesting character to me now. I enjoy hating him right now. He does add such an interesting depth to the show and I feel like, he'll end up choosing good in the end. I think he's probably the key to ending the war once and for all.
I'll settle for that. You decided you hate Zuko, and I decided I love him!

I was thinking it might be super cool if Zuko and Iroh weren't actually at odds, but planned what seemed like Zuko betraying Iroah in order to get back to the Fire Nation and maybe take it down from the inside somehow? Or maybe Zuko came up with this idea and hasn't actually told Iroh - so it may seem like he's turned on Iroh, and Iroh believes that to be the case, but really, Zuko is faking it for his sister's benefit?
People have floated this theory around, but I doubt it. Mostly because there's no reason for it to be that elaborate, and inventing this "plan" is a way of rationalizing Zuko's decision, which doesn't need rationalizing. What he did made perfect sense in the moment. And it's abundantly clear that he is conflicted as hell about it. I don't think he's betrayed Iroh forever, and I imagine he will probably try to free him somehow. I personally think people are being too hard on the guy. He did an awful thing, no question, but he hasn't gone to the Dark Side or anything. Zuko's journey has been one of finding himself, of discovering who he is and which influences to absorb. It's far from over.

Because otherwise, it would be a shame to seemingly waste that awesome scene of him dropping the blue spirit mask into the Lake and then going through evil withdrawal or whatever that was Iroh nursed him through.
I don't think that was wasted; I think it was just another step of getting here. Zuko needed that kick in the pants. birdsarecalling (probably, because she's said everything good) said that in S1, Zuko did what his father wanted. In S2, he did what his uncle wanted. In S3, he can finally do what he wants. That's what letting go of the Blue Spirit and fever dreaming out his conflict was about. He needed to reach that peace within himself in order to allow himself to find his own true direction. Zuko has always wanted to go home. And he's now decided that his desires are his own, and he will follow them. birdsarecalling also pointed out that when Iroh yelled at Zuko to figure out what HE wants, what he really meant was for him to choose was HE (Iroh) wanted. Which was a nice, quiet life of tea. But as we saw from creepy, well-adjusted Zuko, that's not a life for Zuko.

BSG, I liked the part where Adama called Chief out and got to punch him a couple of really good times (I can't stand the Chief) but then also got to make an awesome, slow clap worthy speech.
I thought that speech came out of nowhere and was sort of inappropriate.

So did you notice that Peter didn't blow up Until he saw Nathan? And it looked like Nathan was coming out of his office, so it implies Peter was heading toward him on purpose. I think it means, in the future, Peter finds out something about his brother that makes him so angry, that he goes to find him.
Oh, nice theory! You wouldn't like him when he's angry!
[User Picture]
From:sistakaren
Date:December 8th, 2006 10:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And oh my God, Mr. Bennet! I loved you, but you're fucking evil again!
Awww.. no he's not! He was going to have Claire's memory erased, too. Then he could start over and everyone lives happily ever after! Yes, it's fucked up, but it's not more evil than anything else's he's done. It's pretty much all in the same vein. I have respect for that.

And Eden's agenda really wasn't much of an agenda, right? I mean, she just wanted Sylar dead. She thought that the higher-ups would agree with her. When they didn't, she did it on her own. Really not much of an agenda there, unless I'm missing something. I find it hi-fucking-larious that she really did bond with Papa Suresh. That's really funny for some reason. That means her non-acting in earlier episodes was supposed to be genuine. Hehehe.

Dude, I also don't understand why the radioactive man has to be involved at all. Because of the mushroom cloud? Maybe this has to do with Peter himself? Notice that a lot of heroes Peter hasn't met yet were there, yet Sprague was nowhere to be found. It may end up being the case, but it may be something about Peter specifically. Maybe he can't handle being around everyone and then he blows up? Heh. Then again, I'm still in denial about the Niki/DID thing which is DUMB AS SHIT.

I liked BSG this week. But I'm losing interest. The show feels like it's treading water somewhat. I thought the Lee/Kara story was gloriously fucked up and awesome. But how many more Adama speeches must we listen to? And I really am not loving the Cylons right now, so I'm glad to be away from them for a week.

Wait... I spent a bunch of paragraphs disagreeing with you, but I generally agree with your Heroes portion. Hehe.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 8th, 2006 10:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Awww.. no he's not! He was going to have Claire's memory erased, too. Then he could start over and everyone lives happily ever after!
Hee!

And Eden's agenda really wasn't much of an agenda, right? I mean, she just wanted Sylar dead. She thought that the higher-ups would agree with her. When they didn't, she did it on her own. Really not much of an agenda there, unless I'm missing something.
Okay, maybe not so much with the agenda. But I like the phrase "hidden agenda."

Dude, I also don't understand why the radioactive man has to be involved at all. Because of the mushroom cloud?
Well, Isaac also painted an exploding man.

Maybe he can't handle being around everyone and then he blows up?
Yeah, people have speculated that, too, that taking on too many powers at once overloads him.

I liked BSG this week. But I'm losing interest. The show feels like it's treading water somewhat.
Yeah, I see that. I don't even remember what tonight's episode is supposed to be about.

Wait... I spent a bunch of paragraphs disagreeing with you, but I generally agree with your Heroes portion.
Ha. Good.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com