?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Is It Déjà Vu If It Happens More Than Twice? - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

October 31st, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:35 pm - Is It Déjà Vu If It Happens More Than Twice?
It's a Tuesday special, guys! Three shows for the price of one!

Hoo boy, Heroes! I've begun to notice even more comic-book touches. Like, I just fucking realized today that the title cards I love so much? The way they're superimposed on the scene? TOTALLY LIKE A COMIC BOOK. And the little identifiers of the characters/locations? Again! I find the "let's reshow the same five seconds from the end again" a little confusing every time they do it, but I should start getting used to it, huh? And I love that Isaac's paintings seem to be forming comic-book panels.

Okay, so there is no one in the whole world who did not love that Hiro's reaction to "A version of you FROM THE FUTURE gave me a message, and he was carrying a sword" was..."I had a sword?!" Right?

As usual, I loved Claire's storyline. She totally pulled a Clark with the cupcakes in the oven, but it's really not as effective her way. And I wonder why Claire's dad finally "found" her bioparents this time; did he think that she was getting too curious at this age and might find her real bioparents on her own? (Because those guys were fake, right? I read that scene right? I wonder how much they were told.)

Eden is evil, as everyone suspected but I didn't want to believe, but of course she's evil, because Nora Zehetner is now typecast as the femme fatale, thanks to Brick, right? And I officially love Claire's dad now, for a response of "That's cool" to Hiro's power. Also, his reaction to "save the cheerleader." Because it seemed like a fucking surprise to him. And he was worried about his daughter. Save her from what? Or, another possibility being: "Crap, they know!" But I think he's more complicated than THE FACE OF EEEEVIL promos would have led us to believe.

And speaking of evil promos: THANKS A FUCKING LOT FOR SPOILING D.L.'S POWER. I WAS WAITING THE ENTIRE EPISODE FOR HIM TO DO IT BUT YOU HAD TO SPOIL SOMETHING BIG FIVE MINUTES FROM THE GODDAMN END? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? ALL I WANT YOU TO DO IS GET ME EXCITED FOR THE NEXT EPISODE. NOT RUIN ONE OF THE STORYLINES BY GIVING ME KNOWLEDGE I'M CLEARLY NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE. At least Niki/ikiN were good stuff; Ali Larter did a really nice job differentiating the two with both her mien and her voice. She can't be dead, though.

Also: wax lion! Hee!

I'm still not feeling Torchwood. Next week's episode looks good, but right now I'm only in because everyone else is, and I'm hoping for neat little Doctor Who thingies. I know I should give it time; Angel wasn't great from the start either.

Veronica Mars was good this week; I think the show is getting better as the season goes along, which isn't surprising. Veronica's following up on the clue from the previous episode! Fabulous! But more on that later.

Drawing attention to Lilly's necklace was ridiculously random and clunky. I appreciated the Lilly mention as much as anyone, but why exactly was she thinking of her a lot lately? Halloween? She expecting to see Lilly's ghost again? It would have worked just as well if Veronica had gotten her necklace stolen and then afterwards said something about Lilly's having given it to her, which made it important to get back. You lose, new writers!

But you win, casting director! The dean's wife was a hot redhead! Thank you! That whole plot was kind of weird, but it A) gave Keith something to do (Adrian Monk, heh), B) gave us some Cliff (When you're here, you're family!), and C) kept the dean in the picture. Plus, I suppose Richard Grieco needed the work. I thought it was quite funny to involve Cliff in a fake voiceover audition, given Daran Norris's prolific voiceover work. Even though I found Cliff a bit off somehow. Maybe a bit cartoony, as they like to say these days.

Wallace gets a storyline, and...it's about cheating? HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE GODDAMN MORAL CENTER. I totally expected him to walk right out as soon as he discovered that the "tutor" wasn't so much tuting. But then he bought the test, and I saw him struggling, and I expected to go ask for his money back because HE HAS ETHICS, but...then he bought the answers, and then he finished the test in record time, and then...I still have no idea what happened. It seemed to me like he'd gotten caught cheating, but other people interpret it as his having ratted out the "tutor." But the person who showed up at his door was the T.A. for the class, right? Giving him a note from the professor? And Johnny Cash is clearly singing about GETTING BUSTED, so, uh, that's what happened, right? What the fuck, Wallace. Also, since when did you want to be a mechanical engineer? I like when characters pull out lifelong dreams we've never heard of.

The MOTW was actually pretty good, and I liked that Veronica had actual clues and followed them. BUT OMFG STOP FUCKING ACCUSING EVERYONE WITH YOUR OPENING LINE. It is getting so old and irritating. Seriously, try some small talk, perhaps try to wean the confession out of them first? This is the first episode where I've seen some of the complaints about Veronica being bitchy and a walking punchline machine. It wasn't all the time, mind you. I'm totally defensive and found her behavior acceptable most of the time. But various moments were just, GAH. I mean, I did enjoy her theatrics following her failed "Break a leg" joke, and I think it's cute that Weevil acknowledges that, well, he is guilty quite a bit, but it could just be all the criticism rubbing off on me. Whatever. I still wanted Veronica to yank that necklace off that little girl's neck because, dammit, it was her necklace anyway, so shut up, little kid. Your dad's a thief, and stop putting gum on seats. All little kids aren't precious.

But I loved pizza guy's walk down S1 lane. And Veronica's response to them. Hee. Oh, continuity shout-outs. Oh, funny accents!

Lamb's robot dance was over the top and shot really funny (MOVE THE CAMERA TO THE RIGHT, NICK), but...ha!! Now I get it! Michael mentioned that in the CW interview thing! I found Lamb one-note through most of the episode, but I really liked his last scene, where he spoke to Veronica without the extreme assiness that he usually employs. It almost felt like a comment between colleagues: sometimes, the proper channels work, Veronica. It wasn't a put-down, just an observation.

And, finally, a mysterious cliffhanger! Which means Claire totally faked her rape, and she's also ridiculously stupid if she doesn't think anyone will find her boyfriend or whatever.

So, new writers, you wrote a pretty good MOTW; I'll give you that. But the fact that I had trouble thinking of a title for this post is not a good sign! That was a good line, yes, but...episodes need to have more than one good line! Better luck next time?
Current Mood: moodymoody
Current Music: Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floor

(52 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:cerulgalactus
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh man, I totally forget to say how much I love Mr Sinister for his reaction to Hiro. That was my co-favourite part of the ep, along with Hiro's reaction to his future self's sword.
[User Picture]
From:sinca
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
I like when characters pull out lifelong dreams we've never heard of.

Tell me about it! Mechanical engineer in the what now?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:29 am (UTC)
(Link)
I mean, I can understand Wallace having some sort of lifelong dream, but...mechanical engineer seems so fucking random. Well, I guess, really, anything would seem random since we don't really have any good sense of Wallace's career interests.
[User Picture]
From:holly96
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:28 am (UTC)
(Link)
This is the first episode where I've seen some of the complaints about Veronica being bitchy and a walking punchline machine.
See, this goes to show how subjective it is. I understood the complaints for the first couple episodes and agreed a little bit. Then I thought it was much better in eps 3 and 4 and didn't really understand the complaints, and tonight I liked Veronica the most I have the whole season (there were moments in previous episodes where I really liked/sympathized with her, but as a whole episode, I enjoyed her tonight muchly).

Good line? Hmm. How about "It's like Sodom and Gomorrah in here." Or "Call Cliff, and get off." Eh, that's all I've got right now. Maybe there isn't a line that stands out, but sometimes I feel like they go overboard on the quippiness, and everything felt really natural to me tonight. So I'm quite pleased with the new writers.

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
See, this goes to show how subjective it is. I understood the complaints for the first couple episodes and agreed a little bit. Then I thought it was much better in eps 3 and 4 and didn't really understand the complaints, and tonight I liked Veronica the most I have the whole season (there were moments in previous episodes where I really liked/sympathized with her, but as a whole episode, I enjoyed her tonight muchly).
Heh. Damn other people's opinions coloring my own! I don't know what's right and what's wrong anymore!
[User Picture]
From:snoopypez
Date:November 1st, 2006 08:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
I could see why people would be calling Veronica overly bitchy, even if I don't agree.. But here, I pretty much had no problem with it. Connecting it to the whole "blame Weevil!" game, I had less an issue with that than usual simply because it was Lilly's necklace that was taken from her, and that's what was spurning her on so drastically.

Even though, yeah, I don't recall any mention of this necklace before now, so. ;P
[User Picture]
From:beardoggx
Date:November 1st, 2006 12:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Enjoyed Heroes and VM this week, as always.

I left my recaps of the episodes on my LJ:

http://beardoggx.livejournal.com/68876.html- Heroes episode 6

http://beardoggx.livejournal.com/69238.html- Veronica Mars episode 3-5
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 03:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Other means, yo.
[User Picture]
From:etherealclarity
Date:November 1st, 2006 01:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was soo disappointed in Wallace. I don't like it when I'm disappointed in Wallace. It makes me sad. =(

The whole Claire faking her rape thing completely went over the heads of both my parents. My mom calls me RIGHT after the episode is over and is like "So... what does that mean? That Claire's boyfriend raped her and she didn't recognize him??" *facepalm*
[User Picture]
From:areacode212
Date:November 1st, 2006 01:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I have the first 2 episodes of Torchwood, but I only saw the 2nd one (having thought "Day One" would be the title of the 1st ep), and...I'm not feeling it either. I still don't like Captain Jack or John Barrowman's acting, and it just comes off as a second-rate X-Files with unappealing characters and a variety of English accents.

I may check out the rest of the season if I hear the show gets better of if there are more connections with Doctor Who, but for the moment, I'll be passing on it...
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 03:57 pm (UTC)

Spoiler for Torchwood Promo!

(Link)
The next episode looks to have a strong connection with Doctor Who. They find a machine that makes Cybermen.

But otherwise, I agree, yeah.
[User Picture]
From:jadelynx
Date:November 1st, 2006 01:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And speaking of evil promos: THANKS A FUCKING LOT FOR SPOILING D.L.'S POWER.


No fucking joke. I love promos. I love movie previews. I HATE when they tell the whole story or spoiler an awesome reveal in them. I mean, sheesh! And they've done that with every episode of Heroes. They spoiled Claire crashing the car. They spoiled Nathan taking off in flight away from Mystery Dude and BadDad. They spoiled D.L. I can't remember if they spoiled much in the promos for next week. Nothing stands out, so hopefully they didn't, but I hate the thought that I'll have to stop watching them.

It's worse than the way WB used to overdramatize their promos. (What is the big secret that could tear Lorelai and Luke apart ::cut to scene of Lore flipping out:: Then get to the story and Lore is flipping out over a movie and nothing strains Luke and Lore.)

And am I the only one who has a hard time with "Claire" in VM. I keep wanting to say "But wait, she didn't really get raped, she was just killed. But it's okay, cause she's alive again..." Hm.

I think you are definitely letting other people's opinions color your own, cause I would have thought this would be prime Sunil type stuff. :D Well, with the exception of the Wallace storyline. (I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "Mechanical engineer? Seriously?") I'm clinging to the hope that he didn't cheat and that he actually turned in the "tutor" or just turned in a blank answer sheet or something.

They need to give us more Cliff. We just don't get enough of him.
[User Picture]
From:pidgehuss
Date:November 1st, 2006 01:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've begun to notice even more comic-book touches.
And yet you didn't mention the visual effect of the screen door. That was my FAVORITE this episode. Seeing Niki's face with the little dots on it like that was quite amusing and (if it was actually intentional) really cool and a good way to use the surroundings naturally to add to the atmosphere of it all being a big comic book. Now I just want to see more scenes framed.

I wonder why Claire's dad finally "found" her bioparents this time
I was under the impression that he "found" them to keep her from being too nosy and poke into things and discovering anything. Although, he knows about her power; he's got to know it'll be more confusing to her to not have any clue as to where it came from. So...he could be mean and messing with her, but he has always seemed to love her. And the "mom" said something about being glad to help, remembering how confusing a time it was for her, etc, so maybe her dad was trying to help her in some way? Though, I do think the "mom" and "dad" knew about the whole thing and probably are involved with whatever the dad does.

Eden is evil, as everyone suspected but I didn't want to believe, but of course she's evil
I...actually thought she was less evil after this episode. I always was on the side of suspecting her, sure, but clearly Bad Glasses Man cannot be as evil as the Idiot Promo/Previously Guy keeps trying to indicate. Like, you cannot call someone "the face of evil" in a show like this and have it be true. So, knowing that she's working with BGM makes me think that she's less evil than I previously thought she was.

(Doh, the comment with the Veronica stuff included turns out to be too long, so a second comment to follow.)
[User Picture]
From:pidgehuss
Date:November 1st, 2006 01:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
why exactly was she thinking of her a lot lately?
Actually, I thought it was alluded to in her line to Claire about "crimes against women" being something she took care of. Which...I wasn't crazy about at all. I don't think of her investigation into Lilly's death as a femme crusade, I see it as a fervent attempt to find some closure and justice, all burgeoning from the anger of having lost her best friend. And her clients in the past haven't been primarily women, or if the majority have been, it hasn't been fueled overtly by some Crusade for the Protection of Women kind of attitude. So...technically they answered why she's been thinking of Lilly, but I REALLY disliked the answer.

it was quite funny to involve Cliff in a fake voiceover audition, given Daran Norris's prolific voiceover work.
I totally did not know that. But I am not surprised. I totally enjoyed his rehearsal in the waiting room, because Cliff is totally awesome and can do no wrong (not even when he ends up handcuffed to a bed, having lost the key to the Echolls' storage unit!) and the whole thing made me giggle.

HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE GODDAMN MORAL CENTER.
That's what I've always said about Wallace! Whoa. Yes, I'm pissed that he was involved with cheating (also, I am totally dumb, because I had to turn to my boyfriend and ask if the study guides were actually "study guides" or the actual test, but he wasn't sure either, so hee) and I don't know if Veronica's going to be able to wriggle him out of that spot, since it was kind of cut and dry the way it went down. Grrr.

BUT OMFG STOP FUCKING ACCUSING EVERYONE WITH YOUR OPENING LINE.
I hate that. For one thing, it puts the person you're talking with on the defensive (obvs) and makes the conversation much less likely to be littered with subtle clues. Also, I was PISSED that she went full out and accused Weevil like that. I thought their dynamic was really off this episode, because (and I admit, I need a S2 rewatch to refresh on a number of things) I don't remember them being particularly antagonistic last season, once the major drama of the class war wore off a little. Didn't she look concerned for him when she saw him get arrested at graduation? Didn't she JUST help him get a job with the school? What is their sudden clash? Because it seems rooted in more than the fact that it was Lilly's necklace. I practically got whiplash from her turning on him so fast.

Which means Claire totally faked her rape
I...okay, I didn't get that. But I didn't think too hard on the end, there, more along the lines of "whaa?" than "okay, so that means this, this, and this." I...need to get more analytical in my shows.
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:November 1st, 2006 02:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Man, can you imagine how AWESOME it would have been if we'd had NO IDEA that D.L. had any powers, and then suddenly, after not being where he'd landed, he COMES OUT OF THE F***ING WALL.

I was not pleased with Veronica and her automatic conclusion that Weevil did it. It's one thing to suspect, based on what he'd said earlier about feeling tempted to continue with crime, but to be so certain that her friend had done it was annoying. I understand that their friendship is complex, but they've been down this road of her suspecting him and being wrong in the past.

I am so, so, SO disappointed in Wallace. I can't even express just how little respect I have for cheating. The thing is, though, it really is so common. I don't know that I considered Wallace the moral center of the show. He's certainly a big part of the heart and warmth of the show, and he's the show's example of what a good friend is. But this isn't the first time that Wallace has done questionable things.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 04:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Man, can you imagine how AWESOME it would have been if we'd had NO IDEA that D.L. had any powers, and then suddenly, after not being where he'd landed, he COMES OUT OF THE F***ING WALL.
That would have indeed been awesome, although I knew he had powers anyway because he's included in the promotional photography and someone I know had been spoiled that he had powers.

It's one thing to suspect, based on what he'd said earlier about feeling tempted to continue with crime, but to be so certain that her friend had done it was annoying.
Yeah, though I think she and Weevil both had a decent understanding of what was going on. Weevil was a little hurt, but he also knew he'd done some stuff in the past. Veronica could have been a little softer, though.
(no subject) - (Anonymous) - Expand
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:November 1st, 2006 02:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, right, and the Claire thing: I totally didn't think she faked her rape, but now that you say that, Wow! My thought when watching was that she'd lied about not knowing Asian guy for some reason.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 04:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It helps that I've suspected the feminists of faking rapes for a while now, so I've been waiting for some sort of evidence of that.
[User Picture]
From:raelee
Date:November 1st, 2006 02:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And I officially love Claire's dad now, for a response of "That's cool" to Hiro's power.

Was that to Hiro's power? Why did I think he said it in reaction to Issac's power? I need to rewatch. I totally forgot about his reaction to "save the cheerleader" too! Dammit. I fail at commentary this week. I, too, thought it was ambiguous. He could be worried about Claire or he could be worried that the others know he has plans for her. If they weren't so intent on pushing him as the evil one in the promos, I'd say they are doing a good job of misleading people.

I appreciated the Lilly mention as much as anyone, but why exactly was she thinking of her a lot lately?

Actually I thought it was because it's October and there was just an anniversary of her death so I can buy that Veronica has been thinking about her lately. It was a little clunky how it came up but the necklace is why she immediately suspects Weevil. In fact, I'd say it's the only reason she suspects him and so quickly.

I'm not sure what to think about Wallace either. I can see why he'd be tempted to cheat but I really thought he was going to walk away when he realized. However, I think there is some reason to suspect that he may not have cheated... he's not stupid enough to be the first person to finish the test and I'm not sure his email to Veronica was upset enough for someone who just got caught cheating because with the zero tolerance policies these days he'd be lucky to still be at Hearst after something like that if not suddenly off the basketball team and his scholarship threatened. So, I get why people aren't quite sure he followed through with the cheating. I'm not sure what to think myself because I feel like the show has been a bit sloppy with the sideline stories this season and I no longer feel confident assuming they'll follow up on things that don't relate to the bigger mystery.

I agree somewhat on Veronica's bitchiness even though I don't actually agree with everyone's comments about her in that regard. Amusingly enough, though, the parts where I felt she was overly bitchy were parts you liked! Like to the Neptune High kid at the pizza place. She wants his help and she's being all short and snippy with him. Then again with her exit from the stage with the Theater people. I think some of it is just how Kristen chooses to deliver the lines but this episode was much better about not making everything she said a quick quip.

Claire... I don't know what to hink about it. I know people are going to be pissed if the feminist group had anyting to do with Claire faking and, while I won't be pissed, it'd be a push for me to ever believe the would. The group on a whole would know that it goes against everything they stand for. On the other hand, I can see Claire being a lone crusader and thinking that faking being raped after the stuff in the Hearst Lampoon would stop the people who haven't been taking the Lilth House seriously. In a way V exposing Claire (and, of course, she'll assume Claire wasn't working alone given her experience with those women), she'll make the other Lilth House women question their methods of dealing with the rapes.

Honestly, I'm worried about where they are going with this and how they are going to handle it. In some ways, I still have a lot of confidence that they have put more thought into this storyline than most of fandom does. But there's so much negativity already that I worry, if they didn't fully think it through and how people would react to things, they will end up finally driving people away from the show. For the first time, the thought of there only being one woman on that writing staff might not have been the balance they needed in getting opinions about this kind of story and the characters they involved. I'm trying to ignore all of that and hold onto my faith in these guys and the fact that I *know* they often make it appear that they are going one direction before revealing their true course.

Ack. Ok, I just used your comment area to go off on a tangent. Sorry!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 04:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The group on a whole would know that it goes against everything they stand for.
Seriously? No way, dude. People have been theorizing this for weeks now. They're fueling the fire for their own anti-Greek agenda. Girl gets raped at a Pi Sig party? Of COURSE it's a Pi Sig party.

I'm trying to ignore all of that and hold onto my faith in these guys and the fact that I *know* they often make it appear that they are going one direction before revealing their true course.
Yeah, you never know with these guys.
[User Picture]
From:gymble
Date:November 1st, 2006 03:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"A version of you FROM THE FUTURE gave me a message, and he was carrying a sword" was..."I had a sword?!" Right?
I loved that So. Much. Oh, Hiro.

She totally pulled a Clark with the cupcakes in the oven, but it's really not as effective her way.
I really hate that the writers feel the need to shoehorn her powers into every single episode. We're not reminded all the time of what Peter can do, so why the clumbsiness with Claire?

Veronica's following up on the clue from the previous episode! Fabulous!
I love that there's a natural progression to the rape investigation. The three mystery format is working much better for the pacing.

Wallace gets a storyline, and...it's about cheating? HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE GODDAMN MORAL CENTER.
See, this didn't bother me so much. But again, I really, really wish that the various charcter arcs were set up in a previous episode and followed out in the next. I can get behind a storyline where Wallace is driven to cheating, but I would have much preferred it if we'd seen him struggling earlier and only resorting to cheating later. It would have had much more impact and felt more understandable. They did exactly the same thing with the Logan doesn't want to do things with Veronica subplot in 3.3.

This is the first episode where I've seen some of the complaints about Veronica being bitchy and a walking punchline machine.
Hmmm ... I saw it in 3.1, but I thought she was funny enough tonight that it didn't bother me. I forgive a lot if I'm laughing through most of the episode. I'll forgive even more when Cliff makes regular appearances.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:November 1st, 2006 04:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
How come Hiro suddenly can't speak English again, after last week's convo with the other brother?
Who knows? I still don't know what was up with that, really. I think it may have been an in-person thing, feeling comfortable with Nathan or something. With the phone and this guy he can't see, it's just better for him to leave it to Ando.

But so far, have we seen them do anything evil?
Oh, no. Like I said, I don't think they're evil. But they do seem to be working against the Heroes somewhat. Or at least, they have a hidden agenda they're not telling them.

Do you know the actress that played Claire's biomom?
Nope.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com