?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Me + Idea = Good - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

October 24th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:54 pm - Me + Idea = Good
Please vote for #8.

This just in: I have some amusingness to preface tonight's post.

spectralbovine: When are you moving?
miniglik: Saturday!
spectralbovine: Holy cats!
miniglik: I'm going to talk entirely with sentences ending in exclamation points!
miniglik: Yaay!
spectralbovine: Exclamation points make me happy!
spectralbovine: Unless I'm being yelled at or condescended to!
miniglik: Okay!
miniglik: I'll try not to yell or condescend to you!
spectralbovine: The beginning of my VM post is so melancholy!
miniglik: Aw!
spectralbovine: I want the fire back!
miniglik: No Veronica Mars downloads up yet and [censored]!
miniglik: Everything is turning out so dark?
miniglik: Ahh!
spectralbovine: Nothing seems to penetrate my heart!
miniglik: I missed my exclamation!
miniglik: This sentence is mostly filler!
spectralbovine: I love you for making me laugh!
miniglik: Hee!

Fifteen minutes later...

miniglik: I want to know about love in the time of cylons!
spectralbovine: There is no love!
spectralbovine: Only death and pain!
miniglik: This show needs something to balance the pain!
spectralbovine: That is what Baltar is for!
miniglik: NOOoooo! That's not true! That's impossible!
spectralbovine: You know it, in your heart!
spectralbovine: You know it to be true!
miniglik: We are officially geeks!
spectralbovine: I cannot believe we just did that!
miniglik: We have referenced both Whedon and Lucas and both picked up the reference!
miniglik: We should be at a convention!

I'm sorry for frakking up the Vader line. Now, about the melancholy...

Sometimes I feel like I'm falling out of love with Veronica Mars. There's no question that I don't love it like I used to. My squee is taken up by several other shows these days. VM is still a huge part of my life, but we're just sort of good friends now instead of lovers.

I get antsy before each new episode because I'm afraid of what I'm about to see. Will it be good enough for me? Will it be good enough for the goddamn fandom? Will it be good enough for the Nielsen viewers?

But as soon as the episode starts, I feel like I'm home again. I feel comfortable. I've grown so attached to these characters, this world, their language, their posters, everything. I've always been an escapist, and Neptune is a place I like to escape to.

Overall, I thought it was a solid episode, but not stellar.

Hi, Wallace. Bye, Wallace.

Why does Dick exist? This is beginning to perplex me. I'm getting really tired of the multitude of Dick scenes when we barely get any Wallace or Mac. Granted, at least in this episode, there was a plot-related reason for him to be speaking to Veronica. But what was he talking about with Veronica clearing the Pi Sigs of the rapes? They were never accused! Troy was accused! And Veronica got them double secret probation! So, I mean, they do know she's got skillz, but there's no reason at all to think she harbors any goodwill toward them. And what is with all the focus on Veronica's rates? I don't even remember how many times we've actually seen her charge over the last two seasons. And that money is all probably tax-free!

Regarding the Continuity Error of Dooooooom: Veronica, um, did say the details were fuzzy. December 2003, summer 2004...IT ALL SORT OF RUNS TOGETHER AFTER A WHILE. Let's just be glad she mentioned it to Parker at all! Rewriting history is all the rage, anyway.

Besides, isn't it balanced by the fact that Veronica points a student to a book between Tolstoy and Turgenev, the two authors Aaron Echolls read while in prison? Come on, it's amusing. Be amused.

It's sort of annoying that Veronica keeps talking about Googling people when we're only ever allowed to see her use Planet Zowie. Or perhaps "Googling" as a verb has grown to encompass ALL SEARCH ENGINES EVER...much like Google itself will do in about a year.

I liked Keith's little plot, although it took me half the episode to catch the Just Shoot Me reunion. I was waiting for them to hook up. I like Laura San Giacomo for voicing a character in Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, one of my favorite computer games. At least the plotline gave us some old-time stakeout scenes. But, really, Keith, you couldn't have led with "Your husband's not cheating on you"? And can someone explain to me what the hell was up with the tie clip in the pizza?

Charleston Chu! Haaaaa. That's great. And she called him Token. Hee.

Okay, I still hate the "Greek chorus of feminist guilt," but the rat trap thing is pretty sweet.

The convenience store clerk was fun, though I was baffled that Veronica didn't even bother to ask him for a description of the guy Claire was with. And now she has a picture of him, so...yay, we found the rapist? And he's some random dude we've never seen before? I...think not. One thing I really like about this mystery as opposed to the Lilly Kane murder or the bus crash is that it's still ongoing. I think that's pretty cool, that the crime Veronica is trying to solve continues to happen the longer she doesn't solve it. Of course, you'd think that would lend the episodes and the mystery a greater sense of urgency, but...it doesn't, really. Except intellectually. But because students keep getting raped, Veronica keeps getting more evidence. It's sort of twisted the way that works. Because the only way for Veronica to make headway in the case is for the rapist to give her more clues by...raping someone else. Because the trail of clues seems to go cold each time.

Logan's plot was nice in that Logan got to have a plot that wasn't "Aw, shucks, Veronica, I'm so glad you're my girlfriend." Matt Czuchry basically acted exactly like Logan Huntzberger. And he got punched in the face, so yay. I liked that we got to hear more about Logan's childhood. The pear story was creepy. And Logan is really so alone in the world, it makes sense that he would want to reach out to the only pseudobiological family he has. And he does so to this song.

In conclusion, it took me almost half a minute to realize the Manning quarterbacks Veronica was referring to weren't, like, the Mannings on the show.
Current Mood: mellowmellow
Current Music: Lostprophets - Burn, Burn

(44 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:afrocurl
Date:October 25th, 2006 07:05 am (UTC)
(Link)
I understand where you're coming from about the show, but as I'm not in the same boat, I can't really comment.

Logan's storyline did make me really happy, and I agree that the pair story is just about the creepiest thing EVER!

Need more time for the rest of the episode.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:October 25th, 2006 02:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Your icon!

*jumps up and down*

I'm listening to that song right now!

And that pear story was so so sad. I could try to make some sort of allusion to blackbirds/freedom/Logan but I'm too tired. Heh.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:October 25th, 2006 07:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
And can someone explain to me what the hell was up with the tie clip in the pizza?
I only got this just now: the tie clip is a listening device. Keith was telling her to put it on his tie, so he could listen to his conversation. That's how he got the recording.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:October 25th, 2006 07:28 am (UTC)

Oh and...

(Link)
In conclusion, it took me almost half a minute to realize the Manning quarterbacks Veronica was referring to weren't, like, the Mannings on the show.
Dude, me too. They have way too many names on this show!
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:zimshan
Date:October 25th, 2006 07:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
VM is still a huge part of my life, but we're just sort of good friends now instead of lovers.

Ooo. Much better way of thinking of things. I officially reject my logic and accept yours.
[User Picture]
From:meghatron
Date:October 25th, 2006 09:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
OMG YOU PLAY GABRIEL KNIGHT?!?

If I weren't already married, we would be having babies. SRSLY.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 25th, 2006 03:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I LOVE THAT GAME. I HAVE ONLY PLAYED THE FIRST ONE, BUT IT BLEW MY MIND WITH ITS AWESOMENESS.

CABRIT SANS CORS MEANS...DON'T EAT THE CHILI.
[User Picture]
From:beardoggx
Date:October 25th, 2006 11:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
Let's just be glad she mentioned it to Parker at all!

Yeah, 'cause she needed to tell Parker about it to get her to trust her, but every time she managed to get two steps forward with Parker, her investigating for the Pi Sigs knocked her back four steps. She's now back to square one with Parker, and I think that Mac needs to play mediator.

And what is with all the focus on Veronica's rates?

My guess: To show that Veronica can charge whatever she wants, now that she's in college?

I don't even remember how many times we've actually seen her charge over the last two seasons.

Let's see.....she charged everyone $50 to dig up dirt on their parents in "Silence of the Lamb".

She charged Clemmons a letter of recommendation, two excused absences, and a different locker(near Wallace, away from Meg) in "Betty and Veronica".

That's at least two.
[User Picture]
From:miss_katelynne
Date:October 25th, 2006 04:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My thoughts on Parker ran this way last night: Parker's mad at Veronica because V made an ASSUMPTION about Parker, but Parker is making a heck of a lot of assumptions about Veronica's motives. I'm not very fond of Parker right now.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:October 25th, 2006 11:28 am (UTC)
(Link)
"Veronica points a student to a book between Tolstoy and Turgenev, the two authors Aaron Echolls read while in prison? Come on, it's amusing. Be amused."

This is just so awesome. Little things like this bring me the happy.

I kind of get your feeling re VM. I still love it but not with an all encompassing passion. I'm just kind of slutty about my television loves right now. Must be some sort of midlife crisis as I'm still married to VM but I'm having a side thing with Heroes, Studio 60, and Supernatural. So slutty but hey - still a lot of passion.

I don't know - I'm firmly in the loving this episode. I liked that Veronica's rape was brought up, I liked that Logan's child abuse was brought up, and I loved beyond a fiery passion the Logan and Veronica as a couple who really seem like a couple scenes. Plus, as you said, Logan got a good, organic to the show storyline. Plus his acting was terrific.

I thought Laura San Giacomo was excellent. Such great chemistry with EC.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 25th, 2006 03:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I loved beyond a fiery passion the Logan and Veronica as a couple who really seem like a couple scenes.
Yeah, they really did seem like a couple. I liked that little kiss on the cheek as she left to go talk to Chip. It really sold me on the fact that this unlikely pair had found something special.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 25th, 2006 03:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Aw, thanks.
[User Picture]
From:aprilbegins
Date:October 25th, 2006 12:25 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you for the song link. I really liked the convenience store guy, moreso the second runthrough.

Besides, isn't it balanced by the fact that Veronica points a student to a book between Tolstoy and Turgenev, the two authors Aaron Echolls read while in prison? Come on, it's amusing. Be amused.

I indeed did not catch that. I was focusing on the enormous blonde curls of doom. But I wouldn't have caught the reference anyway. So GOOD FOR YOU.

I thought the militant feminist crap FINALLY got a little funny when they were compared to a Greek chorus. Otherwise that's been my least favorite thing about the new season.
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:October 25th, 2006 12:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Right, so here's my question that I couldn't ask you because you live on the West Coast.

1) How did Matt know to tap Charlie's phone in the first place? He just happened to dig around and discover his existence and set up this little plan at the same time exact time that Veronica was prompted to discover Charlie by Logan's suspicions of Avi Kaufman stealing from him? Some coincidence.

2) Matt said he tapped Charlie's phone, not that he intercepted and erased his calls before he could get them. So why didn't Charlie return Logan's first message, when he had no reason to be angry at him yet for exposing him to the media? And if you want to say that Charlie simply didn't want to return the call because he didn't want to have anything to do with Logan for some other reason that we, the viewers, are not privy to, then the other question is...

3) How did Matt know Charlie wouldn't return the call? How did he know that he wouldn't call Logan to give him the lie about him being Charlie only to have Real Charlie call two minutes later to say he'd just gotten his message? One person fanwanked that all Matt needed was a couple of days to get juicy info for his story. Yeah, but with the risk he was taking, there was an excellent chance he'd get NO info and also screw up any future chances. Unless, again, he somehow knew for a fact Charlie wouldn't return Logan's call, and Charlie really wasn't involved in any of this, how could Matt have known that? Unless he intercepted the call. Which I doubt because he said he "tapped" the phone, not "intercepted his calls."
[User Picture]
From:coffeeandink
Date:October 25th, 2006 01:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
If we pretend that he guessed the passcode instead of tapped the phone, it works a lot better; all he has to do is break into Charlie's voice mail, retrieve his messages, and erase the ones he doesn't want Charlie to get.
[User Picture]
From:schnappycat
Date:October 25th, 2006 01:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dick exists because he is hilarious. I laugh whenever he is onscreen. Although it's sad that he is half the reason I am watching these days.

I knew the Manning reference right away. I'm smart! I didn't even think of Meg. Whatever that means.
[User Picture]
From:gymble
Date:October 25th, 2006 01:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
VM is still a huge part of my life, but we're just sort of good friends now instead of lovers.
Sadly, I know exactly how you feel. It's still fun. I like the show. But I'm not getting the OMG VM is on tonight feeling anymore and I miss it. They do still know how to do intense, right?

Why does Dick exist?
Because otherwise they'd have to invent an obnoxious frat brother? I'm very happy that they mentioned him breaking down at Logan's place (continuity!) - maybe they didn't drop that plotline. Awesome. Also, Dick amuses me. But I do wish that Veronica was more obviously disgusted by him. He's been awfully touchy=feely recently. Shouldn't she be cringing more? Or slapping him away?

Okay, I still hate the "Greek chorus of feminist guilt," but the rat trap thing is pretty sweet.
They annoyed me much less in this episode. Possibly because Parker was there. Do they have to be all "the frats must pay" when they don't really know who's responsible though?
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:October 25th, 2006 02:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I liked this episode quite a bit. I actually felt like it had some of the old Season 1 flare to it. I was glad to see the night time stakeout shots back - those wet streets and moody colors make me SO happy. I didn't realize how much I'd missed them I guess until I saw them again. And it was like a sigh of relief to have the darkness back. And I like that Logan's balcony can help out with the night scenes too.

I agree that I'm starting to resent Dick a wee bit since Wallace has been so few and far between though. I also resent Piz for the same reason, I just keep hoping they're saving Wallace and Mac for the 2nd arc.

I think I'm feeling the same way about the show, and I'm thinking it's because I'm mostly convinced it's going to get cancelled so I'm not letting myself get attached. I'm not very worried about the quality of the show though, because I feel like it's still very good. Different, but good.

And I didn't think of Meg's family at all when V mentioned the Mannings. That's sad isn't it?
[User Picture]
From:modlin
Date:October 25th, 2006 02:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree with just about every word of this comment, and it's so good to see these things, because all of the TWoP negativity is starting to make me sad. This was my favorite episode so far this season, I think. We all know Season 1 isn't going to happen again, for all kinds of reasons, and things are certainly different and perhaps not as good as they used to be... but there's still plenty to like.

And thanks for the commentary, spectralbovine. Hee.
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:October 25th, 2006 02:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
much like Google itself will do in about a year

Zing!


Come back to the five and dime, Wallace and Mac, Wallace and Mac. Sigh.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 25th, 2006 04:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I will always have a deep and abiding love for VM. But that's because I'm easy.
In more ways than one. ZING!

Just the touch of "whipped dudes make the worst friends." It's pretty obvious that whatever his pain is, it's right below the surface at all times, but since Dick deals mostly on the surface, it's not going to appear that often.
Yeah, good point.

I thought the fact that the feminists WENT to the haunted house looking for trouble was a pretty big sign.
And Claire was taking drinks? Really? From the frat house function?
[User Picture]
From:miss_katelynne
Date:October 25th, 2006 04:22 pm (UTC)

I agree...

(Link)
Logan Huntzberger + punched in the face = WIN!

I kinda hope the real Charlie calls Logan back because Logan could really used someone decent (who's also related to him) in his life. I don't think he will though.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com