?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Why Is He the Only One with an English Accent? - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

October 7th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:43 am - Why Is He the Only One with an English Accent?
Battlestar Galactica is back! But in order to prepare yourself, you must click these links.

"A New Crew in Town" is the funniest BSG-related thing I have EVER SEEN. And it's on the GODSDAMN OFFICIAL SITE. You have to watch it. It's briliantly hilarious. Comparably brilliant is "Lazy Friday," which I am still very proud of and think should be a Huge Internet Sensation. Much like this comic adaptation of the five-minute BSG miniseries by kiwikazoo. Finally, I was amused to discover that the official site is selling this shirt.

Okay, are you done laughing? Because you better be done laughing, since BSG isn't funny. Ever.

It was really, really lovely to hear my beloved prologue music again. They changed the visuals, but they were appropriate changes. But, God, I love that music.

The first act started out pretty strong. I think Starbuck killing Leoben and then quietly sitting down to eat dinner with one blood-stained hand was the best part of the episode. And...I mean both episodes. Because that scene wowed me and made me think, "Okay, maybe this show can woo me back." It helped, of course, that they used "Passacaglia."

For the larger part of the remaining hours, though, I was both annoyed and uncomfortable with the RIDICULOUSLY BLATANT parallels with the Bush administration and the current political environment. Yes, I know the show has been doing this for two years, making commentary on the world we live in, the dark side of the world we live in. But at this point, it's become a really depressing Daily Show. If I wanted to watch the news, I'd watch the news. Suicide bombings? Check. People being led into detention camps with bags over their heads? Check. President denying any reports of torture? Check. Everything being done in the name of God? Check. I'm fairly stupid and apolitical and don't pay attention to current events and even I could see it.

And speaking of seeing, file this under Things I Don't Need to See: Ellen Tigh having sex with Dean Stockwell. Although Ellen got some extra layers to her character in these episodes, so that was nice. She's now a Cylon-frakker.

I love Cavill, though. I really, really like that all the Cylons have very distinct, different personalities, and the clashes among them were highlights, especially because you get cute shots of the multiple clones. But they also highlighted a basic problem I had with the finale. What the frak are they frakking doing? They decided to subjugate the human race...in the name of God? If, as Cavill says, they're here to bring the Word of God, why aren't we seeing any preachers or churches or proselytizing? What does God want for the heathen human race and their Lords of Kobol? I don't understand! I also liked that Six and Eight have retained their "Downloaded" experience and are trying to bring a more enlightened "Um, maybe God doesn't want us to KILL EVERYONE SO MUCH" point of view to the table.

I do wonder about Caprica Six, though, who proclaimed her love for Baltar and then got SHOT IN THE FUCKING HEAD. Was she an anomaly? Will she be reborn just as she was? Do the other Sixes love Baltar? Someone needs to punch Doral in the face for killing Six like that, because you DON'T DO THAT.

Speaking of things you don't do: IS EVERYONE FRAKKING MARRIED NOW? Lee and Dualla got married? Sharon and Helo got married? Okay, that one I buy, but I'll miss hearing them say "Sharon Valerii," because that was a cool name.

Then there's Starbuck's baby, or whatever that is. Because the Cylon-human hybrids are the shit. This creepy arrangement with Leoben is...creepy. He's very patient, too, after getting killed five times. You'd think he'd take the hint. Starbuck's not going to love you, dude. Except when the kid trips and falls or something, and she squeezes your hand because children make the ovaries pulsate.

Gaeta got pretty cool, too, being the Mysterious Informant That Couldn't Possibly Be the Human Closest to the President. Okay, I didn't guess it was him until he started running like hell through the streets of New Caprica, which was a cool scene.

You know, a lot of shit happened in these two episodes. They packed them full of lots of intertwining, complicated subplots.

Also: Lee got FAT, yo. I was not even prepared. Poor Jamie Bamber. Look at that gut!

So. I appreciate what they're doing here. But I don't love it. This isn't the show I signed up for, you know? I liked it more when they were on the run from the Cylons. And I understand that they tried to shake things up, and I will admit this is the ballsiest show on television. And this whole resistance thing and human revolution thing could be very, very cool. But this show hasn't wooed me back just yet. I still like it. I think. I know I'm supposed to, after all. The show is still a phenomenal technical achievement; I love the production value, the look and sound of the show. And I want to see what's going to happen and where this story is going. I don't know. I don't deal well with change, and this is a big change.

Oh, Battlestar Galactica. I love the slanted walls in your A-shaped halls. I...wish we could see them again.
Current Mood: uncomfortableuncomfortable
Current Music: Peaches - Fuck the Pain Away

(30 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:queenrikki_hp
Date:October 7th, 2006 07:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Gaeta got pretty cool, too, being the Mysterious Informant That Couldn't Possibly Be the Human Closest to the President. Okay, I didn't guess it was him until he started running like hell through the streets of New Caprica, which was a cool scene.

Really? Hmmm, I figured it out at the same time they revealed that there was an informant. Poor Gaeta.

I do think it's kind of funny that everyone seems to have gotten married but I just sort of shrug. And "The New Crew In Town" is great. Anything that has the lines "Apollo's hair looked like a shampoo commercial" and "So much better than the one with Lorne Greene" wins in my book.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2006 07:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Really? Hmmm, I figured it out at the same time they revealed that there was an informant. Poor Gaeta.
Well, I'd sorta forgotten he existed.

Anything that has the lines "Apollo's hair looked like a shampoo commercial"
They didn't care about gravity or anything inertial!

"So much better than the one with Lorne Greene" wins in my book.
The hilarity is that they end by promoting the old BSG box set!
[User Picture]
From:kalbear
Date:October 7th, 2006 07:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm kinda shocked that you didn't mention one of the big standout changes - Osama bin Tigh. His "Angel of Death" speech and all that jazz was just scary and awesome in his extremism. Plus he has such a cool relationship with Ellen.

It isn't the BSG that I knew last season, that's very true, though I do think that it is the same show with the same people at its core. There is change, and difference, but the same questions are being asked, the same fight is being fought, the same conflicts are surfacing, and the fundamental question - does humanity deserve salvation? - is still there. I'm sorry you're not digging it as much.
[User Picture]
From:the_partyman
Date:October 7th, 2006 07:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Podgy lee amuses me.

Dualla is still teh cuteness.

I missed the Sharon AGATHON thing. Thanks for mentioning it!

Tigh losing an eye really disturbed me.

I love your write-ups. :)

Starbuck better be acting.

Cliffhangers are evil.

I agree with what you say about it being a huge change, and a departure form the show we have come to know and love, but I gotta admit... those episodes delivered some frakking great drama.

I would think... or at least hope that at some point during this season they'll be back in space again, and running running running... ;?
[User Picture]
From:miss_katelynne
Date:October 7th, 2006 07:57 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I know where Tigh's eye is... it's in the Arrow Hatch on Lost Island.

I thought Starbuck's squeezing Leoben's hand was really abrupt and I can't help but think she's up to something (again). There's no way she's going to start having feelings for him just because "that thing" fell down the stairs. I just don't buy it.

I'm with you, I didn't figure out Gaeta was the informer until.. well, maybe a little before he was running through the streets. When he was talking with Gaius, I thought, "I bet he's the informant." And I was right! Which pleased me greatly.

Everyone being married was somewhat Harlequin Romance, but at the same time, the human race is possibly coming to an end so that could seem more important in those circumstances.

Jamie Bamber's fat suit provides me with no end of amusement.

Chief/Callie's baby is Teh Cuteness.
[User Picture]
From:warden96
Date:October 7th, 2006 08:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I do wonder about Caprica Six, though, who proclaimed her love for Baltar and then got SHOT IN THE FUCKING HEAD. Was she an anomaly? Will she be reborn just as she was?

If she does, I'm sure they'll just shoot her in the head when she comes out of the goo and keep doing so.

Do the other Sixes love Baltar? Someone needs to punch Doral in the face for killing Six like that, because you DON'T DO THAT.

What would you have him do? Put her in timeout until she comes to her senses?

Also: Lee got FAT, yo. I was not even prepared. Poor Jamie Bamber. Look at that gut!

He was fat at the end of last season so why wouldn't he be fat here? Or is it something against fat people who used to be skinny in general?

Oh, Battlestar Galactica. I love the slanted walls in your A-shaped halls. I...wish we could see them again.

Are you going to consider recapping Caprica now?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2006 08:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
He was fat at the end of last season so why wouldn't he be fat here?
He was fat then. He's FAT now. Complete with realistic-looking prosthetic and various characters making jokes about how fat he's become.

Are you going to consider recapping Caprica now?
Because it will have slanted walls and A-shaped halls? Non sequitur.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 7th, 2006 08:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm fairly stupid and apolitical and don't pay attention to current events and even I could see it.

Maybe he's not trying to get even "fairly stupid and apolitical" people to see it but to care.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 7th, 2006 08:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Sorry, I posted before I explained myself--was just following links to and from various reviews of the episode and felt compelled to commen there.

I'm just consumed of late with political rage that more people are choosing ignorance over outrage. Sorry for barging in.
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:October 7th, 2006 09:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Starbuck and Leoben = my new OTP. It's so deliciously fucked up, I just love it. Sick, sick, sick. Yay!

It made perfect sense to me that everyone'd get married - they think they're safe, right? What's the first thing you do when your species has narrowly escaped annihilation? Get married and start having babies!
From:wee_warrior
Date:October 7th, 2006 09:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I liked it a lot, but now I'm scared for like, everyone. *clings to Gaeta, Roslin, Sharon, and even Tom Zarek*

Agree with you on Cavill, he is quite an awesome character. Genuinely creepy, but somehow, all the male cylons seem to have serious social relatability problems (except maybe for Doctor Cylon, he probably has good bedside manners programmed).

I am surprised that everyone is getting married, as well, but I think that's more of a cultural difference - I really don't see why you would need to get married in order to advance your species. And seriously, Anastasia Adama? Yikes. (I hope she survives, really. She and Gaeta are so awesome. Sigh.)

And Kara is better faking it.
[User Picture]
From:ariiadne
Date:October 7th, 2006 09:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Skipping your post because I'm downloading the episode... grr, it's been going all fucking day!! Only 40 minutes left, though. Stupid internet connection.

But what I really wanted to say was OMG that was hysterical. The music video, I mean. My housemate's girlfriend (who is in the livingroom with me) was totally baffled as to what I kept cackling about.

...I need a BSG icon.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:October 7th, 2006 11:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
But at this point, it's become a really depressing Daily Show. If I wanted to watch the news, I'd watch the news.

Yeah, it was a little heavy-handed in places, but look on the bright side: how many other shows on television would have the absolute balls to have their main characters on the side of the suicide bombers. I really, really didn't think they'd have Duck go through with it and then...DAMN.

I was actually more struck in places by, obviously, parallels to occupied Europe in WWII, with all the talk of collaborators and the policing.

I do wonder about Caprica Six, though, who proclaimed her love for Baltar and then got SHOT IN THE FUCKING HEAD. Was she an anomaly? Will she be reborn just as she was?

I assume and hope so -- I mean, they talked of boxing her back in "Downloaded" but I'm not sure if they're still thinking about it after she supposedly spearheaded a revolution in their thinking. It didn't take, obviously, but still. "Hold still and die, dammit! WHY WON'T YOU LET US LOVE YOU?"

Speaking of things you don't do: IS EVERYONE FRAKKING MARRIED NOW?

It is apparently contageous. I wonder if Sharon was allowed out of her cell for the ceremony, reception, and/or honeymoon. NO TOUCHING!

Then there's Starbuck's baby, or whatever that is.

They put that line about "This is Kara. She's your mother." in one of the S3 promos! WTF? That should have been a major shock, but instead I was like, "Oh, there that is." Leoben gives me the willies.

Okay, I didn't guess it was him until he started running like hell through the streets of New Caprica, which was a cool scene.

Hee -- I knew it was Gaeta the second they said there was an informant. Foolish Cow.

Also: Lee got FAT, yo. I was not even prepared. Poor Jamie Bamber. Look at that gut!

David Eick did a video blog about Jamie and the fat suit -- he's wearing the prosthetic bellies from when they had to make Boomer look pregnant, hee! Also, apparently the writers forgot they had made Apollo fat so Jamie had to call David and Ron and be like "Um, guys?" And then they were all, "Oh yeah, you're fat! We should do something about that..."

And I want to see what's going to happen and where this story is going. I don't know. I don't deal well with change, and this is a big change.

I give them...five episodes, before they're all back in space again. This is kind of like the arc from "Shattered" to "Home, Part II" last season -- they've got to get everybody rounded up again and on their way.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:October 7th, 2006 11:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I just have one thing to say:

TIGH IS A PIRATE.

That is all.
[User Picture]
From:cucumbersarnies
Date:October 8th, 2006 12:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
Richard Hatch was in the orginal series! I did not know this. Wheee!

I need to find a way to watch the new series. This whole spoiler free thing is just not going to work.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 8th, 2006 08:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm fairly stupid and apolitical and don't pay attention to current events and even I could see it.

I kind of think that's a good thing. Plus, just the fact they were willing to take this on so fucking blatently is a huge plus in my eyes. In this environment, it takes balls.

Except when the kid trips and falls or something, and she squeezes your hand because children make the ovaries pulsate.

Part of me thinks Starbuck is faking, but even if she's not, I do think it's about a lot more than just kiddies making our lady parts pulsate (and, believe me, I'd be all too ready to jump all over that) I think it has more to do with that crazy fucker Leoben getting Kara where it hurts by bringing in the very thought of a little girl being hurt not only on her watch, but really kind of because of her actions. I mean, considering Kara's own experiences with abuse and her childhood, this was a really smart tactic. And totally fucked up.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:October 8th, 2006 08:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ugh, that was me, V.
[User Picture]
From:mutinousmuse
Date:October 9th, 2006 04:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh my god! The kid totally made my ovaries pulsate! Unless that was just the cyst acting up again. ;) See, at that point, I was just glad it wasn't another frakking baby.

I'm sorry you didn't dig the ep... I liked it, but then, I really did spend the first 40 minutes shrieking "OhmygodBSGisbaaaaaaaaaack!" at a rather high decibal, so.
(Deleted comment)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com