November 23rd, 2009
|09:49 pm - Happy Family at Slapsgiving|
Two of my favorite shows had Thanksgiving episodes the week of Thanksgiving! Oh, television scheduling, how do you do it?
( DexterCollapse )
( How I Met Your MotherCollapse )
I do wonder what sort of television show Orphans' Thanksgiving will be like this year.
Inspired by silveronthetree, I am also doing the First Lines Meme!
1. Pick 10 of your favorite books or series.
2. Post the first sentence of each book. (If one sentence seems too short, post two or three!)
3. Let everyone try to guess the titles and authors of your books.
1. [Character]: It's hard being left behind. I wait for [Character], not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay. (The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger, guessed by jeeperstseepers and latropita)
2. I was born with water on the brain. (The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie, guessed by airbefore)
3. Two tires fly. Two wail. / A bamboo grove, all chopped down / From it, warring songs....is the best that Corporal [Character] can do on short notice—he's standing on the running board, gripping his Springfield with one hand and the rearview mirror with the other, so counting the syllables on his fingers is out of the question. (Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, guessed by the_narration and scifantasy)
4. It seems increasingly likely that I really will undertake the expedition that has been preoccupying my imagination now for some days. (The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro, guessed by airbefore and latropita)
5. Linderwall was a large kingdom, just east of the Mountains of Morning, where philosophers were highly respected and the number five was fashionable. (Dealing with Dragons, by Patricia C. Wrede, guessed by latropita)
6. On an exceptionally hot evening early in July a young man came out of the garret in which he lodged in S. Place and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. bridge. (Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky, guessed by jenepel and aderyn)
7. This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it. (The Princess Bride, by William Goldman, guessed by jeeperstseepers)
8. The first time was like this. (Jumper, by Steven Gould, guessed by incidentist)
9. At first, the new owner pretends he never looked at the living room floor. (Lullaby, by Chuck Palahniuk, guessed by ahtrap)
10. From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss [Character] still called the office because her father had called it that—a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes that [Character] thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them. (Absalom, Absalom!, by William Faulkner, guessed by musesfool and punzerel)
As a side note, I wanted to use A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius but couldn't decide what the first line was.
Current Mood: amused
Current Music: 311 - You Wouldn't Believe