?

Log in

No account? Create an account
The Pre-Cut Section of My Post Just Gets Longer and Longer - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

December 1st, 2008


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:44 pm - The Pre-Cut Section of My Post Just Gets Longer and Longer
Thank you to everyone who participated in my ringtone poll. I valued your input! And then made my own decision by adding in the "What song is that?"/"Oh, it's X by Y!" factor. I ended up getting "Supermassive Black Hole," "Future Proof," "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games," "Spitting Games," "Wish You Were Here"—HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER—and "Aerials." Wait, what? That wasn't on the poll! Yeah, um, sorry, I hadn't realized the ringtone for that song was just the opening, which is lovely and perfect ringtone material. And I wanted a System of a Down ringtone because I love them. Also, no, I can count: I got a free bonus ringtone because I was having trouble downloading from the website, so the very friendly T-Mobile lady refunded one of my credits. Full disclosure: number six was "Wish You Were Here."

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I have to share this story. In five days, the Internet raised $10,000 and saved someone's home. I gave a dollar, and I'm proud to be a part of the total. If everyone does a little, it adds up to a lot.

Finally: are you excited for Terminator Salvation for any reason? (Wait, hold up, there's really no colon in the title? It's called Terminator Salvation? Like...the salvation of the Terminators? We're saving them now, that's the future?) Do you love the original movies and/or The Sarah Connor Chronicles? Do you love post-apocalyptic futures? Do you love Christian Bale? Whatever your reasons, miniglik wants to hear from you. Go be her friend, now. She is desperate for people to fangirl this movie with, months before it opens. She is so desperate she is posting on the IMDb forums, you guys. Throw the girl a bone.

Actually: throw me a bone. I am in need of icons! Point me to your favorite places to find good icons for Dexter, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and How I Met Your Mother. Also 30 Rock. Maybe Doctor Who? You know what I like.

Sorry, I'm not done! Because I just watched "Back to the Hellmouth," the postmortem nostalgia discussion thing on the bonus disc of the Chosen Collection (which I do not have; I don't remember where I downloaded this), and it's fantastic. Can I just re-declare my love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The episodes, the people, the experience? Then, now, and forever?

Dexter

Eeeeee, Dexter vs. Miguel is fun crazy times. That scene on the roof! Holy crap! I liked that even thought he was yelling and screaming, it didn't feel like a loony, over-the-top villain (like...Veronica Mars villains in the first two finales). It just felt like Miguel finally able to be himself and be angry. He's definitely more awesome as The Villain than The Annoying Friend.

And Miguel is totally in league with the Skinner just like everyone thought! Which explains his covering the camera from EVERYONE last week. I'm still not sure why he doesn't just tell him Freebo's dead, though. How much money is involved here? What's the Skinner's motivation? Why the hell is Miguel letting him go off on all these people for nothing? Does he think they deserve it? I'm still trying to reconcile our initial impressions of Miguel with how he's acting now. I would really like to believe that he hasn't been some huge criminal mastermind from the start, that he was only using Dexter for his methods. I want Dexter to have really pushed him over the edge morally to get his own hands dirty. Although, even without that, his giddy enthusiasm and desire to get right to the killin' make a lot more sense if he just needed to see Dexter in action. I mean, in retrospect, all those scenes do make a lot more sense. But I want Dexter to have had a real effect on him, want what we thought was going on to have actually been going on, partially.

LaGuerta ought to try macking on single guys for a change of pace.

And Angel! Almost went medieval on a guy and didn't! Good job, Batista. You made the right choice. You have no inner darkness.

AAARGH THE SKINNER HAS DEXTER THIS IS BAAAAAAAAAD. (No! I shouted. Noooooooooo!!!)

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

I think Summer Glau was bored with this episode. I liked the concept of the episode: what does Cameron do all night? And the answer is...research? With Kevin Donnelly! (Also, Cameron, please bring me donuts. I have been craving donuts for days. I suppose I could just go buy one from the donut shop down the street. But not now, it's late.) About...KILLER ROBOTS IN THE ROARING TWENTIES WHAT. That idea sounds awesome on paper, but it just looked kind of silly on the screen. Plus, the T-888 looked too much like Brad Garrett. HOWEVER. The basic story there was kind of awesome. Ending up in the wrong year and accidentally killing an important person and having to make sure his life's work still gets done (although, man, don't you think bankrupting that other guy might have had some repercussions in the future?). And then he time traveled the long way Fortunado-style! Just so he could assassinate the California governor for some reason? That seems like an awful lot of work.

But forget that: THE THREE DOTS ARE A STARDATE! Right? But not the one Stark was supposed to go to, or the story's over, and that's no fun. I think the payoff of that storyline was pretty damn cool, but getting to that point was kind of slow and plodding in a way. But it was interesting to see Cameron interact with someone else, I guess.

John and Riley, whatever. That's the first time they've actually kissed, right? They've practically been dating for seventeen years, but I don't think we've seen them be explicitly a couple until now. The best part of that whole storyline was watching John wail on that dude. Like mother, like son.

Ah well. This was clearly an episode designed to give most of the main cast some time off and, I don't know, dress people up in 1920s garb for some reason.

Chuck

Evil Sensei Dixon! He's no Sensei Ping, but that's okay.

You know, Chuck does seem to get himself in an awful lot of trouble. But I guess he evens it out by saving the day?

I think they should explore the relationship between Casey and Sarah more. What's it like working together? Being partners? In the early days of the show, it seemed to be a big deal that they were from different agencies, but now that's hardly touched on.

I'm surprised they went with "Eye of the tiger, buddy" rather than "Sweep the leg, Johnny."

But then Josh Schwartz busted out with Probot! Ha! "Shake Your Blood"! I got that song from a CD Baby compilation! I never thought I would encounter it on a TV show.

"That seven years of MacGyver finally paid off." Ahahahahahaha. I heart you, show.

What's the deal with the parents? I don't remember. I guess their dad walked out on them at some point, obviously, but is their mom alive? Chuck is totally going to find their dad! He has resources!

Crisis on Infinite Heroes

Longest. Eclipse. Ever.

But there was actually some pretty cool stuff! First, however, we have to ignore the fact that at the end of the last episode, Noah had his sights pretty clearly on Sylar, because he apparently did not shoot and then just sat there watching Sylar and Elle have sex. But then he hunted them down with extreme vengeance, and it was awesome. (P.S. This week, Elle thinks Sylar is good and has changed. Sylar has decided that being good is boring and that in order to keep Elle from changing her mind, he will just kill her. Except he hasn't killed her yet because we didn't see it.)

Claire dies! Again. Who does she think she is, Buffy?

It was cool to see the Haitian being awesome! And...inspiring Nathan to remember that time he watched Spider-Man and what comes with great power. I don't know, man. Didn't you read Watchmen? This doesn't end well.

Daphne is cute and made a scarecrow! Except, oh my God, people on this show need to stop using the word "villain." No one says that! Daphne only gets a pass because she then calls herself "nemesis," which was Hiro's word for her. But geez. This show could be such an interesting morality tale about people with powers making choices if it weren't so heavy-handed about everything.

The stuff in Sam's Comics was pretty damn amusing. (Also, whichever one isn't Sam is named Frack. Ha.) I loved Seth Green and Breckin Meyer seeing their comic book come to life. "That was Matt Parkman." And then the geekery about Hiro and Claire having a proper scene together! Hee. And then, haaaaaa, the whole story he heard at a con. Awesome.

And then! "Bad man." BOOM! SWISH! SHAZAM! We have not seen Hiro badassery like that in quite some time. I was sitting there embarrassedly smiling in glee afterward because that was so cool and I AM JUST NOT USED TO THAT FROM THIS SHOW ANYMORE. Remember in the first season when that happened every week? Ten-year-old Hiro loses some Badass Points for putting Sylar and Elle in the same place, COME ON.

I don't understand what's so "Holy $@#&*" about the cliffhanger, Claire. None of that is new information, is it? Is it just because she's never time traveled before? Or, er, seen herself as a baby? That's probably it, I guess.

Oh! Oh! And I hope Noah's right about Sylar not really being a Petrelli. Because that was a stupid idea to begin with, and Angela and Arthur would totally lie to him about that.
Current Mood: lonelylonely
Current Music: Hey Ocean! - Alleyways

(29 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:airbefore
Date:December 2nd, 2008 08:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
What's the deal with the parents? I don't remember. I guess their dad walked out on them at some point, obviously, but is their mom alive? Chuck is totally going to find their dad! He has resources!
In the first season it was stated that the mom left and that they were raised by a dad who was "there but not really there". And the pilot actually hinted at the dad being dead. And now it's being retconned and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Sinsei Ping! Man, I miss that show.

I too was really expecting a "sweep the leg" comment. And the Casey/Sarah partnership intrigues me as well. They both still make cutting remarks about the other's agency from time to time but the animosity seems to be completely gone. I kinda miss it.

And, in conclusion, I love Adam Baldwin.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And the pilot actually hinted at the dad being dead.
I had a feeling he was supposed to be dead too! Didn't the two of them have dinner on the day of his death or something?
[User Picture]
From:kammgirl
Date:December 2nd, 2008 10:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
Do you think Elle is really dead?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No body, no death.
[User Picture]
From:teapot37
Date:December 2nd, 2008 05:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And the First Rule of Comic Books for a long time has been "Only Bucky stays dead." (Of course, now even that's not true.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 05:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Which one is Bucky?

And I thought the Waynes were off-limits as well.
[User Picture]
From:teapot37
Date:December 2nd, 2008 06:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Bucky was Captain America's sidekick during WWII. He and Cap were trying to defuse a bomb on an airplane flying over the North Atlantic. The bomb detonated, ostensibly killing Bucky and throwing Cap into the freezing water, where he fell into a state of suspended animation before being revived by the Avengers in the '60s.

A few years ago, a new villain, a Soviet assassin called the Winter Soldier, showed up. It turned out to be a reprogrammed, amnesiac Bucky.

And I thought the Waynes were off-limits as well.
Funny you should say that. Look at some of the synopses for the "Batman R.I.P." storyline currently running.

I think the rule has been revised to say "Only Uncle Ben stays dead."
[User Picture]
From:maidofawesome
Date:December 2nd, 2008 10:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
I just spoiled myself for Heroes, sigh. But I'm not sure if I care. Haven't watched yet, y'see.

I was going to say, feel free to help yourself to any icons in my userpics. There are a few Doctor Who ones, at least. This one is my new favourite, but it's not really you...
[User Picture]
From:catalyst2
Date:December 2nd, 2008 11:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Did you see the animated poster for Terminator: Salvation? Ooh,I just noticed that I put a colon in there - is the non-coloness official?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh yeah, that animated poster rules.
[User Picture]
From:tiggz
Date:December 2nd, 2008 11:57 am (UTC)
(Link)
research? With Kevin Donnelly!

argh! thank you!! i spent the whole episode going, "who IS that?!". i knew i knew him.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Me too! It took me a while to peg him as a Donnelly, and then I checked IMDb to confirm.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:December 2nd, 2008 02:30 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I didn't know any of the songs you had posted for your poll (what no musical theatre songs - hee!) so I've been no commenty.

But I did enjoy Chuck last night and the McGyver moment was terrific.
[User Picture]
From:janinedog
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
When Hiro popped into the middle of the craziness and said "Bad man" all of us watching it totally died laughing in glee. So awesome!

Mohinder was kind of annoying this episode. Sure, he beat up the fire guy, but he's really becoming too emo for my tastes. Also, what's with him continuing to stalk Maya? Pretty creepy.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Totally creepy! I forgot to mention that the microscope attack was pretty sweet, though.

And I was hoping Hiro would randomly pop into the Bennet house in the middle of a scene—it would have been hilarious if he'd jumped in during the scene between Claire and her dad. But then I forgot about him once Sylar attacked.
[User Picture]
From:miniglik
Date:December 2nd, 2008 03:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Finally: are you excited for Terminator Salvation for any reason? (Wait, hold up, there's really no colon in the title? It's called Terminator Salvation? Like...the salvation of the Terminators? We're saving them now, that's the future?) Do you love the original movies and/or The Sarah Connor Chronicles? Do you love post-apocalyptic futures? Do you love Christian Bale? Whatever your reasons, miniglik wants to hear from you. Go be her friend, now. She is desperate for people to fangirl this movie with, months before it opens. She is so desperate she is posting on the IMDb forums, you guys. Throw the girl a bone.


Oy! My shame is public now. *sad*

I didn't watch any shows yesterday! So I can't read your post otherwise!

Exclamation point!

I don't know any good icon makers to throw you at. I usually just follow the links in people's userpics.

edit, edit, edit, edit

Edited at 2008-12-02 03:49 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:spideychris
Date:December 2nd, 2008 08:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I seemed to have completely missed the point in Noah's against-the-wallness where he pointed out that Elle had seen Sylar's file and knew he wasn't a Petrelli.

So when Sylar killed her (and I don't see any reason why he would have stopped, and IMDB doesn't show Kristen returning for any other episodes in the future, so I had to sadly accept that the once-awesome-Elle is dead), I was completely beside myself.

In AIM I was all "NOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOO! WHY? WHY KILL HER? HE ALREADY HAD HER POWER! HE LET CLAIRE GO AFTER HE GOT HERS, WHY WOULD HE DO THAT?"

Then it got pointed out to me, and then I started to think about it, and I was like "Wait. That totally makes sense." Because, after all, there's the part where Elle was willing to lie to him (again) and he knew he couldn't trust her. And then there's the fact that he DID need to kill her to take her power.

I mean, think about it. Sylar dissects peoples brains in order to steal the knowledge, to know how their power works. Sylar is all about using things to their full potential when they would otherwise be wasted. And, sure, he took Elle's power through Empathy (which I still don't understand how he did that), but it was shown that he wasn't using it very well. Elle had to train him. He had the power, but he didn't have the skill to use it.

It's the same problem Peter's always had, he's able to emotionally call on a power but lacks the precision to use it fully. While Sylar has a much more difficult time acquiring them, but he can use them to their full ability.

So now, by cutting out Elle's brain, he's mastered her ability. The quick and easy path to power. It's the Dark Side of the Force.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 10:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I seemed to have completely missed the point in Noah's against-the-wallness where he pointed out that Elle had seen Sylar's file and knew he wasn't a Petrelli.
What kind of point do you mean? I guess he was referring to that One Year Ago time when Elle must have seen Sylar's file before they cased his joint.

So now, by cutting out Elle's brain, he's mastered her ability. The quick and easy path to power. It's the Dark Side of the Force.
I'm not sure that's how it works. Because when he got that lady's superhearing, he was having massive headaches for a while before he learned how to turn it off. It wasn't instant mastery. But it's a good theory.
[User Picture]
From:spideychris
Date:December 3rd, 2008 01:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm not sure that's how it works. Because when he got that lady's superhearing, he was having massive headaches for a while before he learned how to turn it off. It wasn't instant mastery. But it's a good theory.

I'm not sure if that was more like him not knowing how to master it, or the writers just going "Hey! Let's give him a headache so we can hammer home the point that he took her power!" These writers aren't really known for their subtlety.

I mean, look at the original telekinesis for my hypothesis on this. The guy that he stole it from could barely move a cup across the table. But after Sylar stole his power, he suddenly had enough precision and control to slice open peoples' heads and easily fling things across the room in almost no time.
[User Picture]
From:cran
Date:December 2nd, 2008 09:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Are we sure that Miguel and the Skinner are really working together? I assumed that Miguel realized recently that he needed to get rid of Dexter and decided to use the Skinner to do it. It's clever, because the Skinner would assume that Miguel just wants to find Freebo, the man who supposedly murdered his brother, and so the Skinner wouldn't think it was weird that Miguel was helping him out.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 2nd, 2008 10:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That's a good point. You think their involvement only started when he went into the interrogation room? That makes a lot of sense, more sense than Miguel letting the Skinner go around skinning people for no reason.
[User Picture]
From:cran
Date:December 3rd, 2008 08:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I don't think they had anything to do with each other before that. I think Miguel went into the interrogation room, turned the camera off, and said, basically, "Hey, I want Freebo found as much as you do because that bastard murdered my brother. Dexter Morgan knows where he is; go get him."
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:December 3rd, 2008 12:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
I just got a chance to watch TV! And man, I loved Dexter.

But I want Dexter to have had a real effect on him, want what we thought was going on to have actually been going on, partially.
I'm still not quite sure what the worry is here as it seems to me that Dex has already, definitely had an impact on Miguel and how he goes about living his life as a hands on killer - even if Miguel ultimately ends up tossing aside all of Dex's tips for not getting caught.

Firstly, and most importantly, I think he learned that it was OK to kill, enjoy it, and still live a good (on the surface) life amongst normal people. (Not OK in a moral sense as it applies to sane people, but OK in a "you can get away with it and seem normal", sort of way.) Finding Dex gave him permission, I guess, to get his hands dirty and like it.

The way Miguel dealt with the Skinner re-enforced my opinion that he's had lots of experience, and no problem with, ordering others to commit murder for him - but not until he met Dex, did he let loose and do it himself simply because he likes it. You know? I can imagine he ordered hits on enemies without regret, and maybe got a slight thrill from doing that, but the feel of killing someone with his own hands? Was all Dex's doing. I tend to think Miguel isn't play acting to such an extreme that he's killed lots of people before and is somehow shining Dex on. Mostly because of Miguel's compulsion to take a trophy. If he'd done this before, why take such obviously traceable trophies? Even if he was shining Dex on, for some other, unknown to us, purpose - wouldn't he still want to keep the murders from being traced back to him? So, his compulsion to take the rings off people says to me he hasn't thought things through all that much yet. He's still in the early stages of figuring out what works best for him as a killer, so he goes with the emotional need, rather than what'll keep him safe.

And Angel! Almost went medieval on a guy and didn't! Good job, Batista. You made the right choice. You have no inner darkness.
And what I found most amazing about this was: Dexter being the one who made him see what the right thing was! This is HUGE, for Dexter. He's growing as a human being, and I think it's so cool. It's one of the things I've found most interesting about this season. Dexter, as a feeling, caring human being, is slowly coming out. He's learning things like compassion and mercy, because of what happened with Camilla. And he's learning regret, because of not being there for Rita when she almost lost their baby. Etc! I mean, he's still stunted in comparison to normal people, but I do think he's evolving.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles
I haven't watched this show since, I think, episode 3 of this season. But I really enjoyed this episode, for the most part. Cameron's parts, anyway. John and that girlfriend of his are dullsville (though, I heard she has another agenda - what is it? I'm too lazy to go and read recaps and such.)

Also, I SO didn't get the 3 dots connected to Cam figuring out the star date thing! Nice.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 3rd, 2008 12:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
He's still in the early stages of figuring out what works best for him as a killer, so he goes with the emotional need, rather than what'll keep him safe.
You know, when you put it all that way, it puts me at ease. Dexter did sort of bring him out of his shell, make him more comfortable with the idea, even though he wasn't as innocent as he appeared on the surface.

It's one of the things I've found most interesting about this season. Dexter, as a feeling, caring human being, is slowly coming out. He's learning things like compassion and mercy, because of what happened with Camilla. And he's learning regret, because of not being there for Rita when she almost lost their baby.
Yeah! Aw, Dexter.

(though, I heard she has another agenda - what is it? I'm too lazy to go and read recaps and such.)
You should watch the last few episodes! They're really good.
[User Picture]
From:idreamofpeace
Date:December 3rd, 2008 03:45 am (UTC)
(Link)
Can I just re-declare my love for Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The episodes, the people, the experience? Then, now, and forever?

Yes, yes and yes. I've been totally nostalgic for Buffy, as well.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:December 3rd, 2008 06:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
I hadn't really thought about it for a while, but listening to them all talk about it brought the love back. SO. GOOD.
[User Picture]
From:loopychew
Date:December 3rd, 2008 01:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I like your idea of the three dots being a star date, but I need a quick refresher: Did Sarah dream it first, or did she see the bloodstains first? (Although, I suppose, she could have seen the bloodstains subconsciously, which manifested in her dreams.) Also, if the dude writing on the wall in his own blood was dying (you know, it being his own blood and all), wouldn't it have been easier to write the date than to mark the three dots in a way that would require some significant mathematical calculation to get it right when marking it on the wall (again, in his own blood) and a steady, precise hand (which I presume would be difficult seeing as he's dying)?

Also, what do you think happened to Eric at the end? Went to the doctor? Suicide? Sick day? Getting a restraining order? It's one of those questions not likely to be answered by the show, but something I feel like asking, anyway.
[User Picture]
From:radiotelescope
Date:December 3rd, 2008 07:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, the dots are a stardate, thank you, I totally missed that.

In reality, the star motions over a timespan of decades are so minuscule that a human eye couldn't possibly pick them out -- nor a human hand render them correctly. And I think the show was trying to point this out too. So Dying Guy's message couldn't be a *particular* date, but rather the *idea* of a stellar date. Which means... we don't have enough information yet.

I loved this episode, for what that's worth.
[User Picture]
From:the_partyman
Date:December 4th, 2008 04:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yay! Now I have discovered the awesomeness that is Chuck I get even more avlue from your post-Monday-night posts!

Evil Sensie Dixon was great! It's a shame that Ron Rifkin and Victor Garber are on ABC projects, they totally need to have the whole Alias cast guest star against the intersect!

I too was all OMG THE THEE DOTS ARE STARS HOLY CRAP!!!!! when Cameron was assesing the atrological data. Of course I am sure they will do a Lost and she won't think to share this information with the others for like.. ever.

Heroes was pretty cool this week, but ending the ep after Hiros person-snatching scene would have been a better cliffhanger imho.

I'm with you on the oddness of bennet seemingly waiting and watching before he took the shot at Sylar. Bizarre.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com