Come this fall, I really have to quit Prison Break and Smallville.
The reasons for this are numerous:
- They are the two worst shows I continue to watch. Why am I wasting hours of my life watching shows that aren't even that good? What am I really getting out of them? I've watched the first four episodes of Deadwood, and they're probably better than all of Smallville. Right?
- No one else is watching them anyway! I have embraced television as a social medium, but Prison Break and Smallville don't bring me closer to anyone since no one talks about them. Not specifically and not generally: they're not a big enough part of the cultural zeitgeist to matter.
- I don't really CARE what happens to these people anymore! I mean, I kind of do, but that's what recaplets are for. Smallville as filtered through Omar is better anyway.
- Prison Break is a problem because my Mondays are getting more and more crowded, and, after seeing an ad in Entertainment Weekly that showed me that Cobie Smulders is stupid hot, I have the urge to finally get into How I Met Your Mother.
- Smallville is a problem because my Thursdays are also crowded, even moreso with the Lost move.
- There are already a handful of new shows from writers I like (Cupid, Dollhouse, Fringe, Mythological X, The Middleman) that I'm going to want to try out, and new is fun! Everyone likes new shows!
I was able to quit Jericho and Studio 60, but those were new shows I didn't really have an investment in. Normally, I stick with shows to a fault. It's who I am.
But yesterday, I ordered a Threadless T-shirt L instead of XL! And I'm eating fish and seafood! I don't know what I'm changing into! (A MACHIIIIIIINE?!)