?

Log in

Oakland Is for Lovemakers (and Audrye Sessions, and Possibly Great Northern If They Move Here) - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

September 1st, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
08:11 pm - Oakland Is for Lovemakers (and Audrye Sessions, and Possibly Great Northern If They Move Here)
Does anyone remember my Oakland Art and Soul Festival report from last year? I thought it was one of the cleverest ideas I ever had, and no one noticed. You totally lose. And you're still not listening to the Silversun Pickups, are you? I'll have to do something about that. But later.

This year, I got harriettheelf to accompany me, which was one change. Also, they raised the price to TEN DOLLARS. Geez. Paying out the ass here. I miss the halcyon days of yesteryear, when one got in for a mere five bucks.

Rachel missed Audrye Sessions, a local band I had not actually heard or seen before but I knew was championed by Live105, as they had headlined the Local Lounge at BFD. The first song started out pretty good, and then it got to the chorus, which is when it rocked. Go here and listen to "Perfect Sometimes." Do it, dammit! Have you no faith in me? It's a really good song. I don't know how to describe rock music, dammit. Their set was musically interesting and catchy; the vocals are...Britrock-y? I DON'T KNOW. JUST LISTEN. I didn't buy the CD because it was $15, although the merch guy did say there were, like, 24 goddamn tracks on it. And now I found out it's a limited pressing. So maybe I should have gotten it. Perhaps I will get another chance.

Now, another reason I enjoyed the Audrye Sessions set is because they had a hot female bassist. Observe!



There is something ridiculously sexy about watching a woman lean back and pluck that bass. Maybe it's something about nimble fingers. When Rachel saw her, she complimented my taste in women.

Later on, I caught her at the merch table and told her they had a good set, I hadn't seen them before, etc. She asked my name and gave hers as Alicia and shook my hand. I touched her! Local bands are so personable. It turned out they lived, like, on the same street as the Lovemakers, and she also liked Honeycut. Oakland band power!

Listen to Audrye Sessions. Check out "The Paper Face"; they played that too.

Rachel and I walked apace as we grabbed lunch from Popeye's and a middle Eastern kiosk, counterrespectively. We made it back as the Lovemakers were starting their set. I had never heard of the Lovemakers before BFD, but down at Shoreline, I really enjoyed them, and I had "Shake That Ass" stuck in my head for days afterward. I thought of them as sort of Shiny Toy Guns-lite, but Rachel was reminded of the New Pornographers. They're more electronica-influenced than New Pornographers, though. The common thread for all these bands is the presence of both a male and female vocalist. The Lovemakers are very fun and dance-y (hell, they do have a song called "Dance" in addition to "We Should Be Taking Our Clothes Off"). You need to go here and listen to "Misery Loves Company." It's terribly catchy.

The set was entertaining because Lisa clearly wasn't wearing a bra, which meant her boobs bounced up and down as she jumped up and down. Also, she poured water on herself during the last song. I assure you that it was not solely to be provocative; it was also really hot. Her bandmate said his feet felt like they were on fire.

Between sets, Rachel recognized Lisa from the back from her grey pants, so we went over to say hi. We told her they had a great set, and I gave my spiel about seeing them at BFD and getting "Shake That Ass" stuck in my head. Rachel added, "It's very stick-y." As we left, a bunch of little girls came over to get her to sign stuff, including a shoe. Rachel thought it was adorable.

Before I left, I decided to pick up their first CD, Times of Romance, from the merch table. I knew it had "Shake That Ass" on it, but I was delighted to discover, upon opening it at home, that the other song I was getting stuck in my head after the set was also on it: "Set Me Free."

Listen to the Lovemakers. (Hey, I hate MySpace as much as the next guy over the age of fifteen, but I admit it's great for promoting bands.)

Rachel had to miss out on an artist that she had, like, lived in the same building with in order to see Great Northern with me. Luckily, I believe she thought it was worth it. I only knew one song by them, "Home" (if you're feeling ethical, download it for free from here), but it was a really great song. It's just gorgeous and lovely. The first two songs of the set proved that wasn't their only good song. It's sometimes hard to warm up to a band live if you don't know the songs they're playing since it's hard to hear the subtleties of everything like you could hear on a studio track, but there are certain moments that just get you (the chorus of "Perfect Sometimes," as I described earlier, for instance) and make you pay attention to this band. Go here and listen to "Telling Lies." The chorus there had a similar effect. The female vocalist has a lovely voice, and the male vocalist provides a good harmony (he didn't sound as good live). The music is kind of light and mellow rock with a touch of synth. Just listen.

The live version of "Home" was a little different, with the guy doing a different note on the "high" and, rather than just the woman singing the chorus, it was both of them harmonizing on "it's something less than a holiday" (which had slightly different notes), and it was really really cool. I want them to record a live version, too.

The set was entertaining because during one song, the female vocalist was also drumming with what looked like a makeshift drumstick held together with red tape. And it broke in about five seconds. Someone brought her a regular drumstick, but it wasn't as effective. In addition, Great Northern was also blessed with a hot female bassist. Observe the dark-haired woman next to the redhead:



Rachel was quite enamored with her. I did not get to talk to her or touch her, though. (Here is a better picture.)

Awesomely, after the set, there were dozens of people asking about Great Northern merch; Rachel and I weren't the only ones who were impressed. Unfortunately, they weren't selling CDs for some reason, so I ordered it from Amazon when I got home.

Listen to Great Northern. Check out "The Middle."

Next up was Army of Me, who Rachel described as "angsty music for white boys" and "like bad Green Day." I didn't think they sounded anything like Green Day, and I didn't think they were bad, but they were just mediocre. The song they played on the radio was decent. They namechecked Katrina before playing a song about hope called "Rise." They played a cover of a song by "a band called Oasis," so described because, oh my God, these kids may not actually know who Oasis are. I am so old.

Because I don't actually care about Army of Me, I offer you downloads of "Apocalypse Please" by Muse and "Monster Hospital" by Metric, which are both better than anything Army of Me will ever produce.

Then came Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, who seem to be quite popular in the indie rock scene. Since the only song I know is "Biomusicology," I was surprised by how damn loud they were. Rachel thought the lead singer (Ted Leo, I presume?) had an interesting voice, but it wasn't really my thing.

Rachel pointed out Indian people to me. They exist! With good taste in music!

We skipped out on Against Me! because I didn't really care for the song they had on the radio, and I knew Rachel wouldn't like them anyway. Here, have the post-grunge alt-metal stylings of "City Beneath" by Revis instead.

On my BART ride home, I shared a train with an Indian girl (Berkeley student, probably too young for me) who had watched seasons 1 and 2 of The Office "like thirty times." They exist! With good taste in television!

Hope you all enjoy the music I have provided for you today. If you don't, you are wrong.
Current Mood: hungryhungry
Current Music: The Dresden Dolls - Necessary Evil

(20 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:latropita
Date:September 2nd, 2007 03:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
And you're still not listening to the Silversun Pickups, are you?
I am! And will check out the links later. Thanks!
[User Picture]
From:sophia_helix
Date:September 2nd, 2007 05:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
OMG, Hot Girl Bassist #2 has exactly the hair I want. Maybe even that dark. I am saving and bringing the picture into a stylist to see if I can convince them to do something with my curly hair besides either blowdrying it straight or trying to put in a bunch of crappy layers and crunchy product.

(I fell in love with the current bassist for Electrelane at the Arcade Fire I saw in June -- all I can say is that she looked kind of like a female version of the young Snape in my head, dark hair in her face and a big nose, and she kept drinking beer through the whole set. Be still, my heart.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 2nd, 2007 05:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
Did you see this picture? Her hair is even better there.

Female Snape, huh? Hm.
[User Picture]
From:sophia_helix
Date:September 2nd, 2007 05:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think I want the asymmetry, but the longer length is just the kind of A-line bob I've wanted for years. Bonus for being able to pin it up despite the short length because the front bits will actually tuck back.

(Check it. Hit the About Us page and look at her square picture in the bottom right-hand corner of the menu, and then tell me I'm weird because I have a thing for people with big noses and thin faces and dark hair. Also go to the Gallery and scroll down for a hawt picture of her playing bass.)

(I did see her and Verity in the parking lot after the show and ran up to tell them they rocked, but I was destroyed and dehydrated after AF so I think I just kind of babbled and then disappeared, it's hard to remember. All I know was that I did not end up on their tour bus, alas.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 2nd, 2007 05:57 am (UTC)
(Link)
...you're weird. Heh. Not my type.

I don't think the GN bassist's hair is actually asymmetric; it just looks that way because she's got it tucked back on either side in both picture. It looked nice and symmetric today.
[User Picture]
From:glasseseater
Date:September 2nd, 2007 06:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sean listens to the Silversun Pickups, does that count?

Sean totally has an Army of Me sticker on his bass! Of course, as everyone knows, they were totally better when they were called Cactus Patch. Also it's illegal for any local band from the Maryland/DC area to not be a really lame version of Green Day or Sublime.

Hooray Muse!

You totally should have married the girl on the train. Or had sex with her.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 2nd, 2007 06:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sean listens to the Silversun Pickups, does that count?
No.

Also it's illegal for any local band from the Maryland/DC area to not be a really lame version of Green Day or Sublime.
Hee. Why? Green Day is from HERE. And Sublime is from...somewhere in California as well.

Hooray Muse!
Hooray!

You totally should have married the girl on the train.
Hee.

Or had sex with her.
Ho.
[User Picture]
From:glasseseater
Date:September 2nd, 2007 07:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
What if I listen to them in his car?

Hee. Why? Green Day is from HERE. And Sublime is from...somewhere in California as well.

I don't know. All I know is I listened to a lot of bad music in high school.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 2nd, 2007 07:10 am (UTC)
(Link)
What if I listen to them in his car?
Maybe.
[User Picture]
From:miniglik
Date:September 2nd, 2007 11:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ohhhhhh. It looks like it was so fun.

They played a cover of a song by "a band called Oasis," so described because, oh my God, these kids may not actually know who Oasis are. I am so old.



Now I feel old too.

On my BART ride home, I shared a train with an Indian girl (Berkeley student, probably too young for me) who had watched seasons 1 and 2 of The Office "like thirty times." They exist! With good taste in television!



How would a Berkeley student be too young for you? Child prodigy? You're not THAT old, man.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 2nd, 2007 05:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
She looked like she was probably a freshman. Like eighteen or nineteen.
From:metabeta
Date:September 2nd, 2007 08:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Against Me! is currently ruling my Shuffle with a golden fist of rawk. They weren't for me at first and then they totally were and they had ahold of my hair and were making me bang. my. head.

Also, I'm glad that you like Muse or we'd have to make you like Muse. We have ways. We have the technology.
[User Picture]
From:harlemcabaret_
Date:September 3rd, 2007 04:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
fantastic music selection. and damn, did i want to go to the festival! :(
[User Picture]
From:harlemcabaret_
Date:September 3rd, 2007 04:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
whoops! this was actually supposed to go to the post on the audiography community. i suppose it's just the same, but now i feel like a creeper.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 3rd, 2007 04:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
No, it's cool! Comments on this post are welcome. The Oakland Art and Soul Festival is good fun. You should go next year. I'm sure the lineup will be just as good.
[User Picture]
From:tophatter2
Date:September 3rd, 2007 05:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
  1. I'm digging the Great Northern and the Lovemakers.
  2. Yeah, Ted Leo is loud, especially on the new album. It's more abrasive than I expected.
  3. No band called "Army of Me" should sound like Green Day, and I don't even think it should be a band of guys. It's not really in the spirit of Bjork.
  4. The Ponys have a female bassist who isn't really that good-looking, but if she's hot if you catch her at the right time. Big sunglasses and a filmy dress really work for her.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 3rd, 2007 05:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
1. Yay!
2. I thought he was far more Spoon-like. Mellow and stuff.
3. Heh.
4. Ah, yes. Silversun Pickups also have a fairly attractive female bassist.
[User Picture]
From:darlingviolenta
Date:September 3rd, 2007 08:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
While Against Me!'s latest album is the complete suck (okay, it's only half suck, and half okay--but there is nothing on it that I would call great, even though I listened to the track that Tegan Quin guests on for like a day straight), their older albums are the complete rock (although I had to give Searching for a Former Clarity a number of listens before it grew on me, as that was when they started abandoning punk and going more for the straight-up rock--not that there is anything wrong with straight-up rock, of course; it just didn't sound right coming from them at the time).

Is the song that's currently on the radio "Thrash Unreal"? Because that's their second-worst song ever and you shouldn't judge their whole repertoire by it. Oh my god, I hate that song. Hate it so, so much.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 3rd, 2007 08:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes, that is the song. And oh my God, I can barely tolerate it.

Tegan guested on a song by them?? Huh.
From:(Anonymous)
Date:April 12th, 2008 03:03 pm (UTC)

Bassist

(Link)
Agree on a bassist commet:)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com