?

Log in

No account? Create an account
The Haitian Sensation That's Sweeping the Nation - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

January 23rd, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:13 am - The Haitian Sensation That's Sweeping the Nation
First of all, Supernatural fans are REQUIRED to watch this brilliant, hilarious fanvid (link courtesy of bellanut (NO THANKS TO zimshan!)): The Supernatural Menace.

Second of all, for Office fans, courtesy of hobviously, here is Rashida Jones being really pretty.

Monday night TV is back in business!!

Prison Break

It occurs to me that this is a show about bad people. Like, there is hardly a single character on this show who is not a Very Bad Person. It seems to portray a wanton lack of morality that's sort of unsettling to watch.

WHERE IS MY PRETTY DOCTOR?

Heroes

Welcome back, show!! AM I ON THE LIST?!

I was about to complain that they stopped doing the cool title thing, and then it hilariously zoomed along with the opening cell door. So, I totally don't even remember why Niki's in jail, but I guess she turned herself in. I'm one of the few Niki/Jessica fans out there, but her storyline was a little blah this episode, even though Ali Larter continues to be impressive as she goes full-scale Gollum. I don't understand why she's not getting kudos; it's amazing the way her entire face just changes subtly. You can tell just by looking that she's become Jessica.

So the Ubiquitous Symbol of Magical Significance (a.k.a. Magical Symbol of Swirly Doom) is a combination of the ancient Chinese characters for "Great talent" and "Godsend," huh? Very clever! It gels with the Haitian's assertion that these are gifts from God, which I really liked, actually, not because I'm religious but because I don't think religion and science have to be mutually exclusive if you don't want them to be. I wonder why Hiro's powers have been declining, though. That's odd. And he went to such trouble to get this crazy sword! And...pose in front of a dinosaur. I didn't get until reading posts afterward that that's what Isaac painted, and while I must say I'm disappointed that Hiro doesn't actually fight a fucking dinosaur (SIGH), I suppose this way makes much more sense. And the Linderman connection continues! Jesus Christ. Is he related to Alvar Hanso?

Okay, so, world? This is Claire.

THIS IS ME HEARTING CLAIRE.

Any questions?

I love her so much. The way she tried to reconnect with Zach, the way she recreated the way she got him to trust her initially, the way she remembered his initial reactions. "As far as you know, this was Attempt No. 1" made me tear up a little. I love how much she's fucking grown from when we first met her. I know I loved her initially because she was all, "OMG, having powers SUCKS!" But I love her even more now that she's come to terms with her powers, because watching a character reclaim his or her identity is about one of my favorite things to see ever. And now she's got extra intrigue in her life with her alliance with the Haitian; I can't wait to see what comes of that. Hayden Panetierre was fantastic tonight. Radiant, even.

Blah blah blah Matt and his wife. Though, honestly, how the hell did the FBI not find the INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS-LOOKING CODE-ACCESS METAL DOOR in the hallway? It's clearly not in some restricted area; fucking Claire was walking around right by it.

Simone and Isaac and Hiro and Ando and Nathan ALL IN THE SAME ROOM! Oh man, the hijinks! "Flying Man!!" (I totally forgot until now that Hiro and Nathan had actually met a while back, and he had seen him fly and all that. So much happens in this show!)

"Woooosh!"
"Could you keep it down?"
"Wooooosh."

This is me hearting Hiro. (Sorry, Hiro, but as Claire is a cute little blonde girl, I am lawfully required to heart her more than you.)

When did Simone stop sucking? That was sudden.

The long-awaited Christopher Eccleston! And he's invisible! What fun. Odd that Peter can see him, but perhaps not so odd given that Peter also remained unfrozen when Future Hiro came to contact him. Maybe his ability to absorb other people's powers (and he did become invisible as soon as Claude grabbed him) also makes him immune to them, which would have to mean, then, that Claude isn't actually invisible; he just affects other people's vision so that they don't see him. I have no blinkin' clue how he's supposed to help Peter, but it should be fun. Why the hell is he laughing in the apocalyptic vision? He freaks me out.

And Mohinder, despite his ponderous voiceover, doesn't suck in this episode either! So Eden's real name was Sarah Ellis,eh? I totally forgot that Mohinder's so out of the loop he doesn't even know Eden had powers. Interesting that her body ended up in frickin' ONTARIO. Those guys are thorough. Scary. And then he meets Mr. Bennet (I'm sorry, guys, I can't get behind his "official" name of Horn-Rimmed Glasses, or HRG). And they should definitely work together! Because...I don't know, it would make the plot move faster, I suppose. I want to see who's on the damn list! Mr. Bennet has RESOURCES, dammit. Even though he has highers-up he reports to, ones who don't want Sylar dead. It's kind of weird that they were able to isolate the telekinesis gene because that wasn't his original power, just the first one he stole. Or maybe they'd already studied a telekinetic before and they knew what they were looking for.

Regardless, the important thing here is that Mr. Bennet gives Mohinder a business card. For Primatech Paper Company. If you try to apply for a job, you need the access code. If you call the phone number, you can get the access code. And then you can apply for a job. And you can get e-mails and text messages from Primatech, and I have missed this crazy shit. Nothing will ever top The Beast, obviously, and this may turn out to be incredibly lame overall, but there is just this irrational coolness factor in getting texts from Primatech. Even though it costs me ten cents to send and receive text messages, this is fun.
You'll be hearing from me again soon. We have a lot to do together.


Studio 60

Look, I have a pretty high tolerance for grand romantic gestures. I was ready to maybe write off the way excessive phone calls as cute. I was ready to maybe write off the ridiculous faxed recommendations as amusing. But when the woman you're pursuing tells you no for about the seventeenth time, tells you that you are embarrassing her, and kindly asks you to stop, the answer is NOT "No." You better shape the fuck up, Danny Tripp, because I was really fucking liking you before you started creeping me out. I do hope that's the reaction we're supposed to have, because saying no shows a total lack of respect for Jordan. You say yes, Danny, and you wait. You wait for another opportunity, find another way, or something, but you stop harassing her for the time being before she never speaks to you again and files a restraining order.

Everything else was mostly good. I wish I had thousands of dollars to throw at charity to spite someone. The Darius/Simon storyline was weirdly jarring and made me think about the fact that I suppose this country will never, ever, ever live the slavery thing down. Or Sorkin doesn't think we should, or something. I know he's very much into his Issues, and at times, it threatens to overpower the story, but he's got good characters now, and they try not to let the Issues take over the show. I still love Jordan, and Jack continues to be pretty awesome, which is not something I would have guessed I would be saying after the first few episodes. I thought the 48 Rules for People Who Have Never Heard of Machiavelli tie-in to Jordan's story was pretty clever.

Jordan's appetite still hasn't stopped being funny.
Current Mood: curiousrabbit holed
Current Music: 386 DX - Smells Like Teen Spirit

(71 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:squaringkarma
Date:January 23rd, 2007 10:15 am (UTC)
(Link)
See, in this episode, I was back to hating Claire again. Whiny as ever OMG. BUT! Yes, I did love her reconnecting with Zach. Platonic, schatonic.

And THAT'S what HRG stands for? Horn-Rimmed Glasses? I always wondered why he was called HRG.

That Primatech thing is awesome.
[User Picture]
From:missquita
Date:January 23rd, 2007 10:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Since Peter absorbs powers, he was invisible, too. When they showed the regular guys on the street and the stand getting knocked over, you couldn't see the invisible man or Peter. Is he invisible only when the other guy touches him or all the time?

The Flying Man moment was my favorite! It was my away message when I went to bed. I LOVE HIRO SO MUCH.

And I agree about Claire. And I am way over Matt. And I enjoyed the Niki/Jessica tonight because, though not much action, we got to see so much interplay between the characters, and Ali Larter is just freaking incredible. And next week -- Micah's power, yay!
From:hobviously
Date:January 23rd, 2007 10:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Totally random, but who is "this boy" in your icon? His back-of-head looks familiar to me.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 03:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We hate everyone not from America!

The code is mt36.
[User Picture]
From:orangesky33
Date:January 23rd, 2007 01:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And...pose in front of a dinosaur. I didn't get until reading posts afterward that that's what Isaac painted, and while I must say I'm disappointed that Hiro doesn't actually fight a fucking dinosaur (SIGH), I suppose this way makes much more sense.

Well, nothing beats fighting A FUCKING REAL LIFE DINOSAUR. But yes, making sense is, I suppose (SIGH),nice and I liked that it did tie into the sword stealing stuff. Good fun.

So much MOTHERFUCKING WORD regarding everything Claire! I never minded her OMG POWERS SUCK either because Hayden Panetierre played her consciousness and fear so well, But she was "radiant" last night with the power accepting. I spent the entirity of the video scene between squee and misty. I love my little indestructable cheerleader so much OMG.

Christopher Eccleston! Whee! Though, his laughing was,indeed, fucking creepy.

Mohinder was less annoying last night. Though his voice overs are still annoying, and he says "Los Angeles" is the most pretenious way ever.

OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW.



(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:saestina
Date:January 23rd, 2007 01:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I seriously think there would be less actual stalkers in the world if movies and television didn't teach guys from a young age that persistence will always get you the girl. Yes, I think Say Anything is a sweet and romantic movie. But in real life, if a guy I broke up with stood outside my window blaring the song that we first had sex to because I wouldn't talk to him anymore? I would call the cops.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heroes was really fun wasn't it? I agree with everything you wrote about this. Hiro was so amazing with the little whoosh. Which he did lower. Bwah! But, but, but . . . . I want him to fight a dinosaur. Bummer. Still, loved the gathering of the heroes and Flying Man. Hee!

I agree that Ali is doing a great job. I caught a piece of Final Destination over the weekend and I focused on her facials more and she does a lot with her eyes. But I'm really bored with the jail storyline, though I gather Micah is going to reveal his powers and bust out Mom? Or that was the impression I was getting from Micah's anguished face. She obviously needs to get out.

Matt - I don't care. I want to care. I don't. Someone start writing Greg a better storyline.

Awwww for Claire redoing the memories. Awwwww.

Loved the constant playback of the explosion and more than loved the invisible man reveal. I knew he was coming but I kind of forgot he was invisible (I think EW or TV guide had written something and inadvertently spoiled me about this)so that was way cool. But shouldn't those diners have noticed their wallets floating in the air?

So fun to have the show back.

I too got a stalker vibe from Danny. And I was so proud of Sorkin for wrapping this romance up so quickly. It started, it flounedered, it's over - only whoops! Not so much.

Jordan's pickup on being played was sweet. And Jack does keep bringing the awesome.

Poor Lucy.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree that Ali is doing a great job.
Yay! And you should know.

But shouldn't those diners have noticed their wallets floating in the air?
Well, they were surrounded by a Someone Else's Problem field.

I was spoiled about his invisibility too, but I thought he could TURN invisible; I didn't realize he was ALWAYS invisible.

Poor Lucy. She'll understand! There are other Thursdays!
[User Picture]
From:redflora
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Apropos of nothing, since I haven't had a chance to watch last night's Heroes yet (although I'm very excited to, after reading your post) - I just felt like I wanted to share that I just got my brother the box set of Avatar... with specific instructions that I be the first to borrow them the SECOND he has watched. And a reminder that I am the coolest sister ever. (Which is also on a t-shirt, in case he forgets.)

I also just got Season 1 of Bones, and Season 2 of the Office (still have to start Season 1, but I trust the flist) - heard anything about Bones?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wooooo for Avatar and The Office! I've heard Bones is all right; you might love it, who knows.
[User Picture]
From:raelee
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It seems to portray a wanton lack of morality that's sort of unsettling to watch.

I concur. I think it is possibly getting to be too much. I need at least one Good Person lest I think there is no hope. Plus, they actually killed him... how are we supposed to believe that there is any way to get out of this now? Not that there ever really was but, as long as he was alive, there was the possibility that the truth could be revealed.

I want Sara back. I hope she's paying attention to the news so she can track where they are.

And the Linderman connection continues!

I liked finding out that he buys any Issac painting he can get his hands on... I don't think he's in charge of HRG and Primatech because it would make no sense that Linderman's people didn't know where Nathan had disappeared to during the Vegas trip. However, it's clear that he knows about people's powers and is mixed up in this whole thing. It intrigues me because we know he has some history with Nathan and Peter's dad... I want to see Linderman!

Maybe his ability to absorb other people's powers (and he did become invisible as soon as Claude grabbed him) also makes him immune to them, which would have to mean, then, that Claude isn't actually invisible; he just affects other people's vision so that they don't see him.

But, if that's true, it must be something that happens... uh, I'm not sure of the word... instinctually? Because Peter doesn't have time to learn how to use that power - he just immediately becomes invisible. Could it be the other way around? Like some kind of invisibility cloaking power meaning that he'd actually have to concentrate on people seeing him? We don't know when, exactly, Peter became invisible to those around him (unless I missed something in the scene that gave away that people could see Peter after he saw Mr. Invisiblity). I'm thinking too much about this, aren't I?

Though, honestly, how the hell did the FBI not find the INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS-LOOKING CODE-ACCESS METAL DOOR in the hallway?

Don't forget, the Haitian has the power to stop Matt from reading HRG's mind when he's around so I'm betting he has some part to play in the FBI not finding the door. I'm sure he could make people forget that they were thinking about looking behind the door or something? Or who knows what other people with powers are in the company walls, controlling the FBIs' minds so that they won't find the hidden section of the building?

Man... I'm so happy to have this show back! I've missed it and talking to everyone about it.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Plus, they actually killed him... how are we supposed to believe that there is any way to get out of this now?
Yeah, I mean...I know the writers seem to REVEL in fucking up Michael's plans, but Kellerman was pretty proud of how very little proof they had left behind, and...there's nothing now, unless they can somehow get the fucking President to admit everything, which WHAT?

Don't forget, the Haitian has the power to stop Matt from reading HRG's mind when he's around so I'm betting he has some part to play in the FBI not finding the door.
Oooh, very good point.
[User Picture]
From:r_a_l_i_g_h
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Simone and Isaac and Hiro and Ando and Nathan ALL IN THE SAME ROOM! Oh man, the hijinks! "Flying Man!!"

No, no, it was "FRYING MON!!!" which is even more awesome.

And then Nathan was complimenting him on his improved English (and interested in his love life?) and helping him with pronunciatiion! and THEN there was all the "WHOOSH!"/"WHOOSH!" business and it was simply delightful.

I guess we weren't the only ones who loved the Nathan-Hiro scenes in ... which ever episode it was.



Also, am I the only one who thought that MAYBE the great Samuri warrior of the past who had the mystical sword with The Symbol and powers that needed "focusing" just might actually be HIRO, himself? I mean, he can travel through time and space, right?
[User Picture]
From:r_a_l_i_g_h
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ack! Samurai.

Lj needs a comment-edit feature in the worse way.
[User Picture]
From:pandora_17
Date:January 23rd, 2007 02:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I missed Heroes last night and I still haven't seen the last Office. I am lame. (Did I just see the word dinosaur? Tell me there are going to be dinosaurs! HELL YES.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
There are dinosaurs...in a museum.
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:January 23rd, 2007 03:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Studio 60, which has never particularly made it on my good side, is just starting to blatantly piss me off. The only storyline I give one half of a good goddamn about is the FCC one, and only because (surprise, surprise!) the story is actually applicable both within and without the construct of the show. But I'm supposed to root for Danny when he is acting like a 12 year old? Am I supposed to swoon at Matt because he foolishly and stupidly acts like a toddler whose favorite toy was taken away? I am used to Sorkin being sort of a sexist, racist jerk, but this is getting to be a bit much. Jesus, no wonder Kristen Chenowith dumped his ass.

In other news, though, I disagree with you about PB. Morally bankrupt does not always equal bad, and vice versa. That could just be my fierce love of T-Bag, though.

"WHOOSH!"
[User Picture]
From:cran
Date:January 23rd, 2007 03:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And now she's got extra intrigue in her life with her alliance with the Haitian; I can't wait to see what comes of that.

I know (some of it)! And it's great. Bryan's next episode is 17 and it's going to be different and awesome and have so much Claire in it... I predict right now that you'll love it.

(Also, Pushing Daisies is greenlit and they're shooting a pilot soon, whee!)

A friend and I were discussing the invisible guy, and we figured he could make anything he touches invisible (or just make it so people can't see it), which is why you don't see his clothes floating down the street, or the wallets or cell phones he picks up floating in midair. And I guess Peter absorbs powers without even trying (and yeah, is probably immune to their effects if someone tries to use them against him -- remember Matt and the mind-reading), so he became invisible, too.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:06 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I know (some of it)! And it's great. Bryan's next episode is 17 and it's going to be different and awesome and have so much Claire in it... I predict right now that you'll love it.
Yaaaay!!

(Also, Pushing Daisies is greenlit and they're shooting a pilot soon, whee!)
Sweeeet! What network is that for, again?
[User Picture]
From:kammgirl
Date:January 23rd, 2007 03:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love Zach and Claire. They truly are wonderful BFFs and I could really ship them. When Claire told the Haitian I don't want to be alone I got a lump in my throat. I also love DL, Nikki and Micah. And everyone in Isaac's studio was great. I also love the connection between Peter and Nathan. I love familial bonds. And would you think less of me if I fangirled over seeing Christopher Eccelston?
[User Picture]
From:silentsiren47
Date:January 23rd, 2007 03:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Like, there is hardly a single character on this show who is not a Very Bad Person.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a "Bad Person." I feel like a major part of the show is asking, "Which is more meaningful, actions or motives?" What's more moral, doing the right thing, or doing the wrong thing for the right reasons?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:08 pm (UTC)
(Link)
No, I totally agree on that, as I said in an earlier post. It's just getting to be a bit much at times, which is odd, because I loved Oz. Maybe I don't expect to see things this dire on network TV.
[User Picture]
From:thekateyouknow
Date:January 23rd, 2007 04:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love Zach and Claire. And Hiro and Nathan. I still think Mohinder sucks the life out of the show though. I mostly want him to start working with Mr. Bennet so that he might die faster. The guy is a seriously bad overacter.

You know, I didn't even watch Studio 60 last night. I like the show, but I don't get why they're rushing into these romances so quickly. And the promos are so lame. "And we...held our breath." Come on. No we did not. We barely know these people yet! I have it on my dvr, I think I'll save it for the weekend.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com