?

Log in

Many of Them Are Just...Asian - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

April 12th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
02:04 am - Many of Them Are Just...Asian
Two matters of pimping before the weekly episode post:

Don't you love the characters on VM? Don't you love blogs? Don't you wish the characters on VM had blogs? Then head over to vm_blog and help the fandom recruit new viewers by combining the power of blogs with the voices of our favorite characters. But spadada has already given me Mr. Wu, so step off, whores.

Don't you love VM? Don't you love podcasts? Don't you wish VM had a podcast? Then check out Neptune Pirate Radio and help the fandom recruit new viewers by combining the power of podcasts with the voices of...some enterprising fans with technological know-how. They're already big in Brazil, folks. Seriously, the first episode is very enjoyable, and I think it will get even better in the future.

That was one cracktastic episode.

Let me make the obligatory, obvious complaint first, however: episode 18 is way too fucking late to be learning about the goddamn bus crash victims. It's way too fucking late for Veronica to suddenly begin being "haunted" by their deaths. This should have been, like, episode 3. I was more of a fan of the first half of the season than some fans, but now that I see the things they've been keeping in their pockets, I'm wishing they'd done a lot of things differently. The audience was supposed to care about the bus crash because Meg was in a coma, but that whole idea was mishandled, and we got a few names here and there, which was cool for a while, but these are the victims, here. These are the kids whose deaths we're supposed to be interested in, the people someone was apparently trying to kill. We should have met them before now. I am sure there are people (like, for instance, Rob) who could make a compelling case for doing it this way, but I think the decision to keep this from us for so long was made before the first half of the season didn't engage the fans as much as Rob thought it would, so there's not much he can do about it now.

That being said, damn. I'm not even sure what to make of all we learned in this episode.

Ms. James! How the hell had we not heard she was coming back? Nice shout-out in the last episode, then, to remind us that she's theoretically still alive. Some people don't buy that Veronica would be so forthcoming to her about the dreams, and...yeah, that's probably true, but Veronica's tone suggests she's not as personally torn up as she was about Lilly, which, duh, we've seen that. The guilt she feels about these dead kids seems like more of a bother than anything else, so she's happy to spill to someone. This episode is about Veronica working out the bus crash mystery in her head, and that's what counselors are there for: they allow you a sounding board so that you can solve your own problems in such a way that you think you actually had some help. Also, a place to make hilarious, finger-snapping "These are the jokes" jokes.

But hold up, hold up. Let's save the important bus crash stuff for the end, as usual. B and C plots, coming right up.

The long-awaited Wallace/Logan subplot is here! Not just one scene, but four or five! And Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is back! Except I don't understand why it's playing the same cutscene we saw before, though there was another one right before it. Is there some sort of Oddworld animated series I don't know about? And did the episode come in short or something? Why spend an entire minute on the same part of the Tinseltown Diaries we've already seen? Was that just for Wallace to feel sympathy for Logan? Oh, poor Logan, he does a bunch of ass-y things and gets burned for it. I was amused, though, that Wallace and Logan have apparently never interacted since the pilot.

Also: "Have you met my fluffer?" Honestly, Standards and Practices just doesn't care anymore. The writers barely have to try.

Okay, one thing I like about this episode that's making it hard to write about is that all the plots were interconnected more strongly than they've been in a while. Characters keep crossing plotlines. I think that's a Diane thing.

And speaking of Diane, how funny is that her last outing was an insanely complicated MOTW, and this week she gives us a very straightforward lack-of-mystery Keith plot? It's like she used up all her twists and turns and needed a break. But it was a fun little diversion and so worth it for the moment he discovers Veronica in the closet and CAN NEVER TRUST HER AGA—oh, whatever. At least Angie got her comeuppance. And the Crime and Punishment test is a shout-out to me because I love that book. (I'm kidding, by the way.)

Blue flashbacks! The interruption of the Logan/Veronica makeout was great. It's cool that they're actually acknowledging that they, you know, used to date. And are we to assume that Lucky helped set the community pool on fire? I'm now forgetting why he was brought up at all. Oh, right, Meg's e-mails.

I loved the visual style of the dreams, the dull colors and scratchy film and general underwater feel. Plus, the world was inside the bus; nothing through the windows looked the least bit real. Then you have the characters wearing awesomely appropriate shirts like "I [heart] Dick Casablancas" and "Baby on Board." Finally, I've always been a fan of the conceit where characters double as another character's subconscious. We see the bus crash victims as Veronica perceives them, and they steer her in directions she wouldn't normally go if she simply thought in her typically linear fashion.

Well, they're also a device to bring the audience up to speed with what Veronica knows. "You already know this because you've read my e-mails." Ouch, did you have to be so obvious about the exposition? I mean, it was in-character with bitchy, pre-crash Meg (MEG!!), but still. Then there was this other message from Rhonda, and how the fuck long has Veronica known about that? I wonder if that whole Betina thing will go anywhere (and Jesus Christ, Dick, you want to fuck someone with the same name as your mom?). There was an act-out on the fact that she wanted to get pregnant, and then...nothing.

Wonder how Wallace knew Rhonda and Natalie? And Natalie looked freakily like Meg at first, but actually she looked like a combination of Meg and Lizzie. I wonder how the finger-in-the-burger plays into it all (and, again, nice job setting up Woody's Burgers in the last episode). The lawsuit seems unconnected to the bus crash.

Did Veronica talk to Marcos at all? I don't recall their having a meaningful interaction, so much, but he was omnipresent due to the Ahoy, Mateys! show, which was a nice touch.

Ah, Peter Ferrer and his yellow fever. Heh. Mr. Wu fucking rocked tonight. His "Many of them are just...Asian" made me laugh myself half-upright. Also, I loved the conversation between Peter and Veronica about how she shouldn't presume to know him from his Internet postings—and did Veronica totally tell Ms. James the goddamn URL for the super-secret gay messageboard? What the hell?—because, well, I know the feeling. And he makes a good point at the end: why was he on the bus at all? Who is "the outing of all outings"? Woody? Terrence? (Props to those who clung to that line as important.)

I'm not sure whether it's lame that the entire episode was just a big shout-out to the Wannabes, but I think it's funny that Amazon doesn't even have the cover. I do have a new suspect for the bus crash now, though: Jennings Crawford.

So, Cervando. I finally get to meet my man Cervando. And it turns out he has THREE FUCKING LAST NAMES.

In "Driver Ed," the article names him Cervando Perez.

Michelle's poster of victims calls him Cervando Esparza.

Veronica in her goddamn dialogue says, "Cervando Luna."

I must say, the real Cervando kind of disappointed me. Bragging about a pair of new jeans? This is not my mysterious murderer of Felix! And...I don't think he is so much, now. They didn't drop any sort of hints, and this would be the opportunity. Unfortunately for me, I think they really did mean for last week to close that case so we could focus on the bus crash.

I liked dream Cervando much better. The one who draws on bus windows and tells Veronica what many people had already figured out: whoever set off the bomb had to be able to see the position of the bus to make sure it would go off the cliff. Because Veronica's always suspicious of Weevil (on even-numbered days; on odd-numbered days, she's suspicious of Logan), Cervando suggests him, but the audience knows better: it's the people in the limo we should be paying attention to. (Speaking of the limo: Big Dick arranged the limo for Dick and Beaver, so the notion that he was planning to kill them for insurance money is ludicrous. Kendall, however...)

That I AM GOD chalkboard freakout was pretty cool, and damn, how much freakier would it have been if Veronica had actually done that in class?

The ending gave me chills for no conceivable reason. It got a visceral reaction by putting the audience in the bus at the time of the crash. A lovely zoom to Rhonda leaving the phone message for Michelle, the message we heard so many episodes ago. The incessant ringing of the cell phone someone called to trigger the bomb. The bus, falling, falling.

And if the fall doesn't kill you, you get to drown.
Current Mood: thoughtfulthoughtful
Current Music: Postal Service - This Place Is a Prison

(49 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


From:babsonite
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks so much for pimping vm_blog P-C!!!!

Wonder how Wallace knew Rhonda and Natalie?
He said that they were always in trouble with Clemmons, and he was an office aid last year, so he saw them a lot.

You give good analysis post.
[User Picture]
From:cerulgalactus
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
Mr Wu? From Deadwood? Cool. Hehehhehehe.
[User Picture]
From:bello_sogno
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
Did Veronica talk to Marcos at all?
I think he was the last person she spoke to, the one who drew the picture.

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
I thought that was Peter.
[User Picture]
From:sadiekate
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm glad I can count on you to give good analysis. All I've got in my lj is, "My brain hurts!" and lots of semi-ashamed squeeing.
[User Picture]
From:thetheatremouse
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
You're so good, man. So good.

I'm not sure whether it's lame that the entire episode was just a big shout-out to the Wannabes
They had me totally overthinking it all week (as I do) because, Ooooh, the Rat saw G-d, and whoever blew up the bus put the rat there; so, ooooh whoever the rat saw putting himself (the rat's self) on the bus is the culprit; so, ooooh that must be this G-d to which the title refers.

Yeah, I need to chill. I know.
From:mangopickle
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
Loved tonight's episode. And how frustrating was the fact that the gay kid on the bus never outright said that Woody was the "outing of all outings" he was on the bus for -- but that they never actually said so in the episode!? Seriously this week and last week have tied everything together very nicely and I'm excited for the conclusion. Rob & co. deserve some major props for withstanding the trials of such a dense plot amid pre-emptions up the wazoo (they should seriously give this show a non-stop treatmeant like 24 because the suspense is so dire.)
[User Picture]
From:truemyth
Date:April 12th, 2006 08:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
Then there was this other message from Rhonda, and how the fuck long has Veronica known about that?

I need to watch again but I was pretty sure the Veronica told Ms. James that she heard the second message three days ago, after she talked to Michelle in front on the pictures, and it was hearing it that triggered the nightmares. I'm also assuming that it was soon after that that Veronica went onto the bus. I have to say, if we're supposed to think Veronica investigated the bus sometime before she heard that message - and therefore sometime earlier in the season with no mention - I feel cheated. But I do think it's pretty clear that her sudden need to know kicked in when she started having the creepy dreams.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I think you're right about when she heard the messge, and it makes sense that it would kick off the dreams, but it still feels contrived. This could have easily happened a long time ago.
[User Picture]
From:snoopypez
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
The ending gave me chills for no conceivable reason. It got a visceral reaction by putting the audience in the bus at the time of the crash. A lovely zoom to Rhonda leaving the phone message for Michelle, the message we heard so many episodes ago. The incessant ringing of the cell phone someone called to trigger the bomb. The bus, falling, falling.

And if the fall doesn't kill you, you get to drown.


That is so perfect. Your post is so insightful and smart, as they all are, while I sit over here with me "Hee! Gay jokes!" crap. ;P
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:April 12th, 2006 11:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ditto on the loving of the style of the bus dreams. Meg's "Baby on Board" shirt made me giggle like mad. I loved that the bus's... um, atmosphere, I guess? changed with each victim.

See, I hadn't seen the "Tinseltown Diaries" clip in the other episode, so it was new and evilly funny to me, and I can forgive the repetition for the great moment between Logan and Wallace, with Logan trying to be flippant and Wallace making the "Wow, that sucks" face but not turning it off.

The interruption of the Logan/Veronica makeout was great
Glee. Pure glee from me over here. I almost missed the rest of the dialogue in that scene because I was giggling so much.

I finally get to meet my man Cervando. And it turns out he has THREE FUCKING LAST NAMES.
Oh my God THERE ARE THREE CERVANDOS. HE'S A CLONE! Hee.

I was really frustrated by the end at first, I think mostly because I wanted the episode to just never stop. It was jarring, that's for sure, and I definitely like it more in retrospect.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hee. I'm glad you're enjoying the show.
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:April 12th, 2006 11:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm glad I am, too! ::grin::
[User Picture]
From:jammer77
Date:April 12th, 2006 12:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wow, that was a jam-packed episode. I was wondering what the significance of the jeans is, but, as you say, it seems the Felix plot is wrapped up.
[User Picture]
From:beardoggx
Date:April 12th, 2006 12:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I left some comments about the episode on my LJ, should anyone want to.

=Let me make the obligatory, obvious complaint first, however: episode 18 is way too fucking late to be learning about the goddamn bus crash victims. It's way too fucking late for Veronica to suddenly begin being "haunted" by their deaths. This should have been, like, episode 3.=

Agreed. The first half would have been the perfect time and it could have been spread out over several episodes.

=The audience was supposed to care about the bus crash because Meg was in a coma, but that whole idea was mishandled, and we got a few names here and there, which was cool for a while, but these are the victims, here. These are the kids whose deaths we're supposed to be interested in, the people someone was apparently trying to kill. We should have met them before now. I am sure there are people (like, for instance, Rob) who could make a compelling case for doing it this way, but I think the decision to keep this from us for so long was made before the first half of the season didn't engage the fans as much as Rob thought it would, so there's not much he can do about it now.

In that regard, I'm doing what Aaron's doing: Blame Duncan!

Ms. James! How the hell had we not heard she was coming back?

Well, I would say we might see more of her since Out of Practice is going bye-bye, but Veronica's going to college next year.

Also: "Have you met my fluffer?" Honestly, Standards and Practices just doesn't care anymore. The writers barely have to try.

Of course S&P don't care anymore. UPN will cease to exist in four months.

=(and Jesus Christ, Dick, you want to fuck someone with the same name as your mom?).

Eww. I would have thought that Beaver would be more likely to do that.

Did Veronica talk to Marcos at all?

In the last dream.

That I AM GOD chalkboard freakout was pretty cool, and damn, how much freakier would it have been if Veronica had actually done that in class?

Big WORD. Me and my younger brother were laughing about that, and thought the exact same thing.

And if the fall doesn't kill you, you get to drown.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Excellent re-cap.
[User Picture]
From:iheartbridges
Date:April 12th, 2006 12:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
This should have been, like, episode 3.
I honestly thought for the first 10 minutes that I had missed something, and that this was a rerun from last fall.

Any chance is has something to do with the night change? I'm assuming no, cause it was probably written and filmed before that came up, but this could have been good for getting new people caught up. Ish.

Who is "the outing of all outings"?
What if the trip to the stadium were the outing? Like, going out somewhere. And it was the outing of all outings, cause it ended in them DEAD!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hee hee hee. Peter's like, "This is going to the best field trip EVER, guys!"

And, no, this has nothing to do with the night change. Just a nice coincidence.
[User Picture]
From:iheartbridges
Date:April 12th, 2006 11:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hee hee hee. Peter's like, "This is going to the best field trip EVER, guys!"
Yep.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:13 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Another very enjoyable read and I agree - we should have seen this episode much earlier in the season. Still - a very nicely done episode that had my mind reeling all over the place. Oh and excellent ending to your analysis.

And if the fall doesn't kill you, you get to drown.

Nice, very nice.

My head was whirling but in a good way. The dreams were great and confusing - and they should have been confusing. Veronica's mind is darting all over the place and the kids on the bus are reflecting that. I applaud Diane and Cathy for a nicely written episode.

Loved the Wallace and Logan interaction. Wallace looked past all the Logan bits (the fluffer) and saw inside the snarky wall he keeps up. And he stood up for him to Veronica. Sigh! And you're right - Mr. Wu rocked. VM's background characters are always rocking - they could give an actor's symposium on how to enrich a show by portraying wonderfully layered background characters.




[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:49 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh and excellent ending to your analysis.

Thanks. I was searching for a good ending, and my man Cervando delivered. Dream Cervando, at least, who is superior to real Cervando.
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Also: "Have you met my fluffer?" Honestly, Standards and Practices just doesn't care anymore. The writers barely have to try.

"Just because you wiggle your finger doesn't mean Dick's gonna come."
I don't know if that's meant to be quite as filthy as I'm thinking, but based on a certain running theme the naughty lines and gestures on this show have seemed to have...

I have so many things to say about the episode and about things you wrote in your post, but I just don't have the time to formulate it all. Two things, though: I realized after I went to bed last night that I forgot to tell you how much I loved the "Baby on Board" shirt, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Also, at the beginning of the Meg dream, was she talking but without her mouth moving? It was hard to tell with the fuzzy picture and my bad eyes, but if that was the case, I think it's cool. Weird, surreal things like that happen in dreams.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you're right; it seemed like that to me too.
[User Picture]
From:loopychew
Date:April 12th, 2006 11:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"Just because you wiggle your finger doesn't mean Dick's gonna come."
I don't know if that's meant to be quite as filthy as I'm thinking, but based on a certain running theme the naughty lines and gestures on this show have seemed to have...


It reminds me of a pickup line one of my friends told me once, where you wiggle your finger at a girl to try to attract her. If she takes it, you say, "I made you come with one finger. Imagine what I could do with a whole hand!"

I'm more than certain that it was meant to be that filthy. S&P stopped bothering with VM a loooooong time ago.

==

I loved Dick's "Kiss me, I'm rich" shirt. Equal shout-outs go to Ryan Hansen and whoever the hell his wardrobe designer is; they keep on making the greatest shirts EVAR.

Beaver? Abuse, but I think more of it is psychological than sexual. But now I want to know about Sally, the presumably-a-girl Beav mentioned in ANMMHE, and how she ties into the Casablancas relationship.

Mr. Wu is awesome. And it was great how Wallace points out that the only time he and Logan were ever really on screen at the same time was in the pilot.

Which reminds me, Logan + Veronica = HOT. Still. Coming off of last week's dance to Sway, you know they're the canon OTP. And the interrupted makeout narrative was also hilarious.

I'm so thankful this series is picking right back up. Yeah, it would've contextually made more sense towards the beginning of the season, but for plot advancement, it's kicking the final four into high gear. I'm so thankful I'll be in the US for the finale.
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I thought there was a bit of info to support your Cervando killed Felix theory, if only because he talked about how close he was to Liam, winning new jeans off of him, and such. I really like that they made Cervando a smart kid who's bad. Did Beaver want to blow him up? Aah!

It seems like there are about 18 herrings right now, and all but one are red, BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHICH ONE ISN'T RED!!!
[User Picture]
From:dachelle
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've always wondered - what color are herrings normally? And what's so special about red ones?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What the hell? We magically decided to comment to Erin at the same time?!
[User Picture]
From:dachelle
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We are obviously in tune on some psychic level.
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think they're grey, aren't they? I mean, they're fish, so . . . Right? A herring is a fish?

Oh, fuck it. I'm wikipedia-ing it:

A red herring, also referred to as a kipper, is a dried, smoked, herring. The curing process turns the fish red.

This sense of the phrase can be dated to the mid seventeenth century, and is used by Samuel Pepys in his diary for the entry 28th of February 1660 "Up in the morning, and had some red herrings to our breakfast, while my boot-heel was a-mending, by the same token the boy left the hole as big as it was before."

The phrase may have originated from the practice of saving a hunted fox by dragging a red herring across its trail to cause the pursuing hounds to lose the true scent and follow the false trail of herring odour instead. In this context the [Oxford English Dictionary] records its first written use occurring in 1686 "To draw a red herring across the track". There are however reasons to question this attribution of the metaphor.[2] There also is a nursery rhyme, 'The Man in the Wilderness', in which a man answers the question of how many strawberries grew in the sea with 'As many as red herrings grew in the wood'.


Huh. Okay, so, a red one has been smoked and cured. Tasty!
[User Picture]
From:dachelle
Date:April 12th, 2006 04:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm sorry, I'm still amused by Pepys's "the boy left the hole as big as it was before." I wonder if the VM writers can work that into a script in some way.
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:April 12th, 2006 04:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hee. That's the most boring diary entry ever. "Dear Diary, today I ate some fish for breakfast and there's a hole in my shoe. I really do hope that Polly will ask me to the big Sadie Hawkins dance. Love, Sammy."
[User Picture]
From:dachelle
Date:April 12th, 2006 04:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hey, it's no less fascinating than my typical LJ entry.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
CUT THE GREEN WIRE, ERIN!!
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:April 12th, 2006 03:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
THERE IS NO GREEN WIRE, SUNIL!

I referenced you in my latest post in what I feel is an amusing fashion.
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:April 12th, 2006 01:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh and also:

"Sometimes I'm awake all night just thinking about myself."

Me too, Logan. Me, too. Hee.
[User Picture]
From:stephl
Date:April 12th, 2006 04:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
whoever set off the bomb had to be able to see the position of the bus to make sure it would go off the cliff.

But what if the bus wasn't supposed to go off the cliff? What if the person behind the bomb just wanted the bus to crash in an on-land type of way, in order to scare the hell out of someone(s) on it?

(I'm actually inclined to think that the going off the cliff was intended, but for some reason it hit me this morning that *maybe* it wasn't.)

That I AM GOD chalkboard freakout was pretty cool, and damn, how much freakier would it have been if Veronica had actually done that in class?

That totally reminded me of "I Only Have Eyes For You," with the teacher writing "Don't walk away from me, BITCH!" on the chalkboard.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 04:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
(I'm actually inclined to think that the going off the cliff was intended, but for some reason it hit me this morning that *maybe* it wasn't.)

For a few weeks now, some of us been thinking that the bus crash was actually an ATTTD-style tragedy of errors, with no one person responsible. Because no one we've seen seems the kind to deliberately kill a busload of kids.
[User Picture]
From:eirefaerie
Date:April 12th, 2006 06:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I hope they don't do that again. I liked it in ATttD, but I want someone to be malicious enough to do this. I like the idea that someone is lurking around with a nice facade, and he's really even more batshit than Aaron.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:April 12th, 2006 07:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh man. I love dream episodes. When I saw the preview, I was worried because VM doesn't normally do dreams and how can it possibly like up to something like "Restless," the episode to which I compare all dream episodes to? But then it started and I was like, "Cool." Because Meg was there with a "Baby on Board" shirt and Peter was complaining that he needed to wear a rhinestone rainbow on his shirt for Veronica to even distinguish who he was. And Cervando - I didn't even catch how he had three last names - he was all, "I survived the crash and drowned."

But yeah, this should have been waaay earlier in the season. Perhaps right after Veronica found out that Meg was pregnant or heard Rhonda's message. But man, I loved the atmosphere of the dream - scratchy and weird and the shots of the water or air outside are just projected. And then there was the shot of the ground rushing towards them. And the end, with the phone ringing and ringing and Veronica can't answer it because she knows when she does, the bomb will go off and the bus will go off the cliff.
[User Picture]
From:lex_83
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That I AM GOD chalkboard freakout was pretty cool, and damn, how much freakier would it have been if Veronica had actually done that in class?

I really really really wish she HAD actually done it. Like i was seriously disappointed when it hadn't happened.

I had other things to respond to.. but my brain.. soo not working. And for that I blame Stalin.. and school.

Lovely recap as always!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Let's be icon buddies!
[User Picture]
From:lex_83
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Anytime.. except I am totally out of Meg icons.

*throws in another blond secondary character*
[User Picture]
From:lex_83
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wait.. doesn't Wallace know Rhonda and Natalie because he worked in the office all last year?
[User Picture]
From:maidofawesome
Date:April 12th, 2006 09:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wonder how Wallace knew Rhonda and Natalie?

BECAUSE WALLACE IS A WHORE.

Awesome episode. I could write insights, but my brain is small and confused.
[User Picture]
From:r_a_l_i_g_h
Date:April 13th, 2006 05:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
Because Veronica's always suspicious of Weevil (on even-numbered days; on odd-numbered days, she's suspicious of Logan) Hee. But of course, this season she actually SHOULD be suspicious of Weevil much of the time.
[User Picture]
From:spadada
Date:April 13th, 2006 12:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So last week, the more I thought about the ep, the more I liked it. What seemed like fanwanks slowly became good explanations, and the highschoolness of it didn't feel so cringy the second time around. This week, the more I think about this ep, the less worshipful I become of it. (And you read my post on TWoP, so you know I am falling from quite a height).

We should have at least learned their names earlier. The yearbook spread and the wall of pictures storyline could have come in episode 2, even if the dreams didn't. Kids who were friends with the victims could have harrassed Jess when the driver was the suspect. (Speaking of, didn't one of the ball throwers at the dunk tank say his friend was on the bus. Yeah, not so much.)

But more than that, I am suddenly having a hard time fanwanking V's sudden interest in the crash. The wall of pictures caused the dreams? That's all it took? Marcos' griveing parents caused a self-righteous scolding of Ryan and then nothing, but a wall of pictures causes tripped out (really creepy and expertly shot) dream sequences? Hmmm.

Your last sentence slayed me by the way. I know a lot of people said that already, but whoa. And finally, isn't everyone worth more dead than they are alive? I mean, its not like Dick and Beav are bringing in any income. If anything, they are costing the family money by being alive. Even w/o the insurance policy they are worth more dead than alive, right?

But I laughed a lot. At Wu, at JD's masterful delivery, at the Paris Hilton comment. And the direction/editing was awesome and the ending rocked, so I still loved it, but I'm not "over the moon" about it like I was Tuesday night. Oh, and thanks for the pimp ;)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:April 13th, 2006 01:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Aw.

Speaking of, didn't one of the ball throwers at the dunk tank say his friend was on the bus.

Yeah. Which one of those kids could have been that guy's friend? Peter, maybe?

If you look up, you can see the moon.
[User Picture]
From:spadada
Date:April 14th, 2006 01:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hope it's OK. I quoted the ep chat in a vmrandom post.
[User Picture]
From:dcjensen
Date:April 13th, 2006 01:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I loved the visual style of the dreams, the dull colors and scratchy film and general underwater feel. Plus, the world was inside the bus; nothing through the windows looked the least bit real.


I felt it was representitive of the scenery from inside the toy bus in the fish tank of the home of one of the victims. (marcos?)
[User Picture]
From:cerulgalactus
Date:April 13th, 2006 10:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Saw the ep finally (thanks be to you for showing me a torrent that actually frelling works - goodbye Pirate Bay, although you may have a fitting name, your speeds suck-diddly-uck) - Im with the apove poster who said for the first few minutes I though it was a repeat I'd missed.

Alls I can say is crackmysteryKIETHTwinPeakshiddencluesoutintheopenfun for all.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com