?

Log in

No account? Create an account
That's Wrong Both Factually and Ontologically - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

March 30th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:25 am - That's Wrong Both Factually and Ontologically
Would you look at that? Our show isn't cancelled yet. Too bad Mac's dead. Poor Cheerios.

You know, they didn't mention the bus crash until the last five minutes, and Troy didn't really serve any purpose beyond kicking off the A plot, and it was all really just a way to ease the transition into season three, which makes this really more of a weird filler episode...but it was still great.

It's a strong start with Teacher Continuity (Mrs. Murphy!) (I'm not sure why Teacher Continuity amuses me so much; I don't remember how poor it was on other teen shows. They hardly ever show the teachers on other shows, do they? And they're never distinct.) Oh, wait, before that, we totally skip over the part where Logan tells Veronica exactly what the horrible thing he did was. STOP NOT RESOLVING YOUR CLIFFHANGERS, YO. Okay, well, we do basically get the gist, since the charges have been dropped, and Veronica knows why. So Logan thinks the horrible thing was basically...the entire deal. Got it.

(Woody's real name is Woodrow! Heh.)

Then we set up the old Hearst U, and Kristen Bell's delivery of "If it were far away in Maine, I'd be excited, but it's in Neptune, so I'm not" is awesome. The matter-of-fact snarkiness there is perfect. And then when we get to Hearst, Michael Cera is adorable as Dean, who is, let's face it, pretty much a grown-up George Michael. A little more confident of himself, but that's what happens when you're older. Except, um, he's shot a man in Reno. That's interesting. And we will find out more about this next season when he returns, right? RIGHT?

Or maybe he was just joking.

Troy! I would never have expected you to be in this episode, what with your random appearance in the previouslies! Although I'd gotten spoiled for him about a month ago when I ran across the title of this episode and discussed it with someone who assumed I understood the implications of the word "Graff."

So, Troy is the new Logan, basically. He's come back with a moral makeover somehow, and he has to deal with Veronica, the Queen of Jumping to Conclusions and Clinging to Past Conceptions. Of course she's not going to believe he's changed. For Veronica, people do not change. Duncan was a perfect boyfriend back in the day, so he is a perfect boyfriend now. Logan was an obligatory psychotic jackass, and he remains an obligatory psychotic jackass. Troy was a lying scumbag, and he is still a lying scumbag. It helps keep her world less complicated than it already is. "You know me," she says. "Same old, same old." Even she stays the same, in her own mind. All of these people, including her, have actually changed, and she can't see it or won't acknowledge it. And...you don't read my posts for intellectual analysis; you're looking for snarky commentary. Let's move on.

Alia Shawkat! She was looking good at that party, and she was more un-Maeby-like than Michael was un-GM-like. I like that she had really nice hair because it makes it more believable that she'd be just as upset over getting her head shaved as she was about getting raped.

I cracked the ever-living fuck up at the Jane Austen shout-out. Well played, Rob. Well fucking played. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Rob (and, it seems, pretty much everyone else on the show) was very surprised that the fans hated Jackie so, so much simply because she dissed Pride and Prejudice. It would be great if one day in the future, Veronica just pours a beer on Jackie and says, "I owed you.")

Veronica randomly tasering that guy? HILARIOUS.

Oh! Going back a few scenes. In the opening Mrs. Murphy scene, I noticed there was another African-American girl! Diversity! And then there was one at Hearst, and Wallace is immediately drawn to her rather than her Caucasian friend. Um, what happened to Jane, yo? What happened to the old "Um, are we being racist?" question? But then he flirted with Kierkegaard, so that was good. Wallace was better in this episode than he's been in a while; he had that very smooth window-unlocking maneuver. And of course he's getting a basketball scholarship to Hearst U.

I love the frat-boy point system because, well...that's pretty true to life. At Rice, there was definitely an unofficial point system at play during Owl Weekend, when the prospies (or the pro-frosh, in Heart terms) came to visit. I forget how many points hooking up with your prospy was worth...no, wait, your prospy was of your sex, so hooking up your prospy would actually be worth quite a few more points than hooking up with, say, your hallmate's prospy. But I digress. Point is: objectifying women is AWESOME. I mean, bad. Bad! That's totally what I meant to say!

It didn't even occur to me that they would make a reference to Veronica's rape in this episode. Because...they never do. But man, that was a wonderful subtle callback. So Veronica: "It'll suck...and then it'll suck less." And it's a testament to Kristen's performance that I actually caught the subtext there. Like I said, her rape wasn't even on my mind, and the way she delivered that line just thwapped me. There was even a little shift in the music.

Okay. The Emmy scene? First of all, heeeee, "Emmy nomination." Second of all, HAAAAA. I swear, that is going down as one of the funniest scenes in the series. The over-the-top music combined with Veronica's over-the-top (but not too over-the-top) performance all leading up to the classic punchline: "Sorry, this girl was Hawaiian." In the future, Veronica, the recovery line is: "She's adopted."

"Where would I find a Hawaiian?"
"...in Hawaii?"

HA HA HA HA HA I LOVE YOU GEORGE MICHAEL DEAN DEAN MICHAEL.

One of the frat boys' codenames is Iceman? Ha! A combined shout-out to Couch Baron's nickname for Troy (Icetwin) and the reason for that nickname. ("You undercounted the sassy" is a classic Veronica line.)

However points Stacy is actually worth, she scored about seventy-five more for that hair stunt. We'll see her again next season, right? RIGHT?

We kind of have to, though, given the non-resolution of the A plot. They can't have Veronica go to Hearst and just let this serial rapist run loose. But Wallace is spot-on in his assessment that Veronica will feel right at home. She already has enemies. And what about Troy? Will we see him again? Okay, we can't make them all regulars, but surely they can be somewhat recurring!

All right, B plot. Or maybe it's the C plot. Probably the C plot, but it's less meaty, so I'm putting it in the middle, where the meat normally goes, just to fuck with you.

Cliff shirtless! Sooner or later, every single man on this show will get a shirtless scene. Nice little mystery plot for him.

Madison leaves Dick for Lamb? Who's supposed to be more mature? As if. He just has a bigger penis.

Babsonite: AHHHHHHH
raligh: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
jediknight: HA!
CarpeDi7: OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Babsonite: best thing ever!
wimbledonchampv: Dude!
Maka: OMG OMG OMG
raligh: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CarpeDi7: Is Madison 18?
Maka: Did Lamb take the brief case too?!
raligh: So, Lamb and Madison have been together since the carnival?
CarpeDi7: I'm a guessing, which is too funny
Babsonite: holy shit...LAMB AND MADISON!!
CarpeDi7: Michael has such a hard job. Hee

The Keith/Lamb/Cliff scene Rob mentioned last night was pretty funny, but the first half of it, just the Keith/Lamb bugged me because Michael was basically using the same delivery he's used for every Lamb line the last six episodes or something. That immediate dismissal of whatever the other character has to say. It's getting a little irritating; I know Lamb's a self-centered ass, but I almost feel like Michael's got that one delivery down so well he just falls back on it.

It's better when the more incriminating pictures come into play, and Lamb-as-a-person comes through. And, oh my fucking God, Keith's line about the campaign slogan was funny, but the fact that they actually made the flyer was a superpunchline.

Of course, that whole plotline is still kind of a mystery because...who paid off the hooker? Why steal the files on Logan's case after it's been dropped? Did Lamb have anything to do with it? Are the Fitzpatricks involved?

Okay, B plot. Logan. Hannah. I know, I know, I know. (An aside: Ryan Hansen does not know how to play video games. He continues to mash the buttons during the fatality. What the hell? Still, I once again love the fact that they use video games on this show in a way that shows that the writers, at least, know how to play video games.) Poor Hannah. She's so crushed. And the fact that she actually bakes a file into his cake makes her twice as awesome and thus deserving of my sympathy.

I'm not totally satisfied that Logan seemingly ended up "falling for" Hannah, but I don't think it's as simple as that. It's not like the cliché. I think it's true to Logan and how fucked up he is, emotionally. And the fact that he's trying to be a better person. He wants to be with Hannah when he doesn't have to, not just for her sake, but for his. This is something he has to do for himself because Logan, unlike Veronica, can recognize change. He needs change because his life sucks. Veronica chooses to ignore what sucks; Logan focuses on it. They're motivational opposites.

Tegan and Sara!

Cool edits for the approach of Dr. Griffith. I initially thought it was the Fitzpatricks come to kill Hannah. And Logan is in big, big trouble. Is it weird for him to cry out, "You can't take the sky my eye pep squad pie her from me!"? Nah, he's a rebel, and he's always been protective of the women he cares about. But now he's lost his gambling chip, and his prosecutor's case files are missing. Someone really has it in for him.

And oh yeah, bus crash. Explosives. Boom. Danny Boyd! Woody is now connected to the Fitzpatricks!

Soylent Green is Fitzpatricks!

In conclusion, here's a random shout-out to spadada.
Current Mood: stressedstressed
Current Music: MC Lars - Hot Topic Is Not Punk Rock

(67 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:topanga_fangirl
Date:March 30th, 2006 05:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Very thorough, analysis, Polter-Cow. You pointed out everything I liked about the episode.

To add: when Veronica wants to check to see if Troy really left his name and number on Stacy's message board, he says, very sweetly, "Or you could just believe me." Veronica: "I'll check." Hee.

One thing I would have liked to see is more meaningful interaction between Wallace and Veronica. I wanted to hear Veronica say, "What about Jane?" when he's scamming on the other prospy and checking out women at the frat party. I wanted to hear Wallace say, "I can't believe you're helping this guy" when she tells him she's trying to clear Troy. They seemed more like two people who happened to go to the same high school than BFF. In season one's "The Wrath of Con," during their college foray, there were more of the subtle looks and inside jokes that friends share.

The black girl in the front row of the classroom--they only flashed her for an instant, but I thought, "Wow. She's cute." And did Danny Boyd get uglier? He looked straight up like King Kong in this episode.

This column is for comments, not new lj entries, so I'll shut up now.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
Danny Boyd totally got hit with an ugly stick. I didn't even recognize him. I thought he looked mentally disabled.

I agree about Wallace and Veronica.
[User Picture]
From:sterope
Date:March 30th, 2006 05:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
Were Maeby and George-Michael on as a result of the AD joke or was the joke on AD to publicize their appearance on Veronica Mars?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:21 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think they're related in that way, but the VM casting happened before the AD shout-out aired. Given that it was the two of them in that scene, I would imagine if there were causality, it was VM -> AD. But it's definitely not the other way around, for obvious reasons.
[User Picture]
From:schnappycat
Date:March 30th, 2006 05:59 am (UTC)
(Link)
I know Lamb's a self-centered ass, but I almost feel like Michael's got that one delivery down so well he just falls back on it.
You should let him know. He appreciates feedback on his work. I'm sure he would be interested to hear that from you.

I want a random shoutout! I've never had a shoutout! You've even had one on the show. Sniff, sniff. I'm also sad I can never chat. I miss out on all the fun!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't know; I feel weird criticizing an actor on his performance since, while I have acted, it's not like I'm that good. I'm more of a writer than an actor, so I feel like I have more credibility discussing character and story.

I've totally shouted out to you before! I think. I mean, did write a whole post about you when I met you.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:14 am (UTC)
(Link)
He wants to be with Hannah when he doesn't have to, not just for her sake, but for his. This is something he has to do for himself because Logan, unlike Veronica, can recognize change. He needs change because his life sucks. Veronica chooses to ignore what sucks; Logan focuses on it. They're motivational opposites.

That was a lovely way to put it.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks. I'm not sure if it made a lot of sense or was entirely accurate, but it just kind of came to me. They're driven in the same direction by two opposing forces. It's very interesting.
[User Picture]
From:iheartbridges
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
And then when we get to Hearst, Michael Cera is adorable as Dean
He was great. Wallace was underused. Underused!

Veronica randomly tasering that guy? HILARIOUS.
... and kind of weird and sketchy.

However points Stacy is actually worth, she scored about seventy-five more for that hair stunt.
That was the weirdest little random scene, and the guy in it sucked.

He just has a bigger penis.
Or is a bigger dick.

because Michael was basically using the same delivery he's used for every Lamb line the last six episodes or something.
YES! Check my previous comments, because DUDE. I'm getting sick of it. He's not interesting, he's just stupid. ACK.

Why steal the files on Logan's case after it's been dropped? Did Lamb have anything to do with it? Are the Fitzpatricks involved?
The plastic surgeon! It was him!

Gotta say: I wasn't such a fan of tonight's ep. Except for Lamb and Madison, cause that was just too fucking awesome. Madison = the anti-Veronica.

I want a random shout-out.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
Wallace was underused. Underused!

Agreed!

... and kind of weird and sketchy.

Aw, but Veronica/taser is my OTP!

He's not interesting, he's just stupid. ACK.

I mean, there's a difference between taking a moment to consider before declaring that investigation would be a lot of work and just tossing off a "comeback" to anything someone says.

Gotta say: I wasn't such a fan of tonight's ep.

Aw, really? I really enjoyed it.

I want a random shout-out.

I've wished for you to have a happy life, and yet you still want more from me?!
[User Picture]
From:cran
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
We never agree on episodes, do we? I loved all the little "character moments" in this one, but I was incredibly disappointed that a) Logan's case was dismissed off-screen, between episodes; b) Hannah was just shipped off once they had no use for her anymore; c) the rapist was NOT CAUGHT and Veronica didn't even seem to CARE; and d) neither of the cases of the week got resolved -- we found out Troy didn't rape anyone, but that's it. That's just not enough for me. I want to believe this season is going to end awesomely, but if single episodes can't even do it right... I'm losing faith.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the "Oh, yeah, Logan's case was dropped, just to let you know" bit, and they could have done a better job on leaving the rapist plotline open without, basically, dropping it once Troy was off the hook. Hannah's being shipped off, though, seemed natural enough given where the storyline was going. Dr. Griffith wanted Logan to get the hell away from his daughter, so he makes sure he won't touch her again. Takes care of that and piles more angst on Logan.

It was a strange episode in terms of not really resolving things, but it's just one episode. I don't see why it would cause you to lose faith; the episodes before have wrapped the things that need wrapping up rather tidily.
[User Picture]
From:matchboxslayer
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
i must say that this is one of the best episodes of the season in terms of wit and punchlines, snarkiness and setup. of course there was little to no resolution. irregardless. <--more fun to say aloud.

i didn't read your previous entry with rob because i was afraid of spoilers. i don't trust myself when i have to highlight things.

and with the onset of higher education, i think veronica mars: the college years could prove to beat the "semi-sophomore slump" we are or are not in.

the flyer was hilarious. the emmy scene was hilarious. pretty much everyone of veronica's lines was a classic line. dean was great. hopefully he'll be back. hawaiians count for diversity right? and the hannah logan scene was straight up hot. almost sex mixed with suspense = always hot. keith and the blog. ha!

now, my random connection to rob thomas. i interned at "the young & the restless" where i befriended rachel kimsey who was in "fortune cookie" which was written by rob thomas. sidenote: david tom (iceman) was also on y&r. just not when i was there.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
The blog! Dammit, I knew I was missing a shout-out. Rob loves his bloggers.
[User Picture]
From:thetheatremouse
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sir, you gave me a fucking heart attack, so for the 850th time, I'm Sorry! AND, we're so even.
Yeah, you get fucking "Sir"ed tonight.
[User Picture]
From:idreamofpeace
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I agree about the scene where Veronica actually refers to her own rape. Just that little conversation managed to resolve for the audience (at least for me) her rape. She still thinks about it (well, less and less, but still). And I guess that means that she still considers herself raped? Or is she just able to empathize because she knows how it feels to feel like you've been raped?

Anyway, the continuity in this ep had me in tears - the good kind.

I loved this episode. Seriously.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
I don't know whether it matters whether she still considers herself raped now. She knows what it was like after Shelly Pomroy's party.

I'm glad you loved the episode. You need some happiness.
[User Picture]
From:topanga_fangirl
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
P-C, I just got your Danny Boyd/ugly stick shout-out to Welcome Back, Kotter.

"You look like somebody played 'Danny Boy' on your face with an ugly stick." Vinnie Barbarino rocked! My John Travolta love started way back then and continues today.

I think Veronica still feels like she was raped, but there wasn't really a rapist. Huh?

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 06:45 am (UTC)
(Link)
I...wasn't shouting out to Welcome Back, Kotter. "Getting hit with an ugly stick" is just an expression.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:March 30th, 2006 07:18 am (UTC)
(Link)
Once again, you said everything I was going to and you said it with more articulation and humor. Bastard!



Just kidding! You're not a bastard.
[User Picture]
From:upanashad
Date:March 30th, 2006 07:27 am (UTC)
(Link)
I loved how Veronica says to Dean I'm not going here next year right after they play their two truths and a lie game, and he goes "okay, enough lies" but he kind of mumbles it. It seemed like a total shout-out to S3. I just loved MC's delivery in that whole scene, if he could be a regular on VM next year, I think I could be okay with AD being gone forever.

Also I feel you on the "Veronica not accepting change" front and therefore not being able to forgive Troy, but I think she had good reason to not believe Troy right away. He did totally smooth talk and manipulate her once before and play with her emotions, so she would kind of be, well, Hannah, if she just let him suck her right back in with his charm. Also, the thing that is so awesome about the way KB plays the character is that even while Veronica is saying she doesn't believe people change and being all hard-boiled, you can also see her softening and starting to feel for them, just from her facial expressions or something. She's just great with the subtlety.

One more thing, do you think at the beginning in the classroom they had Mrs. Murphy single out Dick to make a Dick and Woody joke? Because she said something like "Dick, you'd get to stand next to Woody..." I don't know, I thought it was funny, and I know the writers have dirty minds.

Anyway, great recap!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 07:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ha! I totally did not catch the Dick/Woody joke. Nice.
[User Picture]
From:bello_sogno
Date:March 30th, 2006 08:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, wait, before that, we totally skip over the part where Logan tells Veronica exactly what the horrible thing he did was. STOP NOT RESOLVING YOUR CLIFFHANGERS, YO.
Totally agree. That could have been a really interesting scene.

...the implications of the word "Graff."
Okay, I totally didn't get that until just now. I'm an idiot.

They can't have Veronica go to Hearst and just let this serial rapist run loose.
Unfortunately, I'm betting it's just one of those things that will conveniently be forgotten when Veronica enrolls next year. I was pretty disappointed in the lack of resolution for that plotline - I feel like Veronica of all people would be more invested in solving the case given her personal experience. But it was more like, well, Troy didn't do it. The end.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 02:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Rob's said before that this episode would lay some groundwork for the season three mystery, that if there's something that makes you think, "Huh, I wonder if that'll ever come up again," it will.
[User Picture]
From:truemyth
Date:March 30th, 2006 09:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sooner or later, every single man on this show will get a shirtless scene.

From your LJ to Rob's ears.



No really. Could you e-mail him or something?

*Lives for the scene of Terrance, Lamb, and Logan in a sauna together.*

You say shallow, I say a devoted patron of the beauty of the male form.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:jenelope
Date:March 30th, 2006 02:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I thought they were going to reveal that George Michael had raped Maeby, just to horrify AD shippers. Their names were Dean and Stacey? Huh. I could have sworn it was George Michael and Maeby.

By the way, what was up with the little dog in the hair confrontation scene? Stacey lived in a dorm, right? So, how in the hell would she have had a little dog? She's not Elle Woods in some Bizarro Harvard where they let you keep a chihuahua in your room. If it was Alia Shawkat's little dog, couldn't someone (say a petite, blonde dog-lover) have kept an eye on it during the scene? Although, it did appear that there was a mysterious appearing/disappearing stain on the rug, so maybe the deets on the dog were cut. I'm now obsessing over the little dog. I think it was a Cairn terrier. Possibly named Fletcher.

I think that Jason Dohring was not done any favors by his shirtless scene. He looks better in clothes than without them. I'm glad Hannah is gone, because now I can stop thinking about Logan dating an eighth grader. Okay, so she's tall and willowy and apparently confident, sexually. I'm willing to start thinking of her as a tenth grader. And in spite of being glad she's gone, she earned major points with me over baking a file into the cake. I thought the cake was adorable before, but the file made it awesome.

I do disagree with you about Logan's reasons for wanting to be with her, though. I think he may actually like her quite a bit, but how much of that is driven by knowing that it's wrong? Logan only seems to want girls that will guarantee a fucked up relationship. If her father had been all, "Okay, so I lied. Go ahead and date my daughter," do you think that Logan would have wanted to continue seeing her? Far from wanting to change and pursue a normal relationship, I think Logan wanted to continue sneaking around and having a doomed relationship. All but one of his portrayed relationships has involved secrecy and some fatalistic sense that one or both partners are going to end up hurt. That one relationship was with Lilly, and I don't think anyone would call that a healthy relationship. I think Logan is hooked on doom.
[User Picture]
From:athenacqd
Date:March 30th, 2006 08:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I actually totally agree with this:
"I think that Jason Dohring was not done any favors by his shirtless scene. He looks better in clothes than without them"

I was so uncomfortable during that scene that I couldn't tell if it was because of Logan/Hannah or the nakedness, but I think you are totally right. I LOVE Logan/Jason but I've never been particularly excited by his shirtless scenes. He's hottest in clothes.

Lamb, on the other hand....
[User Picture]
From:herowlness
Date:March 30th, 2006 04:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dude, how much did I love this/you? Your recaps of anything are always totally hilarious, and I am now, of course, wishing that I had stumbled across these earlier. This summer I may need to go back and revisit some of the older ep recaps ... presuming that these last few are like the first ones EVER that you did, I mean. :)

I forget how many points hooking up with your prospy was worth...no, wait, your prospy was of your sex, so hooking up your prospy would actually be worth quite a few more points than hooking up with, say, your hallmate's prospy. But I digress. Point is: objectifying women is AWESOME. I mean, bad. Bad! That's totally what I meant to say!
Seeing as how I've never experienced that sort of thing on campus here (ah, the downside to being female!), it's great to hear that there actually *is* some semblance of reality to it. Although, honestly? It sounds so male that it didn't really doubt it. I mean, uh ... all the guys I know would *never* do anything like that. Really. =nods emphatically=

In the future, Veronica, the recovery line is: "She's adopted."
BWAH! I love that. And I was totally thinking something along those lines too. You just ... put it into words, while mine was just a fleeting thought during the episode, telling V what to do.

CarpeDi7: Michael has such a hard job.
Okay, so I'm twelve apparently. And that line just made me laugh *so* much. Hard! =giggles more=

I'm not totally satisfied that Logan seemingly ended up "falling for" Hannah, but I don't think it's as simple as that. It's not like the cliché. I think it's true to Logan and how fucked up he is, emotionally. And the fact that he's trying to be a better person. He wants to be with Hannah when he doesn't have to, not just for her sake, but for his. This is something he has to do for himself because Logan, unlike Veronica, can recognize change. He needs change because his life sucks. Veronica chooses to ignore what sucks; Logan focuses on it. They're motivational opposites.
I have issues with Hannah regardless (and, seriously, one of the worst things about this ep is that now that she's in like Vermont or wherever? the shooting of Hannah probably won't happen! =flails= I wanted that BAD.), but I like this analysis of why Logan wanted her back. He totally is an emotional fuckup, and I love that you put my general thoughts into words.

And - because I'm a crazy-stalker like that - I'm adding you to my flist. =)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 05:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dude, how much did I love this/you?

Approximately two kilobytes.

Your recaps of anything are always totally hilarious, and I am now, of course, wishing that I had stumbled across these earlier. This summer I may need to go back and revisit some of the older ep recaps ... presuming that these last few are like the first ones EVER that you did, I mean. :)

Thanks, that's very flattering. Clicking on my VM tag should help you find previous recaps, though you'll run across lots of other crap as well. Now, see, if LJ allowed you to sort by two tags, you could sort by VM and "tv" and be done with it. Hell, you might be better off clicking on "tv" and just looking for the VM posts. I've written a post for almost every episode this season, and a few last season ("Betty and Veronica," "Hot Dogs," and "Leave It to Beaver," I think).

BWAH! I love that. And I was totally thinking something along those lines too. You just ... put it into words, while mine was just a fleeting thought during the episode, telling V what to do.

I actually didn't even think of it until writing, so I guess I can't fault Veronica for not using it.

I like this analysis of why Logan wanted her back. He totally is an emotional fuckup, and I love that you put my general thoughts into words.

Good!

And - because I'm a crazy-stalker like that - I'm adding you to my flist. =)

Dude, I'm honored! I mean, you're...you!
[User Picture]
From:xxxaimsxxx
Date:March 30th, 2006 07:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Nothing of interest to say, just: Lamb and Madison 4eVa!!11one1!!! SQUEE! I was bummed on missing out on the chat.
[User Picture]
From:kibarika
Date:March 30th, 2006 08:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You know what, though? I believe Dick would ineffectually push buttons during the fatality. Unless that was the kind of thing that makes the cutscene end. Is it? I don't play Mortal Kombat. (Or rather, I haven't in many years, and it was totally surreal seeing that fatality in 3D. It was way cooler in 2D.) Anyway, my point is, I know people who are button mashers and would do that; I buy that Dick would be a button masher. I buy he'd learn that ONE fatality and then let mashing carry him through the rest. Which would work, in a 3D fighter, you know?
[User Picture]
From:jenelope
Date:March 30th, 2006 09:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think that the fatality would count as a cutscene. I will admit to a tendency toward button mashing, especially against a tough opponent or boss. In my case, though, it's more like an exhausted, "Is he really dead? Am I done? Oh, I guess I can stop pushing the B button now." I've never actually played Mortal Kombat, though. Maybe it's different than what I'm used to.
[User Picture]
From:athenacqd
Date:March 30th, 2006 08:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Excellent recap. While I generally agree with most of what you say, I think this line "Veronica chooses to ignore what sucks; Logan focuses on it. They're motivational opposites" is the best one in the recap (humor aside). I hadn't actually thought about that before, particularly since people tend to focus on the "they're the same! they are just alike" argument and I am one of those people.

As for the Logan files, I think that's a red herring. I don't think Logan's files are what they want (that case has to be dead now, even Dr. G can't come back and testify, all their credibility is shot). I think that's a diversion and there is something else in that briefcase that someone wants.

And I love the reference to Mac! Poor cheerios indeed.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 30th, 2006 08:42 pm (UTC)
(Link)
_jems_ suspects what's important about the briefcase is that it contains keys to the Echolls storage locker, meaning Aaron is involved for some reason.

Also, I'm glad the motivational opposites thing made sense to other people. I mean, I just make this shit up.
[User Picture]
From:spadada
Date:March 31st, 2006 01:42 am (UTC)
(Link)
In conclusion, here's a random shout-out to spadada.
"Wow." That's in quotes because I actually said it outloud. "Wow." I thought you were crazy sick of me after all the comments I left you yesterday! Aww, thanks, P-C. I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you that I will be getting my own personalized VM shout-out in ep 19. The very hot and very sweet Rick Pickett asked me from my last name a few weeks back so he could "put [my] name up in celluloid" then a few days later told me to "look for a GPS map in Veronica's car, EP 219. Should be a street on there..." AWWWWW! And thank you again for doing the same. I need lots of external reinforcement :)

So do you think the Echolls storage locker is going to be important?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 31st, 2006 02:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Awesome! I can't wait to see it, and I'll claim your WW bio.
[User Picture]
From:alannaofdoom
Date:March 31st, 2006 03:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oooh, look, I actually watched this episode.

And liked it a lot, too... so, you know, much as I hate coming late to a party (and, you know, I'm totally lost on the season's arc - hello, TWOP recaps, I'm a-comin'!), I think I'm pretty much on the Veronica Mars train at this point.

Mostly because, "I would, if something funny would happen!" is just about the most perfect response to anyone telling a woman to get a sense of humor. That one's going in the mental file.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 31st, 2006 03:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yay! I'm so glad you gave it a second chance. Veronica's totally your kind of woman, dude.

As for catching up, I recommend Couch Baron's recaps for sure, but for a quicker refresher, you'll want to browse the website I work on, Mars Investigations. Not only is it an easy way to learn about the season's mysteries, but we've got a handy summary of both season one and season two, so far.
[User Picture]
From:queen_haq
Date:March 31st, 2006 05:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm not totally satisfied that Logan seemingly ended up "falling for" Hannah, but I don't think it's as simple as that. It's not like the cliché. I think it's true to Logan and how fucked up he is, emotionally. And the fact that he's trying to be a better person. He wants to be with Hannah when he doesn't have to, not just for her sake, but for his. This is something he has to do for himself because Logan, unlike Veronica, can recognize change. He needs change because his life sucks. Veronica chooses to ignore what sucks; Logan focuses on it. They're motivational opposites.

Ah, as one of the ten L/H shippers in the VM fandom, I couldn't agree more. I don't think he fell for her but he wanted to. I loved the resolution of Logan/Hannah storyline. I didn't want Hannah to leave thinking she meant nothing to him. Obviously, he did care for her and she knew that.

And that's enough shipper talk!

And wow, I can't believe some people didn't like Logan shirtless scene. Maybe it's just the slut in me but I *ADORE* JD shirtless scene. Aesthetics, be damned. My radar is always on!


I was actually quite prouf of myself because I called the Lamb/Madison hookup two ad breaks ahead while chatting with txtequilanights and shizam23.

Anyhow, I loved your analysis!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 31st, 2006 05:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
Thank you!
[User Picture]
From:soleta_nf
Date:April 1st, 2006 12:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
I expected Hannah's dad to have some Fitzpatrick goons with him, to beat up Logan after he left. Do you think that's all that's all he was referring to - sending Hannah to bording school? Or do you think that he plans to screw with Logan further?

And I got excited at the Tegan and Sara too. :)

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com