?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Do You Know What Any Words Actually Mean? - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

February 2nd, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:10 am - Do You Know What Any Words Actually Mean?
Fight!

Or...let's not fight. It's a new week.

I was hoping the episode would live up to the awesome title, and I do believe it did. This is my show, with the continuity and the sleuthing and the season-long themes and the snappy dialogue that makes me laugh.

First of all...OH YEAH THERE WAS A BUS CRASH. I love it when they actually have clues for the Big Mystery of the Season. Last season, I was impressed with the way they juggled stand-alone and arcs, but the balancing act this year isn't so hot because they have THREE THOUSAND ARCS. But I've been going with it, it's new, it's different, and time will tell how many plates end up falling on the ground and breaking and how many plates twirl beautifully. And that's all I'm going to say about that now because if you know me at all, it's that I'm all about accentuating the positive. Well, as long as the episode doesn't suck.

Wait, we start out at Java the Hut, because Veronica totally still works there when they need a scene with cake in it. Except they didn't even show me Cute as a Bug Manager! Dammit! I like her! Anyway, it's time to put last week behind us and focus on Wallace, baby. He's in the title, after all. Oh, Wallace. We missed you. And now it's time for you to be a man.

The title of this post is now probably one of my top...twenty, at least...VM quotes ever. It's not particularly clever on its own, but in context, it's hilarious. And I love Cliff. "Or that."

Keith! Oh, you fucking rock. You really didn't need those headphones, but the audience thanks you, especially for making "One Angry Veronica" useful in some way. I love this show for so often hiding setups so you don't even realize they were setups until you hit the payoff. It makes the extremely awkward setups ("Hi! I am a random deputy who will randomly give you access to a random club in the future! Now, back to your regularly scheduled episode.") that much more annoying. And Rick Pickett, you are too funny: the name of Keith's fake book is Those Who Trespass. Although I've just learned it's actually a real book by Bill O'Reilly, in which case Rick probably had nothing to do with it. But, Rick, you're still funny.

I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't know it was going to happen so soon: I...didn't hate Jackie this episode. Because I think she had every right to be pissed at Wallace. Which made me dislike the fakeout a little because I even found her behavior at the frat party perfectly within reason. I want to see when the three of them hatched this little plan and how they sorted out their issues enough to work together, because...yeah. But she does win points for helping Veronica and Wallace with their little scheme. Though Wallace is awesomely not running back into her arms and is instead dating Jane Kuhne! Eeeheehee. She's cute, but I swear she looks subtly different every time we see her.

From the promo, I wasn't happy about Wallace suddenly being framed for the hit-and-run, but I actually liked how it played out. It's very much in line with the rest of the season, the way the rich and influential can get away with whatever they want. Wallace's word is worth nothing compared to Uncle Rucker's cash and connections. Also: Nathan Woods still exists!

"A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum Suites." Ahahahahaha. Perfect.

You know, if that's all Super Huge Deputy was going to do, we really could have lived without his scene last week. We're accustomed to the fact that the deputies are nice to Veronica and do her favors. I would have bought an extra line of retroactive exposition in return from him this episode. Oh, well. Got to explain things to the non-obsessives.

Speaking of non-obsessives: very clunky VMVO about Veronica still considering herself the bus crash target. And since we're on that subject, I find it highly amusing that many people didn't seem to put two and two together after "Rat Saw God" and realize that the dead rat was what Dick, who is no smellologist, had smelled, and now we find out that was the plot point. Also, I like Gia. She amuses me. And oh my God, Woody is SO SKETCH now. Well, more sketch. Somehow, he knew about the bomb. I hope that's not a red herring.

Logan's playing the same golf game he was playing to re-bond with Duncan! And now he's bonding with Weevil! Aww.

Loved the Lars karaoke continuity. And the Britt Daniels cameo was much better than Courtney Taylor-Taylor's. They even gave him a couple lines and some motivation! I was annoyed that he was holding his microphone all rock star-like, though. It's fucking karaoke, dude. You're not rocking out with Spoon. But I liked that his song made Veronica happy.

Hee to Veronica's discovery of Weevil and Logan being "sneaky." Like, sitting two goddamn tables from each other. And the horse's ass thing was priceless. Also, Veronica? You have no problem listening into people's private counseling sessions or snooping through their medical records, but you draw the line at bugging a confessional? In any case, the "I'm going to hell. I'm going straight to hell" bit was great, as was Father Patrick's little lesson about vengeance ("Okay, I've learned a lot, I think I'll be good now..." Kristen Bell cracks me up).

There wasn't enough Keith/Veronica fallout, though I find it interesting that Keith didn't mention that he totally already knew about the bug. Their relationship is so goddamn complicated because keeping secrets is just second nature to them.

Dude! Weevil! PCHer coup! I was surprised to see it actually happen. I was kind of amused that we cut from a menacing shot of the PCHers crowding around Weevil...to a shot of Weevil already beaten up. Heh. Rob knows they don't do violence well. But I thought they were just going to leave him hanging.

Interesting note: Hector is totally having second thoughts. I mean, this should be pretty obvious, because the actor who plays him has been overacting all season. The actor who plays Thumper, however, is doing a good job, given his character's name. Very interesting cell phone vid of Weevil beating the crap out of Curly Moran. But I say this: Thumper did not confess to killing Felix. The murder is so not solved. Because it was Cervando. Cervando, I say! And so does Rae! (soundingsea and I have worked out that Cervando and Thumper were secret lovers, hence the covering for him.)

Oh! Random Terrence Cook/Ms. Dumass connection. Huh. From a random adultery case. I don't know what to make of it, and I don't know what to make of Lamb's random accusation of Terrence. Except that I wonder if it has to do with his not settling his gambling debts.

Well. I'm not sure how, but I feel like this is one of the best episodes of the season. So much plot progression, very little to complain about. I have a feeling the second half of the season may just kick quite a bit of ass.

I leave you with this amusing chat excerpt:

spectralbovine: But the episode lived up to its great title.
spectralbovine: I was going to be sad if the episode sucked with a title that great.
thetheatremouse: Yeah. I can never decide whether a bad ep with a good title makes me sad, or is a small consolation.
thetheatremouse: I mean, sadder than a bad ep in general would be.
spectralbovine: I know this is unpopular, but I'm rather fond of the title "Lord of the Bling."
spectralbovine: It's such an Entertainment Weekly title.
thetheatremouse: I am too!
spectralbovine: If there's anything I like more than good puns, it's bad puns.
thetheatremouse: I was surprised to hear that people don't like it.
thetheatremouse: That's what I said!
spectralbovine: Why are you not here so we can hug?
Jediknight1823: Yeah Lord of the Bling was a good title.
thetheatremouse: It's a so-bad-it's-good pun.
thetheatremouse: No, why are you not here so we can hug and then count in the Nielsens?
Current Mood: cheerfulcheerful
Current Music: Stone Temple Pilots - Pour Some Sugar on Me (Live)

(40 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


Page 1 of 2
<<[1] [2] >>
[User Picture]
From:carpedi7
Date:February 2nd, 2006 05:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
As far as the microphone thing, half of the people at Karaoke Idol around here hold their mics like that, it annoys me with them also. :)

Something that r_a_l_i_g_h said to me tonight. The episode took the show back to "smooshy-giggly-chair-butt-dancing-happy-fan-wiggly moments" which I think is an amazing way to put it.
[User Picture]
From:cindywrites
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:06 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh. Yes. This is a perfect description, except I was on the couch, which I suppose is a kind of chair. But yeah!
From:babsonite
Date:February 2nd, 2006 05:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
From a random adultery case.
Interesting theory

I was kind of amused that we cut from a menacing shot of the PCHers crowding around Weevil...to a shot of Weevil already beaten up. Heh. Rob knows they don't do violence well.
This was smart, as people were actually "aww-ing" over Weevil, instead of laughing at the PCHers dancing near his body.

Their relationship is so goddamn complicated because keeping secrets is just second nature to them.
Those kids. They never learn. If they only worked together, everything would probably take them half as long.

And oh my God, Woody is SO SKETCH now
Now???
[User Picture]
From:thetheatremouse
Date:February 2nd, 2006 05:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
I went to a Karaoke place for the first time recently and one of my posse used to be lead singer in a band. He totally held the mic all I am a rock star don't you all want me and the owner kept yelling at him because it was effing up the sound.

I've had some thoughts on the VMVO issue simmering for a few weeks now. I might have to write a treatise on that soon.

And YES about the twirly plates. Actually, yes about the whole damn thing. Well put thoughts, sir. Nicely done.
[User Picture]
From:horsefacehannah
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
"A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum Suites." Ahahahahaha. Perfect.

I didn't even notice that, but now I know, and LOVE LOVE.

Were they insinuating that Weevil was the one who killed Curly Moran? Which I would maybe buy if it weren't for the "Veronica Mars" on his hand. So I think not.

Dick was so ON this episode. I think there needs to be more random shots of him giving kids wedgies. Also, since Kelda was on the phone the whole episode, I had the CC on, and when Beaver said "Dick, he said..." or whatever, the captioning said "Dickie". Which is way cooler.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think they were insinuating that Lamb, if he saw the video, would leap to the conclusion that Weevil killed Curly Moran. You know how Lamb is. He'll take what he can get.
[User Picture]
From:xxxaimsxxx
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:12 am (UTC)
(Link)
First off, go all the random reappearances! Beaver, Dick, Gia, Jackie, Cliff!

You know, if that's all Super Huge Deputy was going to do, we really could have lived without his scene last week. We're accustomed to the fact that the deputies are nice to Veronica and do her favors. I would have bought an extra line of retroactive exposition in return from him this episode. Oh, well. Got to explain things to the non-obsessives.

But then you would have complained about the random, thrown-in deputy who just happened to be there to help Veronica.

Their relationship is so goddamn complicated because keeping secrets is just second nature to them.

More like first nature!

But I thought they were just going to leave him hanging.

I so didn't read this as literal hanging at first, but then I did and laughed at myself.


Oh! Random Terrence Cook/Ms. Dumass connection. Huh. From a random adultery case. I don't know what to make of it, and I don't know what to make of Lamb's random accusation of Terrence. Except that I wonder if it has to do with his not settling his gambling debts.


So much "random". But you know it won't be as random once the season's over. I'm not sure if I love the way that everybody is completely tied to many other central characters. It's almost a little too house of cards. I know that everything has to be tied together and it's brilliantly done, but is it too much? I want to know what you think.

[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ha! Your icon is so awesome. They actually gave him a name last episode: Coach Preppernau. But half the fun was trying to guess his name!
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
JANE!

That's all I have to say.
[User Picture]
From:waitaminute17
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
I too thought Lord of the Bling was a good titled. Puns! spectralbovine, either you and I were twins separated at birth that still share a brain or you are my soul mate. Stupid whiteness.
[User Picture]
From:spadada
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You got an icon!
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:February 2nd, 2006 06:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
I loved that Weevil got ousted. Well, not really, but now I'm having fantasies of Weevil working with Logan and Veronica and they'll be all mystery-solving and snarking at one another!

It'll be great!

His tattoos freak me out a bit, though.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:February 2nd, 2006 07:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
I loved this epi. It made me all happy and bouncy.

There wasn't enough Keith/Veronica fallout, though I find it interesting that Keith didn't mention that he totally already knew about the bug. Their relationship is so goddamn complicated because keeping secrets is just second nature to them.

This was the only thing that bothered me actually. I thought things would be dramatically different between them, but I guess I like that they're subtly trying to repair the trust between them. Keith not admitting he knew about the bug was still strange to me though. But, I suppose he has his reasons. Keith is smarter than me – I should learn not to question the man I guess. Heh.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:mutinousmuse
Date:February 2nd, 2006 08:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes! More Jackie love!

*feels a little less alone in the universe*

In the event that your Jackie love makes like a Chia Pet, truemyth is starting a "Yay Jackie!" comm (not sure if it has an official name yet), so you may want to check that out. :)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Whoa whoa! This isn't Jackie love. This is lack of Jackie hate. There's a difference!

But I know about the comm, and now I will feel a little less dirty pimping it.
[User Picture]
From:holly96
Date:February 2nd, 2006 08:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
Whee! I'm feeling very bubbly after this episode. THANK GOODNESS! The show needed that nearly as much as the fandom.

The title of this post is now probably one of my top...twenty, at least...VM quotes ever.

I also liked "You know a good lawyer?" "I know...a lawyer." Hee.

I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't know it was going to happen so soon: I...didn't hate Jackie this episode.

Me neither. I don't think I ever disliked her as much as other people did, but with one episode she appears to be growing on me. And I totally didn't pick up on her being in on the whole thing. That was a good surprise.

Also, I like Gia. She amuses me.

Me, too!

Loved the Lars karaoke continuity.

I was laughing hysterically. That was awesome.

Because it was Cervando. Cervando, I say!

Hee. You make me giggle. But I agree, something has to be up with Cervando.

I'm not sure how, but I feel like this is one of the best episodes of the season.

This is how I feel. It was weird. Like, I totally wasn't expecting it. But there it was! And I'm happy!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Like, the whole episode, I was like, "Am I allowed to be loving the episode this much? I mean, I actually liked last week's! Does my opinion even matter anymore?!" It definitely took me by surprise, it being this good.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:February 2nd, 2006 12:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I haven't coherently processed beyone the "whoo hoo - now this is a Veronica Mars episode!" theme that keeps playing in my mind. I really enjoyed the episode and the layering of the arcs. And I agree - Thumper didn't kill Felix. But great moving along of the arcs, we get Logan talking about missing Duncan (thank you), this week the scenes with Logan and Weevil sparked (unlike the blahness of last week's scenes), we get Curly info, bus crash info, and Terence Cook whahuh moment. Great episode!

Completely agree on random huge bouncer guy. I like the way that although I knew the whole scam would be all twisted, I didn't know exactly how it would twist.

I'm bouncing with excitement that the show is on track again.
[User Picture]
From:beardoggx
Date:February 2nd, 2006 12:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Awesome episode. Some twists in the two major cases this season.

Felix's murder-Weevil loses his wheels, loses his leadership, loses his gang, so he's now all alone, except for Logan and Veronica.

So Thumper killed Felix or knows who did, but Weevil can't call him on it, as Thumper has the video of Weevil beating the shit out of Curly Moran(the guy who beached with VM's name on his hand) on his phone. horsefacehannah, I think that Weevil that's all Weevil did and someone else killed Curly later on.

Bus Crash-So Woody told his daughter, Gia, to go back to school from the stadium in the limo. And Jackie's dad, Terrence, is now the prime suspect. Hmmm........

Continuity galore= Stuff on a cell phone that people don't want seen("M.A.D."); Jane(the girl with the broken leg from "Driver Ed"); Sneaking into the evidence room to take audiotapes of the interrogations("Silence of the Lamb"); Wallace's dad; The deputy from last episode helping Veronica clearing Wallace's name. There's probably at least one other thing I've missed.

Best part of all: NO DUNCAN!! And Veronica has returned to being the girl we know and love.

From bluehyacinth's post on veronica_mars: I also found that I felt sorry for Molly, sitting alone at her table and with a murdered boyfriend she cannot mourn openly.

I agree with that. It is similiar to Weevil about Lilly's death. Weevil was in love with Lilly(whether Lilly reciprocated isn't the issue), yet couldn't mourn openly without being questioned.

Going back to last episode, where Weevil found that Felix was getting a tattoo with Molly's name, it was similiar to Weevil getting a tattoo with Lilly's name. I think someone else mentioned this point, but I don't remember who did.

Episode score: 10/10
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love this show for so often hiding setups so you don't even realize they were setups until you hit the payoff. It makes the extremely awkward setups ("Hi! I am a random deputy who will randomly give you access to a random club in the future! Now, back to your regularly scheduled episode.") that much more annoying.
Yeah, that was an awkward one. It had you sitting there from the moment it happened, wondering precisely when and how she'd be using him. And then when he's in the previouslies, you know that this is the week she'll be doing it.

Still can't stand Jackie. I disagree that she ought to be pissed off at Wallace. But I wasn't infuriated with her at the frat party, because it was obvious to me that she was helping Wallace in some way. My first thought was that she was going to use Rashard's ego to lure him into confessing or slipping up and saying something incriminating.

I love that Naima popped up again.

"A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum Suites." Ahahahahaha. Perfect.

I picked up on the ref as soon as she started saying it, but was confused about why she was saying it, because I'd forgotten that they were headed for Forum Suites until she got to the word "Suites." Good stuff.

I'm with you on wondering how Veronica justifies all the other unethical eavesdropping she's done but flips out at the idea of bugging a confessional. I guess it's because of the whole God thing.

I'm also a little confused about how Weevil is not dead. Those guys would totally have killed him if he weren't a main character on the show.

I liked the way Logan was written and played this week. He seemed...tired. His whole attitude and face seemed sadder, more sedate. I think a lot of it had to do with losing Duncan, and it's nice how the way he's feeling came through so quietly. Especially in the scene where he and Weevil are being "sneaky." Hee.

That chocolate cake looked ridiculously delicious.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:February 2nd, 2006 01:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love them being "sneaky." "Surely, no one one will notice us in the Hut, a place neither of us EVER GO, sitting within TWO FEET OF EACH OTHER, and make the connection that we are WORKING TOGETHER!"

And yeah, the PCHers are weak, dude. Weevil got off easy.

I wouldn't have liked the chocolate cake because I don't like coconut except raw.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com