?

Log in

Earth Boys Are Easy - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

January 3rd, 2006


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:25 am - Earth Boys Are Easy
Three episodes on Saturday. Fourteen episodes on Sunday. Five episodes today. This is how I conquered the final season of Farscape.

I don't think season four was awful or nearly as sucky as I feared it might be. But there were a lot of little things, as well some big little things, to complain about, as I'll expound upon.

"Crichton Kicks" is probably the weakest of all four season openers. I liked Sikozu immediately because I like hot redheads with accents. Plus she can walk on walls, which is cool. It bugged me that Chiana's future visions, which they never bothered to explain, magically turned into present visions that leave her temporarily blind for no apparent reason. Well, it's convenient for the plot, but that's no excuse. She also seemed kind of off in this episode. And how do the DRDs know the 1812 Overture? And why is Ben Browder showing off his ass?

"Sacrifice"/"Resurrection" were also weak. Why is this silly Old Woman still hanging around with them? What's the point of all this Triforce business that never gets mentioned again? Why is Grayza controlling men with her breast secretions? What the hell kind of outfit is that for an authority figure? What is the importance of "Snerkan" or whatever the magic Peacekeeper code word is? Why is D'Argo kissing Jool? The best thing about the whole deal was that they got rid of Jool. It all seemed like an excuse to make them all Peacekeeper outlaws again.

"Lava's a Many Splendored Thing" was all right. The pulse weapon shield moment of "Why don't we have those?" was very much a, "YES. WHY NOT??" If these goons have them, surely they can't be that hard to acquire. Could've been useful over the years! The Noranti dance was very bizarre. The male henchmen were stereotypically drooling, and it just felt so beneath the show, like the weird girl-power-facing-camera kick in the last episode. But thank the Lords of Kobol we didn't have to see Noranti's chest. And Sikozu is smart, which is another reason she's better than Jool. But does vomit really contain DNA? I mean, I guess bodily fluids might contain trace amounts from the skin sloughed off, but it doesn't feel scientifically sound.

"Promises." Finally, a good episode. Aeryn returns! And apparently she did go out and be an assassin? I mean, she did say that's what she was going to do, but it doesn't sound like her. Running around killing people because people tell her to? They have a word for that, Aeryn: Peacekeeper. But ooh, Scorpius. Just chillin' on Moya. Huh. Shades of Crais, yes, although Crais quickly stole Talyn and ditched them, whereas Scorpius hangs with them all season. And check out Sikozu with the knowledge! See, she's actually useful. Unlike, say, Jool. How could you possibly miss Jool, Pilot? What is wrong with you? And why are you now all of a sudden asking for one spokesperson? It's not like you don't just do what Crichton says anyway.

The title of "Natural Election" implies the episode will actually focus on this conflict, but it doesn't, so much. Instead it's about pregnancy gossip and a metal-eating plant. Also, as annoying as Noranti is (I can't get over how freaking freaky she looks), she proves herself useful quite a bit. I was kind of surprised Crichton didn't win the election, though I knew it would be either him or D'Argo. But again, this whole plotline turns out to be pointless anyway.

Oh, "John Quixote." What have you been smoking, Ben Browder? And why did no one say, "Sorry, but your princess is in another castle"? Virtual reality games are fun, though, and it was nice to see Gilina again for a bit, since she's cute. And I thought of glumpish with the Max Headroom reference. But WTF Stark? Stark can do this? Go away, Stark. And oh no, not drugs! STAY AWAY FROM THE MAGICRACK, JOHN!!

"I Shrink Therefore I Am" was a pretty good retread of the old "villains aboard the ship" plot. And I mean, it's fun when characters get shrunk! I liked Sikozu's disbelief that she was shrunk because of the various ways it was scientifically impossible. She's kind of like Saffron with a dash of Jool. A hot, smart, smug redhead who's just a teeny bit annoying at times. I like the uneasy, but necessary, alliance with Scorpius. And ooh, Scarran. They sure seem to be important these days.

"A Prefect Murder" was not so hot. The whole "Let's show the same ten minutes from different perspectives" was pointless and repetitive and annoying. And how can there be a planet without bugs? Bugs are everywhere! Also, this is the evil Tormented Space Aeryn was so gloomy about? Um, okay.

"Coup by Clam" at least had an amusingly inventive plot. Those crazy clams. And what's a television show without at least one episode with your star in drag? But we really didn't need to see Noranti peeing. And I was surprised to discover that the mechanic was a woman impersonating a man because...I thought she was a woman to begin with. Scorpius's clam-eating sacrifice was interesting in that, well...it's not like any of them would have held it against him if they'd died. Maybe he was just really trying to fit in. Well, he didn't want John to die, but he could have conceivably let Aeryn die. Well, okay, if he saved John, then John would have asked him why he didn't save Aeryn too, and he would have killed him. Ta da.

And the season finally kicks into gear with "Unrealized Reality." A fun and interesting mindfuck about those crazy wormholes and the wonders of space-time. The various unrealized realities were very cool, and I liked the technique of having interview-style comments about Crichton, especially when they awesomely shoved Einstein's words into everyone's mouths at the end. Really well done. And damn, what a cliffhanger. I had no idea there was going to be one since it wasn't labelled as a Part 1.

"Kansas" tries to be a nice little Back to the Future-type romp, and it does have a lot of little things going for it, but in the end, especially after the next episode, it feels like annoyingly pointless filler. Some of the fish-out-of-water comedy worked, and some didn't. Aeryn watching Sesame Street was classic. So adorable. "This girl is slow!" Crichton getting to drink milk was nice, and as a milk drinker, I totally understand. Also nice for him to get to talk to his mother again. And of course, we have to mention Karen Shaw. How frelled is it that Crichton lost his virginity to Chiana? I remembered the name from "Losing Time," but apparently it was mentioned as early as "That Old Black Magic," before Chiana was even a glimmer in the writers' eyes. They totally got lucky picking a name that could be misheard from "Chiana." Also, nice to see that Braca's still loyal to Scorpius. I think I read somewhere on b.org that Scorpius had a beagle or something named Braca, and I waited a long time for a dog to show up, and it was only this season that I realized what they meant. And again, what a cliffhanger. Again, no idea. And a very nice callback to "A Human Reaction," which is fast becoming one of my favorite episodes now that I see how utterly pivotal it is to the entire series, my initial reaction to the "plot twist" a thing of the past.

"Terra Firma" kinda rocks. I couldn't believe Crichton actually got to return home. This is, like, the moment we've been waiting for. Don't screw it up. And they didn't. It was not "A Human Reaction," but it felt just as believable and real. Especially because Caroline showed up, just as I expected her to way back then! I'm glad John got to, for real this time, see that he can never return home permanently. He's changed too much. It doesn't get a whole lot of time devoted to it during the series, but I really like the relationship between Crichton and his dad. And I was so afraid the Skreeth was going to kill Jack or Olivia. Killing D.K. and his wife wasn't good either, but it was more acceptable since they were recently being asses.

"Twice Shy" was like the fifty billionth episode about some apparently harmless thing wreaking havoc on Moya. STOP BRINGING STUFF ONTO THE FRELLING SHIP. It wasn't bad, but it was very Been There Done That A LOT. You know, they never really did do much with the relationship between Sikozu and Scorpius. Like, okay, she's the only one who'll give him the time of day on the ship, for whatever reason, but nothing really comes of it. And oh criminy, I totally didn't buy John's explanation that he was taking the drugs to forget Aeryn so that Scorpius wouldn't use her as a bargaining chip to get his wormhole technology. Because for starters, it was pretty clear that he really was hung up on Aeryn and he wanted the drugs to take away his pain. And I thought Scorpius made it pretty clear that he didn't want the wormhole tech for himself; he just wanted to keep it from the Scarrans. He even said he came to Moya to protect him. And Scorpy, he's a pretty straightforward guy. I can't think of times before that he's outright lied. Also, Aeryn is a bargaining chip regardless of whether or not they still have feelings for each other. It bugged me and rang false and made John seem like an ass. A paranoid ass.

What is "Mental as Anything" even doing in this season? It feels like a season one episode. I mean, do we really have time to be revisiting D'Argo's sordid past? Does the revelation that his wife's death was somewhat of an accident really matter at this point? What's with all this hyperrage/blackout stuff when I don't think we've ever actually seen D'Argo go into hyperrage? What's the point of putting all this unnecessary angst on D'Argo if he didn't kill his wife? That would have been an astonishingly evil revelation.

Hey, "Bringing Home the Beacon." Space politics? What is this, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace? Good episode, though, and Crichton's crazy beacon/baby business at the end was nicely played. Poor crazy paranoid Crichton. He's down to his last nerve. I mean, being chased by various alien races for the knowledge in your head that could destroy the galaxy has got to be bad enough without the personal Aeryn angst.

I really liked "A Constellation of Doubt." Loved the style of it, and I loved all the videos and different reactions to the videos. So human, so real, so disparate. One thing bugged me, however: WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY ALL SPEAKING PERFECT ENGLISH? Aeryn, I can buy because she'd been trying to learn it. Sikozu I can buy because she's smart and picked up the language from Crichton. Chiana clearly knew several basic words in "Kansas." But there is no fucking way D'Argo knew how to say "ad nauseum." I have to fanwank that the tapes were dubbed by people with translator microbes. And they got people to impeccably impersonate the voices. Disregarding that, however, a great episode and a highlight of the season. The ending was pretty killer, though for Crichton to claim that he cares for only Aeryn, period, kind of shits on D'Argo and Chiana and Pilot and everyone else I thought he cared about.

"Prayer" was all right, though the constant fakeouts as to the identity of Aeryn's child's father got annoying. Also, Scarrans: HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU LEARN WORMHOLE TECHNOLOGY FROM CRICHTON'S CHILD'S MOTHERFUCKING FETAL DNA?! THAT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. YOU MUST ACQUIT. The adventures on Bizarro Moya were nice, and, aw, Crichton doesn't like killing people. Sometimes.

Here comes "We're So Screwed," which is apparently too raunchy a title for 6:45 on BBC. "Fetal Attraction" is a nice little episode, except I had trouble believing that no one recognized any of them. These guys are practically legendary now, with numerous bounties having been placed on them. I guess you can argue that their exploits haven't reached the Tormented Space, but do they really expect me to believe that this high-ranking Scarran military officer doesn't know what Scorpius and John Crichton look like? Funnily enough, at the end my thought process went something like this: "But they're living Scorpius behind! Why don't they go back and get him?! Wait a sec...why indeed, Sunil. Why indeed." Except of course I don't actually think in "indeed"s. Usually.

"Hot to Katratzi" begins by asking me to accept the fact that Crichton can apparently make a nuclear bomb. Okay. Um. See, that could have come in handy last year when you wanted to blow up the Command Carrier. Or when you were trying to destroy the Dreadnought. But once you get past that, it's a very fun plan! Interesting to watch them go back and forth between the Scarrans and the Peacekeepers, while the rest of the crew employed the age-old trick of turning two peoples against each other by implying that they're secretly out to get each other.

"La Bomba" led to an inevitable conclusion. I knew they'd end up nuking those silly flowers, which...sure, magic flowers. And seriously, Scorpius, did you really think the mother plant would just be completely vulnerable? You're usually so much smarter. But go Braca on the not-so-hostile takeover! And Crichton, you just nuked a base full of innocent people. Remember last year, when you actually let people get out? Initially, I thought the, "Oh, we should have voted" scene was amusing, but on further reflection, it's...really not. He just dropped the nuke down, giving no thought to his or anyone else's survival.

There were a lot of little things in the trilogy that kept it from being awesome. Sikozu suddenly having heat-probe hands, a rotating eye, and magic Scarran-killing radiation was kind of random. And Scorpius's twisty-turny loyalties are so byzantine as to be...something ridiculous. I'm glad they didn't actually make him a Scarran spy because it would have made NO FUCKING SENSE. And then...Stark. And the bioloid Stark has the magic light powers? What-the-fuck-ever. I can see why people complain about S4. It's not like it sucks or anything, but there are all these things that don't seem up to the usual standard. The big shit in S2 and S3 went catastrophic in entirely believable and awesome ways.

One little retcon that kind of works is the revelation that Stark had been on Katratzi. Because that means Bizarro Stark was probably channeling him.

Finally, "Bad Timing." Ooh, it's like the "Gift" montage! And now it's time to save the planet Earth, because Scarrans are so impetuous and gullible as to believe that this Earthman knows exactly what their magic flower is and is totally confident that whatever similar plant he has on his home planet is genetically identical and thus has the same IQ-boosting powers. Aww, John's recording next season's opening credits voiceover. I liked Crichton's crazy plan because, under the assumption that there's no other wormhole close to Earth, he's pretty much resolving never to go home again, which is sad because he'd just figured out how to harness the power of wormholes so he could come back and visit every now and then. Season Five could have been like a total Doctor Who ripoff. Jack could be Rose's mum, and Caroline could be Mickey. And aw, Pilot. Who can see pressure bubbles for some reason. And oh man. Loved the scene between Crichton and his dad. I don't care if you think it's overly sentimental and sappy. It was great.

Then, the end. It took me this long to realize that John and Aeryn are like Sydney and Vaughn. Yeah, maybe the scene's a bit too sweet, but I enjoyed the amusing misinterpretations by the peanut gallery. And then out of nowhere some alien comes in and disintegrates the happy couple.

WHAT THE FRELLING HELL?!

I mean, I know they have to come back for the mini, but that's a fucking ballsy way to end when you know you're cancelled. It's at this point that I ask one of you oldbies to tell me all about this cancellation business. When it happened, why it happened, when did they know, what was the big deal, etc. Did they have any sort of hope for anything after? How/why did the miniseries get made? The Farscape fandom story is one of those big ones you keep hearing about, so, now that I know what everyone was fighting for, give me details!

OKAY IT'S TIME TO WATCH THE MINI—HEY WHOSE BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO WAIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE MINISERIES TO GIVE THE END OF THE SERIES PROPER TIME TO BREATHE?!?! OH WAIT IT WAS MINE.
Current Mood: accomplishedaccomplished
Current Music: Smash Mouth - Walkin' on the Sun (Remix)
Tags: ,

(35 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:jonquil
Date:January 3rd, 2006 05:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
They scripted "Bad Timing" before they knew they were cancelled; they were already shooting retakes (cofax7 will know details) by the time the news came down.
[User Picture]
From:sadiekate
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:02 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hee, you are mainlining this like ... whatever drugs you mainline I don't know, I've never done drugs what why are you looking at me like that stop?

And why is Ben Browder showing off his ass?

Funny. During most epsidoes I ask myself, "And why ISN'T Ben Browder showing off his ass?"
[User Picture]
From:debetesse
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:03 am (UTC)
(Link)
And how do the DRDs know the 1812 Overture? And why is Ben Browder showing off his ass?

Because Crickton taught it to them.
Because he can. Dude, have some understanding for the other half of the audience.

Why is this silly Old Woman still hanging around with them?

No frelling idea



So...you like Sikozu? Is that what I am to understand?

Chiana's scene with the make-up is one of my favourite things in the entire series.

And the common term for what Aeryn and John were at the end is "skittles"
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
So...you like Sikozu? Is that what I am to understand?

I like her generally, and it helps that she's a hot redhead with an accent. I don't think they did enough with her character, but I liked the fact that she was smart, and I enjoyed the conflicts between what she knew from her knowledge and what she actually experienced.

Chiana's scene with the make-up is one of my favourite things in the entire series.

Heh.

And the common term for what Aeryn and John were at the end is "skittles"

Ha ha ha ha. TASTE THE PAINBOW RAINBOW!
[User Picture]
From:debetesse
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:24 am (UTC)
(Link)
I think they likely would have done more with her had they had more time. Much like YoSafBridge

IIRC, the Chiana scene was shot right after they found out about the cancellation.

Ah, inter-fandom.
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
LOL --you're so cute.

Okay, so they announced the cancellation a few weeks after Unrealized Reality aired. It was the last week of shooting for Season 4, and they were actually shooting pickups for Constellation of Doubt. (The last scene ever shot for the show was Aeryn making a tuna sandwich -- you can see they forgot CB's wig, cause her hair is suddenly short.) They still had lots to do, of course, and so there was much runnign about finishing up production.

I don't think I can do justice to describing what happened with the campaign. Suffice it to say that a great many people went temporarily insane (myself included). When the show came back after the hiatus, after the cancellation was announced, for the 2nd half of season 4, there was a lot of pressure put on ratings. Which didn't pay off. Eventually after the most insane fan campaign ever (seriously: nobody'd ever done anything the scale of SFS), some mystery investors got on board with Henson and Hallmark to fund the mini, which aired 2 full years after the cancellation was announced.

And yes, they'd already shot the jujubes scene: DK loves his crackaddled season-enders. It's clear from seeing the mini that a lot of the threads in S4 were meant to be picked up in S5. Also, they had a lot of staffing problems in S4: they were short writers, and the XPs were working overtime doing rewrites and stuff. They were under pressure from the network to make the show more attractive to casual viewers, but they didn't want to go that way. And DK was committed to keeping the baby storyline going (sigh).

Season 4 made me very cranky, although it contains some of my all-time favorite eps (Terra Firma, UR, JQ). Some of the rest are stupid filler, and Mental As Anything was SO DUMB. Wasted, esp. since they claimed they'd run out of time to do the promised backstory on Aeryn's Summer Vacation. I thought Constellatino of Doubt was all flash and little substance, except for the brilliant scene with Scorpius at the end: Browder broke my heart there, into many little pieces.

Anyway, they totally could have changed the end of BT if they'd wanted to. But DK refused: I think he figured it would fire up the fandom even more and give him some leverage. He may have been right.
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:16 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, and I have a post-mortem on S4. I expect it's indexed in my memories. Many people in the fandom got pissed off at me about it. Whatever. Oh, wait, here.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
Damn. You know what, I pretty much agree with everything you said in there. Very well said. I can see how the fandom would get pissed at you, though. It's different to read now than it would have been then.

Tell me this, then...is the miniseries better?
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, I think it is. It's jam-packed and there's lots of handwaved plot issues, and a few things that don't make a lot of sense. But the flaws are, well, classic Farscape flaws. The things that are wrong, well, are wrong in the way the Farscape would get things wrong. And there are some absolutely marvelous bits, and some totally crackaddled bits. It's great fun, and sad, and stuffed full of knotted-off plot threads from season 4.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 01:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, regarding Sikozu: is she a bioloid? I thought she said she was merely genetically enhanced.
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 03:38 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Nope, she's totally a bioloid. It doesn't make much sense: please to not think about it too much.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
LOL --you're so cute.

And you're pretty!

Eventually after the most insane fan campaign ever (seriously: nobody'd ever done anything the scale of SFS), some mystery investors got on board with Henson and Hallmark to fund the mini, which aired 2 full years after the cancellation was announced.

That's kind of amazing. No one knows who funded the miniseries? How much did it cost?

Also, they had a lot of staffing problems in S4: they were short writers

I noticed that I didn't recognize most of the names of writers.

They were under pressure from the network to make the show more attractive to casual viewers, but they didn't want to go that way.

Sounds like VM this season. Which kind of confuses me because they've made the show even more arc-intensive.

Mental As Anything was SO DUMB. Wasted, esp. since they claimed they'd run out of time to do the promised backstory on Aeryn's Summer Vacation.

Aw, dammit. I might have been more accepting of Aeryn's assassination vacation if I could have seen it in more than fake flashbacks.

I thought Constellatino of Doubt was all flash and little substance

I disagree, but I also like flash. Except I think there was substance there as well.

But DK refused: I think he figured it would fire up the fandom even more and give him some leverage. He may have been right.

That psycho! You crazy 'Scapers.
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
No one knows who funded the miniseries? How much did it cost?

Well, someone does, but it's certainly not public knowledge. Cost? I think I heard $20M, but frankly I've forgotten a lot. It was a lot of money, because they had to rebuild all the sets and fly people back, and all.

Froon (Ricky Manning) only officially wrote 2 eps in S4, but he did lots and lots of rewrites. As did DK, I suspect, although I don't know for sure.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, by the way, thanks to you, I caught the Froonium in-joke in "Revenging Angel." Hee.

What about Rockne S. O'Bannon? Didn't he do anything?

$20 million dollars is a crapload of money to raise. Those Enterprise folks only managed to get three.
[User Picture]
From:cofax7
Date:January 3rd, 2006 07:31 am (UTC)
(Link)
Rockne didn't write any of Season 4, but he and DK cowrote the miniseries. Froon wasn't involved in the mini. (Rockne also wrote a short story set many years after the end of the show that was so appallingly bad some of us thought it was a joke. I've tried to forgive him for this, but it's hard, since he considers it canon.)

The fans didn't raise the $20M, the investors did. The fan campaign probably raised about a quarter-million, though, over the year-plus it was going. It was mostly spent on marketing efforts, either ad buys or purchases of dvd sets for libraries and to send to the troops. It's kind of hard to keep track, since there were lots of different projects, and not all of them went through SaveFarscape.
[User Picture]
From:shipperx
Date:January 3rd, 2006 07:15 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, please, more info. I only read a small excerpt of it on the BBC site, but in my (admittedly vague) memory, that excerpt contains a character who shouldn't be there. Are there continuity errors involved?
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
Aw, I didn't know you were a 'Scaper.

Is that the proper name for you people?
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:January 3rd, 2006 06:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, Season 4. It doesn't help that I just watched what could have been the last episode of Arrested Development. Stupid Sci-fi. Stupid Fox.

"No, HBO won't help us. It's Showtime!"
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:January 3rd, 2006 08:29 am (UTC)

Thought you might like this:

(Link)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
[User Picture]
From:truemyth
Date:January 3rd, 2006 08:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
"She [Chiana] also seemed kind of off in this episode."
Well, she had just been ganged raped and all. That was the implication.
"And why is Ben Browder showing off his ass?"
Because it's hot. On the TWoP Farscape thread, we call S4 the "Season of Crichton's Ass." My latest convert even ran a VM fanfic contest about leather pants because she liked Crichton's so much. *points to pimp icon.*

"Triforce business that never gets mentioned again?"
Heh... you should stop calling dropped plot threads on this show. You still have four more hours...
"What the hell kind of outfit is that for an authority figure?"
Good question. But apparently the first costume they made was all black and up to her neck. And she looked like a floating head on set. It's still a bit extreme. But she kicks ass anyways.

Re: Unrealize Realities: "And damn, what a cliffhanger."
If you didn't know, that's what they left us on for a four month hiatus and then... one week in... cancelled the show. Fuckers. ((Yeah, you know now because someone beat me to explaining. But I'm leaving this in because I like chances to call SciFi fuckers. Look, I did it again!))

"It bugged me and rang false and made John seem like an ass. A paranoid ass."
Yeah. The kiss at the end of this episode was sweet, but I kept waiting for the real reason for the rest of the season. And come on, John... everybody you've ever friggin' met in the Uncharteds knows you lub Aeryn. You wear it on your frelling sleeve. And Scorpy's a genius. That explanation sucked.

"What is "Mental as Anything" even doing in this season?"
Stinking up the place? Seriously. I consider it the worst episode of Farscape.
"we've ever actually seen D'Argo go into hyperrage?"
We did actually. At the beginning of "Jeremiah Crichton," I believe.

"But go Braca on the not-so-hostile takeover!"
Braca will end up the ruler of the universe. I have no doubt.

"OKAY IT'S TIME TO WATCH THE MINI—HEY WHOSE BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO WAIT A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE MINISERIES TO GIVE THE END OF THE SERIES PROPER TIME TO BREATHE?!?! OH WAIT IT WAS MINE."
Hee. Does this mean you watched the mini or stood by your guns?

(P.s. Sorry to spam your e-mail, the tags were driving me crazy)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 01:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
My guns have been stood by!
[User Picture]
From:_jems_
Date:January 3rd, 2006 08:39 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, season 4 has some of the show's best episodes and some real clunkers. And the best series finale ever. Seriously, I kinda adore that ending, and I caught up just in time for it, so I had to wait two years for The Peacekeeper Wars, just like everyone else.

Farscape was pretty much set for season 4 and 5 before 4 even got underway (I looked it up and it was renewed for two seasons after season 3), which is why I think that season 4 feels like it lacks follow-through. Or, at least, that's why I hope it lacks follow-through. The mini picks up some of the threads, but you can't really do an entire season justice in just four hours.

As for Sikozu and my fascination with her... I think a lot of it really crystalized in the mini (you should see my entry on it, about 90% of it is dedicated to Scorpius and Sikozu. And they're not in it that much), but really it's mostly that I enjoy her motivations, her machinations and her mysteries and I would have loved to have found out more about her.

And really, aside from John, Aeryn and Pilot, there's no one that I love in a character sense (as people, sure, but as characters I want to know more about? Not so much). D'Argo is a big lug (he's nice and all, but it's really not my thing), Zhaan is spiritual and mysterious and kinda vicious (also not my thing), Rygel is mean-spirited and petty and kind of an ass (totally my thing! But he doesn't exactly have unplumbed depths. Also? He's a puppet! Erm, let's just forget the fact that Pilot's a puppet too), Jool annoys me something fierce, Scorpius is the bad guy, Crais might have nabbed the number four spot if he hadn't died just as he was getting interesting, Stark is fun in small doses, but really hard to take for extended periods of time and Chiana... Well, this is going to sound completely shallow, but her speech and movements annoy me. So Sikozu it is.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 3rd, 2006 01:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Chiana's speech and movements annoyed me at first, but I got used to it. And I adore the way Gigi Edgley says "frell."

And hey! Why does being the bad guy disqualify Scorpius? He's awesome!
[User Picture]
From:_jems_
Date:January 3rd, 2006 03:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It's the breathy quality that drives me to distraction.

The reason it disqualifies Scorpy is that we were discussing my favorite characters. Much as Scorpy may interest me, he'll never be a favorite.
[User Picture]
From:shipperx
Date:January 3rd, 2006 07:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The most frustrating thing about the miniseries is that I think you can see the bare bones outline of Season 5, and I would rather have seen Season 5 develop those things in depth. The mini always seems to go by like light speed. I forgive that because, what else could they do? But I would have preferred that they had an entire season to develop everything rather than just a couple of hours.
[User Picture]
From:maidofawesome
Date:January 3rd, 2006 10:01 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I've never seen Farscape, so... *looks blank* But today I was typing up something boring and there was someone on my spreadsheet called Sunil Patel. Very exciting. I expect it wasn't you, unless you once sold fraudulent goods in England.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 4th, 2006 12:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
Fuck! You caught me!
[User Picture]
From:imwalde
Date:January 4th, 2006 01:09 am (UTC)
(Link)
Ah, Farscape, the cancellation that broke my heart.

As people have mentioned, it was renewed for 2 seasons at the end of season 3. By all accounts, arcs were plotted, planning to end thm at the end of season 5. Soon into season 4, Sci-Fi decided to can it. The suits sat on that info, though, until shooting wrapped, blind-siding the cast/crew and thus leaving the excruciating cliffhanger and lots of things not tied up. (That was part of what made me SO angry -- on some level I understand that it's a business and that if the ratings aren't there, the show is going to be cancelled, but SF didn't even care to warn the writers so they could scramble to try to change their plan and wrap somethings up. Frellniks!)

I was involved in this campaign like I had never been involved in fandom before. Like many, many others, I wrote letters to Sci-Fi. I (we) wrote letters to other channels. I wrote letters to Farscape's sponsors. I sent crackers to Sci-Fi, with the slogan "Crackers DO matter!" to Sci-Fi. We crashed their server and their phone system, so we sent flowers to Sci-Fi's secretaries and mailroom workers at the NYC HQ. People chipped in to buy DVD sets to send to libraries and military rec centers, and to take out ads in trade magazines. It was CRAZY organized.

As for season 4, there are episodes I really like, and I think it ends well, but mostly I'm vaguely unsatisfied. (Mental as Anything is pretty much universally despised, incidentally.) There are many things that I wish had gotten more attention, and which might have in season 5, but are ignored. There was heavy network interference, as I recall. There was pressure to make it more stand-alone episode, less arc heavy (which is true for most of the first half). There was also a mandate to introduce the characters one by one, not the whole cast at once. So Crichton Kicks through Promises is how they responded to that demand.

I for one love the mini-series, but after 2 years of Folgers Crystals (what the TWoP Farscape thread called the Skittles), I was prepared to love ANYTHING.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 4th, 2006 01:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
Heeee 1812 icon.

The campaign sounds great. I think it was an example to the fandoms that followed, judging by what I've seen.

So everyone hates "Mental as Anything." But everyone (even the people who made it!) also hates "Jeremiah Crichton," and I didn't think it was all that bad. What are the most-hated episodes in the fandom? What are the most loved? I wonder how my opinions generally align since I didn't have much of a bias for most episodes.

I'm eager to watch the miniseries, and I don't know if I can hold out until Saturday. I still haven't downloaded it in order to keep myself from watching it. I have other things to do, and BSG comes back Friday!
[User Picture]
From:imwalde
Date:January 4th, 2006 07:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, Jeremiah Crichton was a different, infinitely preferable kind of bad. It's fluffy fun cheese and can be enjoyed as such, like Inca Mummy Girl or Teacher's Pet. At least there's some fun involved. Mental as Anything was just baaaaad, like, NO ONE enjoyed it, and in some ways, I feel like they should have known better by that point, while JC you can chalk up to rookiness.

Best loved is easier to answer. I generalize of course, but off the top of my head, I'd say the most popular are: Out of Their Minds, Crackers Don't Matter, The Way We Weren't, A Human Reaction, Nerve/Hidden Memory, Won't Get Fooled Again, Liars,Guns,and Money trilogy/Die Me, Dichotomy, Unrealized Reality, Into the Lion's Den (1 and 2), Family Ties, Daedalus Demands/Icarus Abides, Terra Firma.

The general consensus seemed to be that the first episode that made people go Ohhh, I think we might have a show here was PK Tech Girl, and the first KAPOW episode was DNA Mad Scientist.

I, speaking for myself, dig shipper cheese like Meltdown and The Flax.

Least liked? Well, take your pick from the beginning of season 4, really. Also Taking the Stone gets mentioned a lot. I personally hate Vitas Mortis. Dream a Little Dream doesn't get much love.

I'm sure there are more/different answers, but that's what's coming to me at the moment.
[User Picture]
From:imwalde
Date:January 4th, 2006 07:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
When I think about Farscape the series as a whole, I think it is EXTREMELY analogous to Buffy. In my opinion, the following statements are equally true for both shows.

Season 1 -- enjoyable, promising beginning, with a few cheesy clunkers and low production values, but gets you deeply involved with the characters and the story. Season 2 -- starts a little slow, but achieves some series high points. Arc heavy and awesome towards the end. Season 3 -- one big glorious arc, with extremely consistent quality, perhaps the best season. Season 4 -- starts to slip a little but you go with it reeeeeeally wanting to like it. Finds its feet about halfway through, although the story has taken a bit of a different tack. Overall not as satisfying as preceding seasons.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:January 4th, 2006 01:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Well, it looks like I mostly agree. Those are the best and worst episodes!
[User Picture]
From:miniglik
Date:July 31st, 2006 07:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And why is Ben Browder showing off his ass?

Dude. You have to ask? (I see others have answered the question for you.)

Similarly...
it was nice to see Gilina again for a bit, since she's cute
My husband always mourns her passing. Hee.

I had more to say about this season, but my brain is now friend.
[User Picture]
From:miniglik
Date:July 31st, 2006 07:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Fried!!! Brain fried! See!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com