?

Log in

Xena in Spaaaaaaaace! - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

September 10th, 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:02 am - Xena in Spaaaaaaaace!
First order of business: by linking to these three posts, I have donated fifteen dollars to the Red Cross. Link to them in your own journal (and tell them so), and they will donate five dollars each. Props to chaodai for notifying me of them.

I was wary of tonight's BSG episode, even though I was excited to have it back after a week without it. The premise seemed too...dumb, I don't know. But oh my God. It was much better than I thought it would be.

As usual, let me just toss out some of the bad and get it out of the way. The Tigh-death-threat subplot was kind of meh, though it was kind of worth it for Starbuck's "Can I be a suspect again now? Please?" I also liked that the credits blipvert made it look like a gun was being pushed against Tigh's head, when in fact it was Tigh who did the pushing. Wait, we're talking about things I don't like. Like Ellen Tigh. Stop being in episodes. And I wish the Kat thing had been developed a little better (like, hello, it might have made that whole asteroid scene with the crappy CAG less pointless if we had seen Kat fucking up a little too). Also, the octagonal thing is cute, but dude, did you see the octagonal CD? How the fuck does that work? It won't spin, dammit! Finally, what the hell was up with Billy having three seconds of screentime and no dialogue?

I liked the different reactions to Biers's ever-present camera. Dualla's explaining technical terms; Apollo doesn't really give a fuck but is mindful; Baltar wants to feel important. I love Baltar. I totally identify with his insecurity. Love that his reaction to the alarm was, "Wait, no, cameras, don't go away! Dammit! Frakkin' Cylons." He's not the greatest guy in the world, no, but he's terribly entertaining.

We got first names for Dualla and Gaeta! And character development! Very nice. Really liked both those fleshings out, and the intercutting interview footage with the action at hand (and Christ, yet again I thought they were going to kill Kat, the way they were playing that interview footage). Though I wasn't liking her too much this episode, but then I forgave her because she was just pulling a Jessie Spano.

I loved that Apollo didn't lie to Biers's assy question about his pilots deserving special treatment. Yes, they do. Just like everybody else. I loved that Dualla answered Biers's quasi-humanoid question about things getting easier with, "No, ma'am. It gets harder." Even though it was predictable. I think it's the "ma'am" that makes it, though.

Also, WOW. That battle scene was fucking awesome. We'd never seen what a Cylon attack was like for the people not on the flippy ships, and this was an abso-motherfucking-lutely perfect way to do it. I couldn't make out all of what the pilots were saying, but Jesus Christ, I was tense. Especially because I wasn't sure we would ever cut to space, and then when I realized we weren't going to, I was afraid something was going to happen and we weren't going to see it, and oh my God. I can totally see how Dualla would respond with "It gets harder." Because you're on this big honkin' ship, completely powerless. It's all up to the pilots, and their transmissions are all you know.

Starbuck has never looked hotter than she did in that boxing scene. Sweet Jesus.

Where is Cally? Is Nicki Clyne off doing something? How hot is the name "Nicki Clyne"? How weird is it that she's younger than I am?

I love the Prez.

Apparently, the theme to the original series was playing over the final cut, and that made people teary. What made me teary was the voiceover, because sometimes I am a giant sap. The whole message about the people of Galatica being human and flawed, but always doing their best, is why I love this show and its characters. I love it so much when characters embrace their flaws, recognize that our flaws are just as important in creating who we are as our strengths.

And then we're in a theater. So the pilots are watch—wait, no, those are our favorite Cylons, I recognize their backs. How did they get this footage on Caprica? Can they just pluck it out of the ether? Whoa, that's new. Hold on a sec, how can they play the deleted footage? Where are they—HOLY FUCK.

Seriously, this show manages to surprise me more than any show I can recall, with the exception of VM. I should have suspected it, since I had heard Lucy Lawless was signed for more than one episode, so why was the doc already completed? I wonder what Cylon mischief she'll be up to in the future.

Also, this totally explains her leap of logic from "That looks like the late Lt. Valerii" to "Cylon!" Does no one think of the zombies anymore?
Current Mood: crankycranky
Current Music: Rose Polenzani - The Llama

(15 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 10th, 2005 05:56 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, sure they can spin, but not as well as something that is round, which you can place in a spin-friendly holder snugly. An octagonal disc would require a holder larger than the disc itself, which is, as you say, dopey and a bit wasteful.
(Deleted comment)
From:hobviously
Date:September 10th, 2005 11:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
Where is Cally?

Dude. 30 days in the brig.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 10th, 2005 02:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I know that! Why isn't anyone going to visit her, taking the camera along with them?
From:spiderchris
Date:September 10th, 2005 04:02 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Because she's psycho. Cutely so, though.
From:vandalisimo
Date:September 10th, 2005 04:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was a little bit bored for a good portion of it, but then it got exciting. Plus, Lucy Lawless is pretty hot.

Ellen is horrendous, it's true, but she also really reminds me of Six in the way that she relates to her hapless husband. Speaking of which, you know, Baltar is ok with me when he's on his own. Entertaining even. It's only when Six comes slithering around that he bugs me. Mostly because, how fucking stupid is this guy? Any guy should know that any woman who sexes you up in such an obvious and relentless manner while she's whispering in your ear and telling you to do something isn't to be trusted. But then again, maybe she's in his imagination or what the heck ever. Whatever it is, I need her to be exorcised. I like the other Six who hangs around with the Cylons and acts bitchy.

Apollo looks pretty good in a towel. Yes, he does. Also, it bodes well for me that guys liked Starbuck in that scene, as punching and kicking are my favorite forms of exercise. But, I think Starbuck is hot all the time.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 10th, 2005 04:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I think you're hot all the time.

OH SNA—wait.
[User Picture]
From:debetesse
Date:September 10th, 2005 04:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was just glad that we had confirmation that Billy wasn't dead (which was the impression I got from the conversation with Dee)
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:September 10th, 2005 05:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The Tigh-death-threat subplot was kind of meh

In the podcast, Moore calls it "television" kind of derisively, heh. He explains that although he feels you should be able to do an entirely character-driven episode, convention says you need an element of jeopardy -- hence the Tigh subplot.

Also, WOW. That battle scene was fucking awesome. We'd never seen what a Cylon attack was like for the people not on the flippy ships, and this was an abso-motherfucking-lutely perfect way to do it. I couldn't make out all of what the pilots were saying, but Jesus Christ, I was tense. Especially because I wasn't sure we would ever cut to space, and then when I realized we weren't going to, I was afraid something was going to happen and we weren't going to see it, and oh my God.

It was really well done, I agree. I was terrified they were going to off Hot Dog without us seeing any of it. Moore says he was adamant that you stay rooted on the ship without any cuts to the Vipers to keep you in the moment, and I think he's absolutely right.

The whole message about the people of Galatica being human and flawed, but always doing their best, is why I love this show and its characters.

That's intentional; Moore calls it "the thesis of the show".

And then we're in a theater. So the pilots are watch—wait, no, those are our favorite Cylons, I recognize their backs. How did they get this footage on Caprica? Can they just pluck it out of the ether? Whoa, that's new. Hold on a sec, how can they play the deleted footage? Where are they—HOLY FUCK.

GODFUCKINGDAMMIT. I read months ago that Lucy Lawless was going to be guest starring as a Cylon and I'm so, SO pissed that ruined it for me. I can't remember where I read it now, but it wasn't tagged with any kind of spoiler warnings or I wouldn't have touched it. ARGH! Also, it should be noted that we now know the identities of six of the twelve Cylon models, if I'm counting right.

Also, this totally explains her leap of logic from "That looks like the late Lt. Valerii" to "Cylon!"

And the reason the scene with her and the hidden tape is immediately followed by the arrival of two Cylon raiders. There is one thing that I feel went unexplained: how did she know what was written on Tigh's mirror in order to recognize the book in the footage as being by the same poet? Starbuck and Apollo discussed it, but she wasn't there. The only time we saw her hear about it was from interviewing the pilot, who didn't mention it. So I'm stumped, and it's bugging me.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 10th, 2005 05:41 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, crap, that sucks you got spoiled like that. Me, I had heard she was guest-starring for multiple episodes, so I was a little confused when the doc plotline ended within one episode. That should have clued me in that there was more to her than just that.

As for knowing the poet, I figure she just heard it from someone else. We saw she's a pretty sneaky reporter.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:September 10th, 2005 05:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, she probably got the information from somewhere else, I just thought it was odd that they left a big hole like that.

I forgot to mention the funniest thing from the podcast: in the scene where Tigh walks in and finds Ellen bound and gagged on the floor, Moore said he had to resist the urge to dub in Tigh saying "Ellen, not tonight." HA!
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:September 11th, 2005 05:29 am (UTC)
(Link)
This just proves that Moore and Strega are meant for one another. From the Why We Fight recap:
Wesley walks down a hall at Wolfram & Hart and opens his office door. Inside, he finds Fred tied to his chair and gagged. "Fred, at last! But how did you know..." he fails to say.
From:metabeta
Date:September 12th, 2005 10:22 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"Can I be a suspect again now? Please?" See. I had to rewind the DVR eight or twelve times before I had any idea what she was saying. It sounded like, "Canna be a suspapee?" And my closed captions were working but only in Thai. It was very disturbing.

Has anyone said anything about Apollo in a towel? Because he was. In a towel. Naked, almost, except for a TOWEL. Aaaaaaaah.

I like this show.
From:metabeta
Date:September 12th, 2005 10:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And, and, and, I love that, in the future, all the magazines are the same except...the corners are cut off! Brilliant.
[User Picture]
From:midnightsjane
Date:September 17th, 2005 02:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Man, I love this show. This episode had so much good stuff..and I'm not just talking about Apollo in (almost out)of a towel. Although that was very tastey indeed. Lucy Lawless was great, and I'm glad to hear she's coming back for more. I was spoiled (weak, I know) for this episode, and I kept watching it thinking, wait, she's a Cylon? For a Cylon she seemed very human, and now I'm totally confused about the ultimate Cylon goal. I really liked the way the other members of the crew were fleshed out, and given more back story. Ellen Tigh is interesting..very Machiavellan in the way she manipulates her husband..but I loathe her. Baltar just seemed kind of pitiful to me this episode..he just can't get no respect.
I love Dualla, she has a wonderful quiet strength.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com