?

Log in

No account? Create an account
This Is Getting Rather Comical - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

August 27th, 2005


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:18 am - This Is Getting Rather Comical
I have a job! Hold up, stop getting excited. I'm selling textbooks at the university bookstore for little above minimum wage. But it's money.

So, BSG. I love this show. For reals.

The music in the teaser seemed like another variation on "Passacaglia," though not as overt. It was good, but mostly it made me want to listen to "Passacaglia." Sorry, Bear. Don't know if you're ever going to top that baby. I did like the cutting back and forth between Kobol and Galactica. One party trudging through the rain with their Cylon guide, and one party asking, "Where the frak are they?"

God help me, I think Boomer and Helo are cute together. But Helo's answer to "Do you trust me?" should have been "Well, I did shoot you that one time."

Billy! Aw, Billy. Did Roslin actually say that stuff about him reminding her about Adar? I don't remember; it was probably in the mini.

Okay, it's kind of weird how much I'm not being inspired to write a lot about this episode. Maybe it's not as good as I thought. Or it's just killing me to save Baltar/Six for the end, because I loved it so much.

The previews had already spoilered the whole "THE FATHER WILL KILL THE SON" "I'll take the father, you take the son" bit, but I liked how they actually made it plausible. If a little predictable, because it's kind of obvious to frame the Cylon for your assassination. But it is again a testament to the show that up until the twist, I was all ready to see Adama get two more shots in the gut, maybe in the exact same place. It was a very cool moment. Also, Sharon gained points for the further/farther correction. But I'm still hazy on what memories she has. I think she only has Sharon's memories up to the destruction of Caprica, which explains her memories of being in uniform and part of the fleet. And I'm pretty sure she and Tyrol and were gimblesexing by then.

The Adama/Apollo reunion was touching. I think I voted right in that poll a while ago: they would reconcile with hugs. And Adama/Starbuck. And Adama/Roslin. Man, that guy misses his peeps.

You know, I usually complain about non-Galactica scenes, but tonight I decided I really liked that most of the episode was in the bloody jungle. It's just so unusual for a television show to have so many exterior scenes. It reminded me of Lost, in a good way.

Okay, so the Tomb of Athena. What the fudge? What happened there? Did they literally go to Earth magically, or was it just some sort of vision/hologram? Does the fact that our names for the Zodiac are the "ancient" names confirm that the show takes place in the future, or does it just confirm that all of this has happened, and all of it will happen again? Do they actually know where that damn nebula is so they can start flying toward it? Who's been cutting the grass on Earth? And how the hell did they get back/out?

All right. I loved Balter and Six in this episode. I loved that they finally addressed the issue of what Six really was head on. As I've suspected, Baltar this season has really been pulling away from Six, and he flat out says it now. And Six realizes it too, which is why she gets naked, trying to remind him of their special bond.

"Wake up and smell the psychosis." And then things get really interesting. Because at first, I thought there had been this random woman in the room that Baltar had been addressing as Six, delusionally. Then it looked like he had Starbuck in his head. Then I realized it was just Six as we'd never seen her before. If you didn't know, I've always been a proponent of the idea that Baltar's Six is, just as she says, merely a representation of his subconscious, so talk like this was akin to having my 'ship canonized.

I love the significance of Six's wardrobe at any given time. For the first time, she dresses down, as if to get down to his level. Like, look at me. I'm nothing, you fool. I'm just in your head. And see, this all follows from the way Baltar's been pulling back from this illusion. He's trying to reject it now. And I don't see the point of putting Baltar through this if Six were really a Cylon in his head. Except to play on his insecurities, which is valid, I suppose. How do you make Baltar feel special? Try to convince him he's not. And that will only make him cling to his delusion even more strongly.

At first, I thought that the brainscan would just never work, as Baltar's constant craziness would make Dr. Cottle say, "Frak it." So I was a little surprised that they went so far as to show Baltar that no, there is no chip in your head, buster. Most supporters of the chip theory say there's no way Baltar could have known about the baby. But if you think about how sexual the Baltar/Six relationship is in the first season, it's not unlikely that it would lead to some OH SHIT YOU'RE PREGNANT?! angst. Just like in real life!

So, final scene. Again with the wardrobe. Now Six has returned to her cleavage-y slutbomb outfit, the red dress. Awesome. And since she's not a chip, she has to be something else. Angel of God! That sounds about right. You always did like your religion. Nice save, Baltar's subconscious! I love the look on Baltar's face as Six tells him they're after the destruction of human race. It's like, "Wait, does that include me?"

And now it's time for a poll!

Poll #559977 This Dream That Pains Him and Enchains Him

What is the Six in Baltar's head?

A manifestation of his subconscious. Supergenius is loony as a mad corsair, yo.
7(29.2%)
A projection/implantation of the Cylon Six. Supergenius is horny as a...well, you, Sunil.
10(41.7%)
An Angel of God. She's like Della Reese, but hotter.
1(4.2%)
I have a theory involving cheese and space monkeys. Let me explain in the comments.
4(16.7%)
I don't watch this show, but I like taking polls.
2(8.3%)

Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: Rilo Kiley - Accidntel Deth

(41 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:puppyunknown
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:20 am (UTC)
(Link)
yay jobs! yay rilo kiley! yay you!
[User Picture]
From:raelee
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sweet. Congrats on the money earning.
[User Picture]
From:xxxaimsxxx
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm selling textbooks at the university bookstore for little above minimum wage.

I bet I spent more on textbooks this semester than what you'll make in a month. I hate buying books.
[User Picture]
From:darlingviolenta
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
Michigan Book & Supply? My friend Amelia works there. You met her once, last summer. Congrats on getting something to meet immediate needs. (I also found myself a more permanent position this week, so good stuff there.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hey, congrats!

Huh. I think I heard the name Amelia today. Guess she'll be my co-worker soon!
[User Picture]
From:flymara
Date:August 27th, 2005 05:53 am (UTC)
(Link)
Congrats! Yay for the money earning (at least it's something right?)!
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 27th, 2005 03:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I have yet to see Farscape. So that means nothing to me, but don't explain it to me, as I have yet to see Farscape. But when I do, I will retroactively understand this comment.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 10th, 2006 06:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I would like to note that I have come across this comment over six months later, and it now makes perfect sense. What's funny is the way they did that made me more amenable to the idea of Six being a chip (I loved Crichton/Scorpius the same way I love Baltar/Six).
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:March 10th, 2006 08:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, I loved it entirely.

When I say amenable, I don't mean I think there's a chip involved; I still don't. But I would be less mad if I'm proved wrong.
[User Picture]
From:homegoddess
Date:August 27th, 2005 04:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Congratulations on the job!
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:carpedi7
Date:August 27th, 2005 07:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yay for job and your excitement over the coolio movie is still adorable, but not wimbledorable.
[User Picture]
From:electricmonk
Date:August 27th, 2005 10:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hey! We can be working-almost-minimum-wage-at-book-providing-institutions buddies.
[User Picture]
From:sterope
Date:August 27th, 2005 11:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yay for minimal money making jobs! I'm still trying to figure out how to get a raise at my job since I have been there over a year and haven't gotten one yet. Hmm...
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 27th, 2005 11:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. That's such a perfect icon.
From:wee_warrior
Date:August 27th, 2005 11:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Finally, I was able to take your poll: I think, and always have thought, that Baltar is totally nuts. But I'm okay with every other explanation that doesn't turn Six into a literal angel.

And again, yay for the job!
[User Picture]
From:soleta_nf
Date:August 28th, 2005 01:26 am (UTC)
(Link)
I just wanted to say: Whee! You're a 'neighbour' of mine on Audioscribbler! I've friended you there (I'm soleta_nf there, too). :)
[User Picture]
From:soleta_nf
Date:August 28th, 2005 02:23 am (UTC)
(Link)
P.S. Congrats on the job! It looks like I'll be landing my own a-little-above-minimum-wage job soon, too. :)
[User Picture]
From:punzerel
Date:August 28th, 2005 01:28 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hurray job, hurray money! Good luck :) My job ends this week and I'm happy to go back to school and not do tedious office bitchery but I'll miss the money. Sigh.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:August 28th, 2005 03:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm still close to being on the fence about Baltar/Six, but this did seem like something his subconscious rather than Six would do. In "Six Degrees of Separation," it seemed the opposite. However, she did pretty much the same thing for his belief in her this time around as she did for the fleet's belief in him in SDoS... so I don't know. I'm fine with the entire situation being ambiguous as long as Ron Moore knows and isn't just hopping back and forth over the fence himself.

The music in the teaser seemed like another variation on "Passacaglia," though not as overt. It was good, but mostly it made me want to listen to "Passacaglia."

Me too! But I'm ignorant and didn't know what it was called; I just recognized it as the kickass music from KLG1's kickass teaser. And I just noticed that there's a soundtrack for BSG S1 that I'll have to have a look at, since it lists Passacalglia on it and has 30 tracks.

Billy! Aw, Billy. Did Roslin actually say that stuff about him reminding her about Adar? I don't remember; it was probably in the mini.
I don't remember her saying anything of the kind, although it's not out of the question. In the mini, he had just started as her assistant so during that time it seems unlikely. During the episode I wondered if Adama was just manipulating Billy to make sure he would come, but I'm not sure.

I assume that Earth was a hologram since they just happened to be surrounded by all the stones with the constellations, and I also assume that to get back out they would just remove the arrow from the statue... if it was still visible? I have no idea, but really, it was too awesome to care.

For the first time, she dresses down, as if to get down to his level. Like, look at me. I'm nothing, you fool. I'm just in your head.

There may have been more to it than that. He made that comment that she's no longer his fantasy woman, and bang! She looks suspiciously like... well, his actual fantasy woman. Hmmm.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 28th, 2005 03:47 am (UTC)
(Link)
You always leave the best comments on my BSG posts. Thanks.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:August 28th, 2005 03:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
You're welcome, but it's mostly 'cause if I post it on my journal nobody would read it. At least here I know somebody's paying attention.
From:metabeta
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
I can't read this yet because I haven't watched Part the Second but *hugs!* Job!
[User Picture]
From:funky_donut
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
Aw, I'm the only one that voted for the Angel. But hey, I'm New.

It bothered me that they cut straight from the tomb (I think it was a hologram map) to Adama addressing all those people/whatever. How did they get out? Were they all, "Computer, End Program"? Run around until they bounced into the walls of the old tomb and then felt their way over to the door? Did they just suddenly flash back into the old tomb? What if they hadn't finished memorizing the stars yet? They'd be like, "Aw, shit, I didn't finish with Aries."
"Wait, do you remember what Scorpio looked like?"
"I thought you were looking at Scorpio!"
"Fuck, how do we get back?"

(sorry, rambling.)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:44 am (UTC)
(Link)
The Angel idea was the other one I liked because I really enjoyed the idea that he might literally be God's instrument. But I can also appreciate that to have God make definite appearances would be a mistake, because this show thrives on the fact that everything is ambiguous, and you can always choose to believe either side, because they each have compelling evidence for or against, but neither has definitive proof against the other. Pretty much any stance on this show is not mutually exclusive to another.
[User Picture]
From:funky_donut
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sorry, I thought I replied to you with my comment below. Must've hit the wrong link.
[User Picture]
From:funky_donut
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:54 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hmm. Interesting. I really need to see the first season. This was the first Pres/Adama interaction I had seen. Given the whole first part of this season, I had thought they were more antagonistic to each other. I liked the affection between them.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 28th, 2005 05:57 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, yeah. They used to be on better terms. I mean, they were still at cross-purposes, but there was a begrudging mutual respect.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:August 28th, 2005 06:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
They've been back and forth between getting along and being very antagonistic, depending on the given situation here. I think what we saw here was meant to illustrate the difference in how Adama has been treating, and appreciating, the people around him since his near-death experience.
From:hobviously
Date:August 28th, 2005 07:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, I postededed, cow, and I am amazed that we seem to be more in agreement than ever before re: BSG. Also, hee, I totally said something to Rawles about "OMG NOT WESLEY!" when I heard the father/son thing in the preview.

And I'm pretty sure she and Tyrol and were gimblesexing by then.

Hee! *pwnz*

Also, while I think Six's sudden change of clothing was very cool in the "dressing down" aspect, the de-fantasizing if you will, I want people to talk more about how HER HAIR WAS EXACTLY LIKE KARA'S because Gilderoy has a crush on her. That's, like, the thing that MOST says "I am subconscious" to me.

And I changed my vote.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:August 28th, 2005 08:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Here's what Eick and Moore have to say in the podcast about the first Baltar/Six scene:

Moore: "This whole storyline with Six telling Baltar that he's actually just crazy is something that I think dates back to season one. We were in love with this idea that at some point, you know, Six would change the game and tell Baltar, 'You know what? You're right. Just kidding. You're nuts. There's no chip in your head, you moron. You're just having a psychotic break.' And there was a really delicious idea and we always wanted to play it and for some reason it went in and out of a couple of storylines."

Eick also says they almost had Baltar seeing Sharon in his head during episode six, but they changed it because they didn't want to break the "law" of who Baltar sees in his head. They also find this whole subplot of Baltar wondering if he's nuts hysterical.

Make of that what you will. I'm inclined, based on how they see Six as a character, to think that she's more than a manifestation of Baltar's subconscious, but it's certainly not definitive.

Also, Eick says that Tricia Helfer is "from a farm in Toronto -- well, upstate Canada, basically." Um... okay. You have, you know... seen a map of Canada, right, David?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 28th, 2005 08:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Upstate? Ha.

And yeah, I see what you're saying about how they view her. Rats. But as you say, not definitive. I mean, it's hard to talk about Six as a "character" if you think she's just his subconscious. But you can do it; you just have to talk about her as if she's not, you know? Just like you treat Tyler Durden as an actual character.
[User Picture]
From:kiwikazoo
Date:August 28th, 2005 10:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And on the other hand, talking about the "law" of who Baltar sees in his head would mean that Six is not a projection of some sort, because if that were the case he wouldn't be able to see different people.

Besides, Moore and Eick also make comments about Helo totally being a Cylon, which? Nuh-uh. So I'm not sure we can believe anything they say.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:August 29th, 2005 03:51 am (UTC)
(Link)
I finally saw Home part deux today, so I can read this. Whee! The Baltar/Six scenes were definitely my favorite parts. The beginning drums all showed Six naked, but that wasn't the big surprise - sneaky preview drums!

But yeah, it also bugged me with the holograwhatever. I thought they were actually on Earth at first. And then bam! we're back on Galactica. Which is weird for a show that is so slow paced - you'd think that first they'd have to get out of the tomb, then walk all the way back to the viper, then get back to the ships that surrounded Kobol, then tell all the ships to go back to where Galactica was (and everybody would be like, "What? But we just left!") AND THEN we could have the slow clap.

Also, re: slow clap. I literally said, "Hey, that's a slow clap! Strega's going to freak out."
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:August 29th, 2005 03:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hey. I want to hear about the cheese and space monkeys, buster.
[User Picture]
From:alliterator
Date:August 29th, 2005 05:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hokay, here's my theory: after the attack on Caprica, the radiation had a radical effect on the Caprican monkey population. Then, in the wake of the attack, Baltar ate some bad cheese that the monkeys set for him - and put a computer chip in.

You see, the chip isn't in his brain. It's in his STOMACH.

Or possibly in the toilet (and then flushed into space) right now.
[User Picture]
From:idreamofpeace
Date:August 29th, 2005 04:07 am (UTC)
(Link)
Dude, it's a job! I know how you feel and, yay!
From:metabeta
Date:August 30th, 2005 06:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
No, seriously, I picture them having this huge scene where they explain that Starbuck puts her fingers on the bow of Sagitarrius and Apollo touches Gemini JUST right and they get back but they thought it was too...what's the word? Insane. And they cut the whole thing. But no. HOW DID THEY GET BACK FOR CLAPPING AND COOKIES AND PUNCH?

(Love this show, love you.)
[User Picture]
From:iamglory
Date:September 3rd, 2005 05:55 pm (UTC)
(Link)
YOUR ICONS ARE FRIGGIN PERFECT!!! I only just discovered Veronica Mars a couple months ago!!! SOOOO GOOD!!!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 3rd, 2005 06:05 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Thanks. I know good people. If you do take any, please credit the proper person!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com