?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Cutting the Mustard - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

October 8th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
11:54 pm - Cutting the Mustard
Last night, I met another Kiwi. It appears that flymara is switching places with kroki_refur: now that the latter has gone from England to New Zealand by way of San Francisco, the former is making the opposite journey. Mara got to play the International Dateline game, however, by leaving on Wednesday evening and arriving here Wednesday morning.

We had dinner at Max's, which is where I had tried and failed to have dinner with ora_wai. On the way, I learned that our little silver walking man—the signal to cross the street—confused her because in New Zealand, the walking man is green. Other bizarre things about New Zealand include the fact that they call McDonald's "Mackie's," they put beets in their cheeseburgers, and they call all candy "lollies" (I received more Pineapple Lumps). Mara had an American cheeseburger with no beets; she could not finish it all. As we looked over the dessert menu, she asked me what cobbler was, and I tried to explain. Then she asked me what graham crackers were, and I had no idea how to explain. So we had a key lime pie. She liked it and said it tasted like brandy snaps, whatever those are.

What Mara will really take away, though, is the fact that we Americans really love our mustard.


Your eyes do not deceive you. That is cranberry mustard. Which tastes just like it sounds. It actually works! And the sweet hot mustard sort of tasted like McDonald's hot mustard sauce, which they didn't have in New Zealand.

I took her up the Westin St. Francis elevator, which she really enjoyed. Then we went back to her hotel to watch American television, but all that was on was crap like Hank and Trauma. Still, just like ora_wai, she was excited to be watching American TV on a TV with commercials and everything.

I don't know what she watched tonight. I know what I watched, though.

FlashForward

Jesus Christ, this show is like a parade of cool guest stars. Gabrielle Union! Kim Dickens! Gina Torres!

I wonder if they will ever give Jett Jackson anything interesting to do. Come on! He's famous!

Demetri is my favorite. Janis is my second-favorite. And I think that FBI boss guy who was IN A MEETING, DAMMIT is my third-favorite for some reason. I like his perspective on the whole thing. Like how everyone in the world is now living either toward or against their future, which is more of a known quantity than it usually is.

John Cho and Gabrielle Union are so cute together! Even though he totally has to father Janis's baby and stuff. What does it mean that she saw him in her flash-forward? We didn't see him. Maybe she just thinks she saw him? Or she's lying? I am going under the assumption that what they show us is the truth—I thought that was the entire point of I WAS IN A MEETING—so even though she says she saw him, since they didn't show him to us in her flash-forward, we don't have to take that as truth.

Aaron's flash-forward is problematic, however, and opens up the possibility of variant futures. Or Ruby has an identical twin. They wouldn't have bothered to cast her if this was the end of the storyline. Maybe the DNA evidence is crap.

Here's to moral relativism!

Man, this is totally like the first season of Lost and Heroes, where each new episode added a new layer of WTF to the whole enterprise. It's going to be bad when they run out of WTF. But until then: awesome! Somalia 1991! What the hell was that in the sky?? Did they all flash-forward except they didn't tell anyone? Is this going to be some horribly racist savage thing where Somalians couldn't possibly communicate anything of importance? Also, why are all the crows dying?

Fringe

Man, this show got hardcore. INTERDIMENSIONAL WAR OH YEAH. Except it's more like INTERDIMENSIONAL INVASION since uh we aren't doing shit to them. I really liked Olivia's feeling of confusion and helplessness over why it was happening at all. Indeed, what did we ever do to them? Why can't our dimensions live together in harmony? Also, I remain bewildered that the creators expected to wait two or three seasons to start doing this. This is the show, goddammit!

Rebecca was annoying, but Walter was very sadmaking. He's so regretful of the things he did In the Name of Science. You know what? Walter is basically Topher in forty years. Or, well, ten.

Evil Charlie, we hardly knew ye. Is that it for Kirk Acevedo? I guess we'll see if his name's still in the credits next week. Maybe Scarface Charlie will do shit.

Headless dude now has a head! Ew! Cool!

Supernatural

That was better than I expected from the preview! It was a little less silly and had more substance. I guess clips of reconciling brothers don't make a good promo.

Paris Hilton was not that bad, but that anvilicious monologue sure was.

Dean, stop making fun of Gandhi or I will punch you in the face. Ganjhi was a great man. Sam knows it!

I liked seeing the boys on a regular case, looking for clues, doing research, the whole shebang. It's been a while.

Dean finally admits that he broke the first seal! Taking responsibility! Admitting neither he nor Sam meant to bring about the apocalypse, for fuck's sake, so let's stop playing the blame and bitterness game!

Oh, show. Only you could make letting someone drive so meaningful!

And I don't even know what the hell was up with that promo. Sometimes this show wears crazypants, and I love it.
Current Mood: relievedrelieved
Current Music: VAST - Flames

(18 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:scifantasy
Date:October 9th, 2009 11:58 am (UTC)
(Link)
it's more like INTERDIMENSIONAL INVASION since uh we aren't doing shit to them.

We did, once. Or, at least one of us did, and hasn't admitted it to anybody.

Walter was very sadmaking. He's so regretful of the things he did In the Name of Science.

That is, I think, the big difference between Bell and Walter. Bell claimed to be saddened by the things he did, but he sees them as having been necessary. You get the feeling that if he could do it all over, he wouldn't change anything. Walter...has a lot of regrets, going all the way back to the reason Peter glowed in Rebecca's view, and it's clear that he wishes he could undo some things.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 9th, 2009 02:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
We did, once. Or, at least one of us did, and hasn't admitted it to anybody.
Oh right. That whole thing. Who would have thought one little kidnapping would turn into an interdimensional incident?

Walter...has a lot of regrets, going all the way back to the reason Peter glowed in Rebecca's view
Dude, I totally missed that. Dude! And Peter didn't pick up on it either!
[User Picture]
From:scifantasy
Date:October 9th, 2009 03:16 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dude, I totally missed that. Dude!

Well, I expected it from the moment they said "oh, her power comes and goes," so I was looking for it.

And Peter didn't pick up on it either!

I think they're saving that particular shoe to drop it at the worst possible time--say, when we meet the Walter from the other side.

(I still wonder--we have Bell from this side living on the other, but the forces on the other side, which are giving direction to the First Wave, haven't tried to kill him? How is he protected? Then we have Bell from the other side, location and status unknown; and Walter from the other side, ditto but probably very pissed off.)
[User Picture]
From:gwyn_r
Date:October 9th, 2009 07:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh right. That whole thing. Who would have thought one little kidnapping would turn into an interdimensional incident?

Yeah, you'd think Walter would have read up on the whole Helen of Troy mess at some point in his education. Poor Walter.

I can't wait to see what the guy does with his head.
[User Picture]
From:valeriejoy
Date:October 9th, 2009 01:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was excited to see Gina Torres on FlashForward! She's so beautiful and she certainly adds wonderful to that crazy show. lol! I was hoping to see more Lloyd but I guess we can't have everyone in every episode. And I don't want Demetri to die!!! He cannot die!!!

Fringe was exciting. I liked how Rebecca looked at Peter and saw what she usually sees when she sees someone from "the other side." (I wish they'd stop calling it "the other side" because "the other side" is usually the other side of death). I was sad about evil Charlie and I hope we get to see the parallel universe Charlie later. And poor Walter. Oh! And Olivia was HARDCORE drinking the blended worms just like that. Yowsa!

Haven't watched SN yet but I hope they ended up killing Paris Hilton.
[User Picture]
From:soundingsea
Date:October 9th, 2009 02:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dean probably doesn't know a goddamned thing about Gandhi. That's balanced, though, by Gandhi being Sam's ultimate idol. :)

Admitting neither he nor Sam meant to bring about the apocalypse, for fuck's sake, so let's stop playing the blame and bitterness game!

I was so relieved this finally took place. Long time coming.

Also, is cranberry mustard supposed to be weird? (I've actually made some myself!)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 9th, 2009 02:35 pm (UTC)
(Link)
What! It's totally weird! You weirdo.
[User Picture]
From:adinarj
Date:October 9th, 2009 02:27 pm (UTC)
(Link)
IT'S SUPERNATURAL THE SITCOM!! Haha, I can't wait. This show is the best kind of crack.
[User Picture]
From:ahtrap
Date:October 9th, 2009 04:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
There's a mustard MUSEUM in one of the small towns near Madison...cranberry mustard is just the beginning...
[User Picture]
From:zimshan
Date:October 9th, 2009 06:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dean finally admits that he broke the first seal! Taking responsibility! Admitting neither he nor Sam meant to bring about the apocalypse, for fuck's sake, so let's stop playing the blame and bitterness game!

Hehe. Seeing you say the same things I've said, in admittedly slightly saner form, always makes me chuckle.

And yes, those are some SERIOUSLY crazypants the show's playing in the next couple weeks. The writers room must have scored some SERIOUSLY GOOD CRACK this summer.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 9th, 2009 06:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Seeing you say the same things I've said, in admittedly slightly saner form, always makes me chuckle.
I mostly forgot about Dean's having broken the first seal until people kept bringing it up, so that was fandom osmosis, but I have been seriously annoyed at everyone blaming Sam for the apocalypse, as if they wouldn't have killed Lilith if they had been in his shoes.
[User Picture]
From:chrryblssmninja
Date:October 10th, 2009 09:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
Max's! The one near the SF opera and civic center?

Although, with some change in upper management or something, the food selection in the various branches here isn't quite as awesome as remembered. WHY DID THEY TAKE OUT THE MARSHMALLOW SAUCE FROM THE GIANT SUNDAE


Oh, show. Only you could make letting someone drive so meaningful!
I was saying for five minutes during that convo: "Let Sam drive the car. Let Sam drive the car."
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 10th, 2009 02:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Max's! The one near the SF opera and civic center?
The one near A.C.T.
[User Picture]
From:duchessdogberry
Date:October 10th, 2009 04:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I wonder if they will ever give Jett Jackson anything interesting to do. Come on! He's famous!

I knew I could rely on you to also still be thinking of him as The Famous Jett Jackson every time he pops up on the show.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 10th, 2009 04:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I love you.
[User Picture]
From:holly96
Date:October 11th, 2009 10:01 am (UTC)
(Link)
I finally watched the newest episode of Flash Forward and I had your post bookmarked. And now I have comments!

What does it mean that she saw him in her flash-forward? We didn't see him. Maybe she just thinks she saw him? Or she's lying?
I don't know. I don't think she was lying. Or at least there didn't seem to be any hints that she was. So if we assume that, I see a few options. Maybe the flash forward ended before she was close enough to realize it wasn't him (though why would she be getting married to someone else like a month after he's murdered? unless they break up way before that?) Or her flash forward is to a dream she's having at the time. It did seem pretty vivid and idealized. I could see her having that kind of dream if she's mourning him at the time. Or it was him and something really weird is going on.

Maybe the DNA evidence is crap.
That's what I'm thinking. Either the DNA sample they had on file was mixed up, or it's some sort of government cover-up.

What the hell was that in the sky?? Did they all flash-forward except they didn't tell anyone? Is this going to be some horribly racist savage thing where Somalians couldn't possibly communicate anything of importance? Also, why are all the crows dying?
I had to watch that a few times, but I've decided the thing in the sky was coming from that huge tower that was right underneath it. It took my a couple times to notice, but it seemed pretty out of place. I think someone was doing a test or experiment or something. Though 1991 was a long time ago. Maybe it took them that long to figure out how to take it global. As for why they didn't tell anyone, it looked like a pretty small village, and it was only that small area (that boy was pretty close, and he wasn't effected). Maybe they came to the conclusion that it was some mass hallucination. If it was a test, I'm sure they could have covered it up by putting some drugs in the water or something. If scientists came and told them "Here's what happened" I think they would take that for granted. As for the crows, I'm wondering that too. There hasn't been any indication that anyone but humans blacked out, so that can't be it. It must be some side effect specific to crows somehow.

Anyway, I've blabbed on enough. I'm totally enjoying the ride, just like with Lost. I don't know where it's going, but I don't really care (though I don't want Demetri to die and I don't particularly want to watch Mark & Olivia's marriage fall apart, so I hope those particular futures get changed).

[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 11th, 2009 04:24 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Or her flash forward is to a dream she's having at the time. It did seem pretty vivid and idealized. I could see her having that kind of dream if she's mourning him at the time.
Yeah, someone else mentioned the dream idea. I'm not sure I like that. Your consciousness jumps, not your subconscious! If you were sleeping, you'd see nothing, not a dream? Right?

That's what I'm thinking. Either the DNA sample they had on file was mixed up, or it's some sort of government cover-up.
Or he was dreaming too.

(though I don't want Demetri to die and I don't particularly want to watch Mark & Olivia's marriage fall apart, so I hope those particular futures get changed).
Same here.
[User Picture]
From:thetheatremouse
Date:October 14th, 2009 12:46 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm on the dream train for a couple of reasons.

A) Because it strikes me as the sort of thing I'd expect from this kind of show that they'd want a distinguishable difference between what dead-in-the-future people would see and what sleeping-in-the-future people would see.
B) (And this is my primary reason) The timestamp on the flash forwards is supposedly 10PM Los Angeles time in April, which corresponds to 7pm in Hawaii. But the Hawaii scene looked like broad daylight to me. Sunset should be 6somethingPM on that date, and it'd start being dusk-like well before then. So either a show which really needs to have rock-solid control over continuity issues for its entire premise to function, especially those relating to times and dates, has already screwed that up for this plot point, or there's something sketchy about Gabrielle Union's flash forward.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com