?

Log in

I Love You but I've Chosen Sadness - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

September 28th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:47 pm - I Love You but I've Chosen Sadness
This is my life.

I can't choose among all my poetically miserable pre-cut bits, so I guess I will refrain. I wish I weren't this neurotic. I wish I could actually believe that something good lies ahead. Oh, whoops, that's not refraining.

Dexter

America's favorite serial killer is back! And with baby in tow.

The sleepy credits were cute.

And speaking of credits, that fucking asshole Quinn is a regular now. The only good thing about him is his proximity to cute reporters.

Angel/LaGuerta? Really? She's his BOSS. This will not end well. I don't like it.

John Lithgow is creepy. Although the hot shower was weird.

You know, it's weird how Dexter's Kill of the Week is usually just some random guy who is not important to the overall plot, it's the sort of procedural plot that's expected in each episode, and yet I am never ever bored by it, unlike Echo's engagements. Every time, it's still somehow compelling.

Adrienne Barbeau is one hot sexuagenarian.

Car crash! Is the body still in the trunk? This does not look good for Homestar Runner.

Entourage

E, stop potentially catching diseases and go after Kate Mara. She's pretty!

I used to really hate Turtle, but I've really liked him with Jamie. He doesn't know who he is without her! Aw.

I marvel that none of the women Vince have sex with mind that he talks on the phone. And I wonder why Vince bothers to have sex when he's so blasé about it.

Ari was pretty great this episode.

Ll—!

How I Met Your Mother

The doppelgangers were amusing, and Marshall's elaborate fantasy was amusing, and Robin's reaction to strip clubs was confusing.

But the reason I loved this episode was the main plot, which was wonderfully clever and insightful. And freaky in its continuing confirmation that I am Ted. If I ever went on a date, that's what would happen. I would find a typo in the menu, I would make a bad joke, I would be annoyed if she didn't do the check dance. I would definitely give her my jacket, though.

And the conclusion Ted comes to is one I came to as well. Shouldn't I wait for someone who likes me for who I am? And not for who I am when I'm trying to hide any aspects of me she might not like? Seriously, I am not going to stop finding typos in menus. I will be less douche-y about it than Ted, though. But then again, maybe minor flaws oughtn't be dealbreakers so early. Maybe if Ted and Jen went out again, they would move past tolerating each other's flaws and instead find them endearing.

Anyway, I hope I find my Shellfish Lady.
Current Mood: melancholymelancholy
Current Music: Ben Kingsley - The Wind and the Rain

(25 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:September 29th, 2009 12:19 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Aw Sunil. That was beautiful.

I loved the way all the guys were into Chewbacca and knew where the convention was. Hee!
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 29th, 2009 03:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ha, yeah, that was great. ("Everyone knows that!")
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:September 29th, 2009 12:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I thought of you when I saw that xkcd.

I'm behind on Entourage and Dexter because of all the computer virus crap. I may just wait and watch both on DVD. Which is very frustrating.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 29th, 2009 03:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Computer virus crap? Oh no!
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:September 29th, 2009 04:50 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, were you away when all that happened? My office computer, my main laptop, and the new Netbook I'd just bought all got a hideous virus. My laptop (Cambelle, who you met) got it last, when I was able to immediately recognize the signs. I immediately ran bunches of malware and antivirus scans, because as the virus progresses, it blocks all virus and malware scans, and then it blocks all applications. But in those very beginning stages, you can still run things. So I did, and I MIGHT have fixed everything, but I don't know for sure. It's been weeks, and I still haven't been using Cambelle because I'm not in an emotional place right now to be able to deal with it if the virus manifests itself and I need to reformat the hard drive like I had to with the office computer and Netbook. So I've been using my Netbook at home (which is difficult to type on, and not the best with streaming video), and I've been avoiding pretty much any website that miiiiiight hurt it. Such as Megaupload, which has weird pop-ups and all kind of shady animated ads. Pretty much all the links for downloading TV are Megaupload and Mediafire.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 29th, 2009 04:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I still haven't been using Cambelle because I'm not in an emotional place right now to be able to deal with it if the virus manifests itself and I need to reformat the hard drive like I had to with the office computer and Netbook.
We are so alike.

I'm really sorry you got a virus. I live in fear of such things.
From:ikcelaks
Date:September 29th, 2009 05:43 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Is it certain that Cambelle was infected? I thought she came up clean?
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:September 29th, 2009 10:12 pm (UTC)
(Link)
The second time. But remember we scanned it first and a list of things showed up and I clicked to fix them? There's no question the beginning of the virus showed up: I got those fake virus program evil pop-ups.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 30th, 2009 03:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
My laptop (Cambelle, who you met)
Who now? Oooh:

Tiffani showed me her laptop, Campbell. "This is what I talk to you on." Eee! I asked her why it was named Campbell, and she said she had told me before.

"You say a lot of things," I replied. So she told me the story, and it didn't sound familiar to me at all. But if she thought she'd told me, she probably did. We do talk a lot.

And, uh...yeah, I have again forgotten the origin of the name.
[User Picture]
From:jeeperstseepers
Date:September 30th, 2009 03:43 am (UTC)
(Link)
When it was ordered, but before it arrived, I'd decided to call it Cam, because it was white like a Mac, but it was a PC, which is the opposite. Then it arrived and I took it out of the box and looked at it, and the name Belle came to mind. I felt bad giving up "Cam," since it had been the plan for quite a while.

'Course, Campbell is a guy's name. So while I'm not entirely certain of Cambelle's gender, I believe he may be a gay male.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 30th, 2009 03:48 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hee! That is a cute story. I should remember it. And now even if I don't, I can read this and pretend I did.
[User Picture]
From:lynevere
Date:September 29th, 2009 12:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm a little split on Ted's decision re Jenn. Yes, he should definitely find someone who loves him for him. However, it's very possible to love someone for themselves and not find all of their quirks endearing. We know Ted will eventually find his perfect woman, but it seemed a little irresponsible to suggest that everyone would.

Also, I couldn't help but think that Jenn - as a woman - didn't have the luxury of time that Ted did.

(Deleted comment)
From:ikcelaks
Date:September 29th, 2009 02:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm too cynical for comics like that. I imagine an additional layer of indirection, with the entire strip being a bubble in the author's mind while sitting next to a woman who is wondering what that dork is daydreaming about.
[User Picture]
From:daynr
Date:September 29th, 2009 02:28 pm (UTC)
(Link)
bc sex feels gooooood.

hang in there.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 29th, 2009 03:07 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Heh. You're my own personal cat poster.
[User Picture]
From:sterope
Date:September 29th, 2009 04:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That comic is sad! I feel that way a lot too, though, so I totally understand it.
[User Picture]
From:anoel
Date:September 29th, 2009 04:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I agree about Turtle. This episode made me realize that I really, really like him now after not being into him before. Crazy how things change.

Vince needs a real plotline. He just seems bored.

Yeah I agree about Ted. Although I think that if it's those little things that turn you off a date you have WAY bigger problems. The biggest problem is they don't connect, they have nothing to talk about that really brings them together and nothing that attracts them together. I hope you find your Shellfish Lady too :)
[User Picture]
From:bspalek
Date:September 29th, 2009 07:31 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That is my life as well, but I am still optimistic. Sometimes.

I don't get the shellfish lady reference, I am assuming because my tv is gathering dust while I fill my head with nursing theory, but I am sure you will find her.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:September 29th, 2009 08:54 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That comic made me sad for stick figure you and you, you. And stick figure girl.

I haven't watched Dexter yet cause I can't decide whether I want to pay for Showtime this year. Would you say the premiere was good enough to pay for?
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:September 29th, 2009 08:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Hm. I would say overall, I was a little disappointed, but I'll see where the season goes. I imagine it will improve greatly once Michael C. Hall and John Lithgow get together, but I don't think that happens for a while.
[User Picture]
From:punzerel
Date:September 30th, 2009 01:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
You will find your Shellfish Lady!

I always notice typos in menus. (And other places.) Does that make me snooty? I try to only point them out to people who equally appreciate typo-finding, though. (I don't limit my bad jokes. Everyone must suffer from those.)
[User Picture]
From:smrou
Date:September 30th, 2009 07:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)

And the conclusion Ted comes to is one I came to as well. Shouldn't I wait for someone who likes me for who I am? And not for who I am when I'm trying to hide any aspects of me she might not like? Seriously, I am not going to stop finding typos in menus. I will be less douche-y about it than Ted, though. But then again, maybe minor flaws oughtn't be dealbreakers so early. Maybe if Ted and Jen went out again, they would move past tolerating each other's flaws and instead find them endearing.

I think your last sentence here is getting to something I think HIMYM skipped over in the episode and which is important. Little things like correcting grammar and making stupid jokes and even talking about your cats and their silly costumes...those are often endearing after you know a person, but they're not necessarily the things that are going to make you want to know the person. So of course it's important to find someone who likes you the way you are and who you like they way they are, but that doesn't mean that every aspect of your personality is going to be appealing on first meeting. So I think if you spend an evening with someone and in general have a nice time and enjoyed being with them, but there were a couple of things that annoyed you, wouldn't it be worth it to spend a little more time with them to see if those things end up not being annoying and maybe possibly even end up being part of what you like about them?
From:ikcelaks
Date:September 30th, 2009 08:53 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes.

So often the traits that I find most endearing in a person are the same sort of traits that would in issolation aggravate me. It's only in the full context of their personality that they become interesting flavor instead. This is an issue with first impressions, because it takes many, many, many impressions of a person to understand even a rough approximation of the full personality.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com