?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Bedtime Stories from the Apocalypse - The Book of the Celestial Cow

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> My Website

October 7th, 2008


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
01:17 am - Bedtime Stories from the Apocalypse
Kelli and I tried to get into a free preview of Body of Lies tonight, but it filled up. But, whatever, movie, because we totally had a good time anyway. My company was having a reception a few blocks away with lots of fancy food to munch on, so I brought her along. I didn't know whether it was really kosher to just bring a friend who wasn't a significant other, so I didn't make a big deal of it. We ate fancy food and ice cream sundaes and took lots of crazy photo booth pictures wearing silly hats and glasses.

And as we were leaving, we ran into the IT department. Kelli introduced herself, and we all talked a bit, and as they left, they all gave her a "Nice to meet you!"

So now they think we're totally dating. I anticipate some amusing conversations tomorrow at work.

Dexter

This show is so funny. I think this is the funniest episode in a while. Dexter gets off a lot of zingers. "This police force is becoming annoyingly effective."

To my surprise, I really liked how they played the pregnancy storyline in this episode, the way Dexter thinks not only of the basic question of whether he should have a child but how that would affect his chosen lifestyle. I found it interesting that he didn't even consider giving it up. That didn't even cross his mind. It was kind of sad. (But how adorable was it when Angel got all cheered up because Dexter was going to have a kid? AWW.)

The end had me so fucking tense! And...holy shit, show. I didn't think the case would be over so quickly! They faked us out with the seasonal arc! I totally shut it off before the preview kicked into gear because I now have no idea where this story is going. Awesome.

Entourage

This episode was alternately boring and hilarious. Lloyd time was fun, but it feels like they're spinning wheels right now. Either commit to a plotline of getting Vince into this damn movie or commit to SOMETHING ELSE, for God's sake.

duchessdogberry thinks E was faking being on shrooms. His not talking was awesome. Did Drama forget to spice up his peanut butter sandwich?

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

I have issues with the fact that the robots cannot do SIMPLE MATH and figure out how old Martin Biddell should be in 2007. I mean, for God's sake, the three Martins were each TWENTY YEARS APART. You'd think they could have had a ballpark idea. For one, that first guy? WAS OLDER THAN THE MARTIN IN THE FUTURE. Jesus, Skynet. Buy a calculator.

I also have issues with the school randomly hiring Derek right off the street. What. The. Fuck?

Those issues aside, it was a good episode, especially for Derek and John, of course. It gave us some good insight into John, I think, really showing us the pressure he's under with his messianic destiny constantly held over his head.

I think this show is way more interested in showing us Sarah-as-mother than Sarah-as-badass, so her threat to Derek rang kind of false, although she does get her occasional badass moment. I liked her taking care of little Martin, though, as it made me think of how she might have been with little John. Cameron was hilarious ("Would you like to hear a bedtime story?"), but I wish there'd been a little more remnants of the last episode. She seemed like regular, non-malfunctioning Cameron.

Shirley Manson is SO WEIRD. I don't know whether she has any versatility as an actress, but she's somehow perfect for this part because, what the hell, Catherine Weaver? You are SO WEIRD. Really cool to see the nuclear plant episode come back into play. We do love our continuity.

The Wizard of Oz reading scene was kind of fabulous.

Dodge Ram: it'll hold all your guns, fuckers.

Chuck

Chuck and Sarah are so adorable. I'm just saying.

And Zachary Levi is just so awesome. He cracked me up multiple times in this episode. Oh, show.

AAAAAAAAAAAH BRYCE!!

How I Met Your Mother

Poor NPH's arm, HOMG.

This is two episodes in a row that have been very New York-y. Is New Jersey really that bad? My boss is from New Jersey!

Marshall's "I hate New York" speech was awesome. And while at first I thought it was out of nowhere and out of character, I can totally buy it from Marshall because he grew up in a rural area, so he's far more apt to hate the urban jungle. (Best little detail of the episode: Marshall eating a plate full of samples.)

JAPAN?!

The Heroes

Oh, show. I don't know what to do with you. Tracy and Niki and Barbara/Jessica all got their powers from injection? I'm fine with injections in the future, but in the past? For characters we already know? Way to undermine the original premise of the damn show, show.

The cells at Primatech all have dampeners or something, right? Because otherwise I cannot understand why Hiro did not just teleport himself out of there. I would give the show the benefit of the doubt, but this show also forgot that Peter could walk through walls, so who knows?

I am not a fan of Harvey Linderman. Why is he even there? He doesn't appear to be offering any useful advice to Nathan, and I feel like he's already said things out of the realm of Nathan's knowledge. This is weird because I normally love this device...on better written shows, it seems.

People say it all the time, but I don't notice it all the time. But, damn, this show has some bad dialogue.

I have no idea what the hell is going on in the damn future. Future Claire has gone excessively murderous and is teamed up with Marlo and Daphne, of all people? And Daphne randomly marries Pac-Man and has a kid? And doesn't have as cool hair? Come to think of it, she had weird hair on FNL too. I think she looks better with weird hair. Also, what the fuck, Pac-Man? You're going to go find Daphne and warn her that four years in the future, you're going to be blown up? Yeah, that's a great strategy. You know what would be a better strategy? Staying the fuck away from her to keep her from Molly.

Pac-Man's buddy is pretty awesome, though. "You don't read much, do you?" Haaaaaaaaa.

Sylar named his kid NOAH. Ha! Aw! And...oh fuck, that probably means he dies in that timeline. Fix it, Peter, fix it! I think he's now my favorite character because of all my favorite characters, he seems to be the only one who has retained a consistent characterization for the most part! Um, Bennet, not Peter.

I am mixed on The Hunger. On the one hand, I can see where they got the idea, and I like that they're calling attention to Sylar's base power and the fact that it does have multiple effects, that it's the reason he's such a great villain. Because he understands How Things Work. But the reason he has The Hunger is THAT HE'S A SOCIOPATH. Peter's cracky-editing Nathan's motivations? Lame. We've never seen Sylar's power work that way. Maybe we just never saw it from his perspective, but still, it's not like he walks into a room and magically knows why you're doing what you're doing. It should be more subtle than that. REMEMBER SUBTLETY, SHOW?

I love that Future Mohinder has gone full-on Sureshfly. Also that skin peeling off his back is diagnosed as a "rash." Also, shut up, Maya. But nice cleavage, FYI.

The fight in Costa Verde was pretty awesome. I loved Daphne zooming around and beating the crap out of Peter, and I loved Marlo feeding on little Noah's fear to fight Sylar. And I loved that Sylar went nuclear, like we all thought was going to happen in season fucking one.

I watched the first part of the preview for next week, but then Promo Guy put on his Big Dramatic Spoiler voice, so I quickly shut it off.

I like polls!

Poll #1273954 No Spoilers!

Which of these is most likely to happen in the future?

Hiro is revealed to be a Petrelli.
7(18.4%)
Daphne zooms around the world and turns back time to save the day.
1(2.6%)
Claire and Adam hook up and have lots of immortal babies.
9(23.7%)
Nathan saves the world with his love for Peter. Again.
16(42.1%)
Pac-Man does anything useful.
5(13.2%)

Current Mood: amusedamused
Current Music: The Lovemakers - Whine and Dine

(33 memoirs | Describe me as "inscrutable")

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:taeli
Date:October 7th, 2008 11:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
My vote is sheer wishful thinking but I would have liked to click the Nathan/Peter love one as well.
[User Picture]
From:harper47
Date:October 7th, 2008 12:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I was so confused during Heroes. And I pretty much agree with all your points. THINGS MAKE NO SENSE!

I feel like the show thinks I'm a tweener and it needs to keep moving me around different levels of a videogame or I'll go do something else. So it keeps throwing things at me. Show getting a little dull - Claire kills Peter! No action for five minutes - Peter cuts open Nathan's skull.

Though yes, I loved Sureshfly! Hee!
[User Picture]
From:shpyum
Date:October 7th, 2008 01:10 pm (UTC)
(Link)
So, what I was thinking when I was watching Heroes last night is that I don't feel like I could describe any of the characters (except, as you said, maybe Bennett) because the characterizations have been so ridiculously inconsistent. Instead of reminding me of who someone basically is as a human being, they just. . .add another character in and have something blow up. And that, above all else, is why I'm bored stiff with the show.

No coffee yet this morning. I hope you see my point.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 03:52 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I completely see your point. I'm not sure who these people are anymore.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:loopychew
Date:October 8th, 2008 12:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I loved Chuck's flail off of the building with the banner. I loved New Ass Man.

But he's not new!
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:taraljc
Date:October 7th, 2008 02:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Jesus, Skynet. Buy a calculator.

It's likely, if it's intel they've gathered from captured resistance fighters, that all they have is a name. No ID, no age range. Just a name.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 03:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
That's true. Jesus, Skynet. Do some research.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:stella_hime
Date:October 7th, 2008 04:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Speaking of Chuck...should I call you El Jefe? :)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 04:11 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yes.
[User Picture]
From:twenty8penguin
Date:October 7th, 2008 04:21 pm (UTC)

Random thoughts

(Link)
Noah dying? The saddest thing ever... the only thing I liked more than evil Sociopath Sylar was adorable doting dad Gabriel!

Not sure why everyone hated the bomb thing. I thought it was fucking sweet! Although I hope that is not how Sylar ends (assuming that the future doesn't change)... or would he have survived? Claire survived. He has Claire's healing powers. Then again, he was the one exploding. Hmm.

Interesting that future Nathan is still on his God-saved-me kick. I was annoyed about Claire's hair-color change. She's still the cheerleader. She may be a gun-toting, murdering cheerleader, but c'mon. A Brunette? That's such a classic villian trope.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 04:33 pm (UTC)

Re: Random thoughts

(Link)
At least she didn't have a goatee.

Everyone hated the bomb thing? I loved it! I said so! And I think Sylar might have survived. After all, isn't that how Future Peter got his scar? Maybe not, given that an explodey Peter shouldn't exist in this timeline.
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 05:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And since the whole ep was an homage and a half to The Terminator, anyway...
Heh, yeah, I was glad I had just rewatched the first movie earlier this year so I got that reference.

Bigger question - if Derek's going undercover as John's uncle, Derek Baum, are we to infer that Derek's knowledge of John's paternity is an open secret within the Connor family?
I can't remember who knows that he knows or how he knows or whether he knows that knows. You know?

Anyway, he totally confused the hell out of me by referring to "your father" when talking to John. I was all, "Wait, John's DAD? How did he know John's father? Who's John's father? Have we...oh yeah."
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:dgriswold
Date:October 7th, 2008 05:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
New Jersey is not that bad, but people who love the urban New York lifestyle tend to be pretty depressed by how close you can be to the city and still pick up all the suburban habits that define the aspects of America we tend to loathe. The PriceCo and Dog Shirts gags were brilliant, along those lines.

Don't ask me why Jersey has picked up the brunt of the disgust - Long Island, Staten Island, parts of Queens, and a goodly portion of Connecticut are just as bad in that way, if you ask me. Maybe it's just that it's a WHOLE STATE that seems to serve little purpose other than to be suburb of The City. A suburb with inhabitants that tend to avoid the Urb itself.
[User Picture]
From:maka2000
Date:October 7th, 2008 07:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I didn't get a chance to watch the most recent Dexter, but I was getting a little blase about the show, so I'm excited to read what I thought was the main show arc, is already over! That makes me un-blase and wanting to watch it right now.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 08:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ha! I'm glad! I'm also glad that what I wrote isn't really spoilery, so you're still good. I thought the Freebo thing was going to be the arc, but...it's not! So now I'm not really sure what the arc is, and I am very excited.
[User Picture]
From:homegoddess
Date:October 7th, 2008 08:45 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I thought Entourage was pretty boring. I remember watching stoned people back in the '70s and it wasn't fun then either. I do love Lloyd. I think this is going to be the season of E. Lots of success for him and not so much for Vince. I like him better a bit humbled, though.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 09:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I don't think E has let his success go to his head—Ari won't let that happen! Since his success has been minimal. I am glad, though, that he's getting the proper respect for finding that script, though, not just from Vince, but even from Ari.
[User Picture]
From:duchessdogberry
Date:October 7th, 2008 09:23 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Chuck is the only returning show that I'm loving this season. And even it disappointed me with the totally obvious lead-up to the Bryce reveal. But how awesome was John Larroquette? I always love guest spots from him.

The Wizard of Oz reading scene was kind of fabulous.

It was. Much like the FBI vs Cromartie battle set to Johnny Cash last season. It's a shame that the whole show can't be that good. Although, towards the end of the episode, it dawned on me that they're using the last name "Baum" now. I turned to my dad and was all "DUDE! Baum! Wizard of Oz!"... and his response was one of total non-interest.

Heroes is just dying to me. If everything is supposed to be big, huge, intense, and important- then absolutely nothing really seems that way after a while. Especially when the characters are just going around in circles and the plot only progresses about five minutes each episode. At least Entourage is funny while going absolutely no where.
[User Picture]
From:spectralbovine
Date:October 7th, 2008 09:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
And even it disappointed me with the totally obvious lead-up to the Bryce reveal.
I didn't think it was obvious! I mean, I figured that Chuck's Big Night wouldn't work out, but I forgot what the hell happened with Bryce and whether he was a viable option.

It was. Much like the FBI vs Cromartie battle set to Johnny Cash last season. It's a shame that the whole show can't be that good.
I just love that the show does things like that. Those moments elevate the show as a whole, in my opinion. At first, I thought it was a little silly, but it matched up so well, and then when they got to the part where the Wicked Witch melted, holy shit. It was so lovelily eerie. Or eerily lovely. Because Firefox doesn't think "lovelily" is a word.

Although, towards the end of the episode, it dawned on me that they're using the last name "Baum" now. I turned to my dad and was all "DUDE! Baum! Wizard of Oz!"... and his response was one of total non-interest.
Ha. Yeah, they used the name last season when we first found out The Wizard of Oz was John's favorite book. I think Sarah had some VO metaphor at the end, as she usually did.
[User Picture]
From:catatonia00
Date:October 8th, 2008 03:37 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm behind on everything you posted, except Heroes and HIMYM.

HIMYM: Subpar episode. Nothing stellar, but hilarious nonetheless. This show is so good in incorporating such real life and relevant aspects to their comedy, I could never begrudge them of their unbelievable shenanigans (ex: Robin). It just makes it a whole lot funnier.

Whereas, Heroes is beyond ridonkulous. Francis Capra should be relieved to be off this show already. And maybe KB would end her stint there before getting lamer than lame as their mainstay have become. If this wasn't one of the shows I watch with my sister, I'd have ditched it already. So far, it's been good to make a mockery out of. I'll keep it for the meantime just for shits and giggles.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com